Drift/slewing/tracking?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 moclov82

moclov82

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Hi all, I don't quite know all the correct terminology so forgive my if this seems wrong. I have a cpc800 and after I align it, I use the remote to have it find a planet (Saturn for example) it seems to find it ok but immediately starts to wander off at a fairly quick pace, very noticeably ticking back somewhere else. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting I need to change?

#2 snowcrow

snowcrow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Make sure you end each star alignment with a "up and right" move. Try that and see if it helps.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Hi all, I don't quite know all the correct terminology so forgive my if this seems wrong. I have a cpc800 and after I align it, I use the remote to have it find a planet (Saturn for example) it seems to find it ok but immediately starts to wander off at a fairly quick pace, very noticeably ticking back somewhere else. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting I need to change?

Hi and Welcome to Cloudy Nights. :waytogo:

It should track accurately once the object is centered. Why it doesn't, it's not a mount I familiar with but I am sure someone here is and will get things straightened out.

Jon

#4 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

you're level and your clutches are both tight, right?

Jim

#5 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Welcome to CN. Is this a new scope or a "new to you"?

#6 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Welcome to CN! Planetary tracking is a poor example. Use a star and let us know what you find when tracking sidereal objects.

While I can usually keep an object for awhile in my eyepiece it usually drifts out. Especially in alt-az.

Good luck :)

#7 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

welcome.. ive had good luck with mine.. and i havent done the up and to right trick yet either. yes the above checks? also try to make sure your alignment stars are well away from each other. try to get one on opposite side of the meridian (ie: one in the western part of the sky, one in east,,). and as close to centered in the eyepiece as you can get

#8 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

When picking your alignment stars they should be AT LEAST 25° apart. If you hold one of your hands up to the sky with your arm outstretched, spread the fingers on that hand as far apart as you can get them.
The distance from the tip of your thumb to the tip of your baby finger will be about 25°. I try and get 50° if I can.
Welcome to our site you will get plenty of help here. :bow:

#9 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

the orion atlas eq mount manual recommends 20 to 60* separation in declination between alignment stars, but i didn't want to confuse the issue too much (shrug). And to pick stars from opposite sides of the meridian. I shoot for as much separation as I can on any tracking mount since I read that.

#10 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Seems to me that there is some backlash present. Depending on the rate and direction of drift with respect to sidereal, it could be that once the mount has 'centered', it takes a period of time for the backlash to run out, or it could be the mount itself compensating for backlash as defined at the factory, set by the user or determined during a 'training' of the drive.

#11 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Glenn,

Isn't that what the up and to the right suggestion should help with? I don't think there's any training or user settings for that in the CPC unfortunately (at least set by the user). Ill check.

#12 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Oh! There is a menu option called "goto approach"! Designed to minimize backlash. Check that out.. There is also PEC in utility menu, which Might improve things too.

#13 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

There is an anti backlash setting that can be adjusted :foreheadslap:
Page 23 in manual, pg 24 in the other two things

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics