Red Hot New Concept OTA's

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

:shocked:Take a gander over here http://www.istar-optical.com/ Now that's what I call thinking out of the box! No wonder I got such a great lens from these folks. Remember a good quality product is no accident. Thanks guys! :bow: :bow: Mike

#2 Jerry Hyman

Jerry Hyman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

WOW!

#3 ppfilbert

ppfilbert

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

hmmmmm. very cool, but i know for a fact im gonna FLIP out when im looking down my scope and see a 6000 mile long mosquito sitting on the Moon!!!

#4 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coupeville, WA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Hmmmm.... Any postings on timeline & pricing? Would these be apo or achro I wonder? Very intriguing.

#5 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Looks pretty cool. I'm interested and look forward to further developments and pricing. :)

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hmmmm.... Any postings on timeline & pricing? Would these be apo or achro I wonder? Very intriguing.

The lens says it's an achromat.

As an owner of both Truss Dobs as well as tube Newtonians, it is worth mentioning that in the Newtonian world, there is concern with open scopes that the observers body heat warms the air and causes issues if it passes through the optical path... Tube scopes are desirable for planetary observation...

Jon

#7 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Looks like it needs a light shroud. :crazy:

#8 bluestar

bluestar

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland Eastern Shore

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

How many baffles come with this?

#9 Dragonwatcher

Dragonwatcher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Coupeville, WA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Never mind - the pricing of this achro is on the web site. Found it.

#10 Istytray

Istytray

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Where the snow falls

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Fascinating! Wonder if it'll actually be a "GAME CHANGER"....

The description says they are developing one. They also seem to downplay its importance.

#11 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Never mind. I read the accompanying text, and it looks like IStar *will* be producing a light shroud for this. It's really quite an interesting concept--not at all necessary for small refractors, but it may increase the marketability of 6" and larger refractors, making scopes of this size much more practical from a mounting standpoint. I surely hope IStar succeeds with this new project! :applause:

#12 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

:john:

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

Never mind. I read the accompanying text, and it looks like IStar *will* be producing a light shroud for this. It's really quite an interesting concept--not at all necessary for small refractors, but it may increase the marketability of 6" and larger refractors, making scopes of this size much more practical from a mounting standpoint. I surely hope IStar succeeds with this new project! :applause:

As an engineer, one is always skeptical. I have to wonder about this design. Tubes are generally the stiffest, lightest solution in situations where bending is important. But they must have done their homework... the beams must be hollow.

If this is successful, it looks like the refractor world will have entered into the reflector world of trusses, collimation and thermal plumes, shrouds that pass body heat and distorted images...

Jon

#14 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• Loc: los angeles

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Why not just put that in a solid tube?

#15 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Why not just put that in a solid tube?

I think their goal was to make the OTA as light as possible.

#16 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Page, Arizona

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

Hi John,
this is why we combined it with fully enclosed tube at the focuser end. This tube is equipped with its own baffle set and acts as a baffle by itself. This is not just a simple open frame structure scope.
cheers,
Ales

#17 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

Very innovative design, Ales. The MAIN reason I sold off my 6-in f/8 achro a couple of years ago was difficulty in handling the weight of that beast...both the mount and me.

But this has gotten me to thinking. I have an 102mm f/6 that is robustly built and gets little use. Some inexpensive arrow shafts, plywood plates, and black craft foam for a "tube"...

#18 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

Very cool. :cool: I would be more comfortable with a dewshield in front of the objective as well as, say, a short extension behind the objective at least 4-6" long, to protect the glass.

#19 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

Hello John,
yes, the beams are hollow of course. You are correct on the circular shape being very strong but you loose this advantage quickly with added length especially without having any cross-sections. The 3 hollow beam structure is CNC machined, each hole is perfectly lined up and with 3 cross-sections and two end sections hard-bolted to the bars the overall construction is substantially stronger compared to a single tube. Also the thermal stability is superior, owners of long refractors can tell you more about this.. Dont forget, this is still a refractor with a enclosed tube at the focuser end and with number of baffles in it. The light can not entre the focuser direct. All things mentioned has been taken in consideration. Definitely this TCR truss/enclosed tube refractor does not need collimation more frequently than any classic refractor on the market. Actually it is engineered for stability so once you get the collimation right, you wont have to touch it again for years if you handle the scope with care.
best regards,
Ales

#20 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

First one of these new TCR style scopes (Truss Construction Refractor)is already listed with price. More will follow. We will replace/add this style to all scopes of 150mm and larger and F/8 and slower. In addition to this scope we have 6 more on our CAD design screens. All will be introduced one by one during 2013.
regards,
Ales

#21 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

This TCR style (Truss & rear tube construction) will be introduced for all Achromats, all R30/ R35 doublet OTAs and all large APOs or semi APO triplets. The main goal was to reduce weight to a bare minimum and we achieved an average reduction of fully loaded OTA weight by over 50 percent. So these scopes weight less than half compared to their fully enclosed tube brothers. So there is no need to get into larger, more expensive mount. It is better to get a super lighweight scope instead.

#22 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

Term "Game Changer" is direcly related to superior weight reduction while keeping all important aspects of an enclosed tube construction intact. We achived over 50 percent weight reduction compared to fully enclosed tube models while keeping the resolution at similar levels. So if an 8" refractor can weight same as 6" model only yesterday I think the term was well chosen. Thank you all for your comments.
cheers,
Ales

#23 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

It is planned for those who may possibly need it, as per info we already released on this product. Same with a special dew shield.
best regards,
Ales

#24 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

Total of 4 baffle sections in this particular model. They are properly positioned as per ray trace computer simulation. Again, another similarity with truss scope reflector (SC, Newt...) ends right here. Even though this model look extremely simple and straight forward we put a lots of thoughts into it's development and we evaluated every single aspect of its theoretical performance. Now after first two tests under stars Im happy to say that we were right.
cheers,
Ales

#25 ISTAR Optical

ISTAR Optical

Vendor- IStar Optical

• Vendors

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

We have 3 finished and other 8 models in different aperture sizes and F-ratios now in prototype development stages. All will be introduced this year.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics