Photo

SBIG STF-8300M - Filter Wheel?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FuriousRabbit

FuriousRabbit

Lift Off

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Am I seeing this right that the only filter wheel that will work with the STF-8300M is the one sold by SBIG for ~$1k?

I'm just wondering if I could use something like the Orion nautilus? Excuse my ignorance here I'm still very much in the learning process of CCD's :)

#2 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

The Orion filter wheel will work just fine ... the only difference is you will now have an extra USB cable going to your computer. Also, if you go with the Orion 2" filter wheel ... take care that the filters don't run into the position sensor inside. It's been a problem with this particular filter wheel and I'm not sure if Orion has implemented a fix.

#3 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Am I seeing this right that the only filter wheel that will work with the STF-8300M is the one sold by SBIG for ~$1k?

I'm just wondering if I could use something like the Orion nautilus? Excuse my ignorance here I'm still very much in the learning process of CCD's :)

There are two SBIG filter wheels designed for the STF-8300M; neither one costs $1000, however. The primary advantages to the SBIG filter wheels are that they attach directly to the camera body (by replacing the front cover), which makes the whole assembly thinner and possibly less prone to flex, and the fact that the SBIG filter wheels are connected to the camera's I2C port for power and control instead of requiring a separate cable.

But you don't need to use an SBIG filter wheel, as has already been pointed out.

-- Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics