1 reply to this topic

#1 Tom S.

Tom S.

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Benicia, Calif.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hi Mates,

I'll be travelling in Australia this May (2013) and will be able to attend the SPSP. Judging from the web pages for this event, it looks pretty awesome!

I cannot find anything about how to register. Is registration or reservation required? Any fees? I am waiting for a reply to an email to ASNSW but so far haven't heard.

I'm also interested in any general advice anyone can offer about this star party. My default plan would be to rent a small camper van to get to the site and sleep in once there.

In terms of bringing equipment, I would be able to travel with my SV102ED (102mm refractor) OTA, which is small enough for airline carry-on baggage, but I don't think travelling with a mount and tripod is feasible.

If anyone would be willing to lend me a mount (driven or not) with Vixen-style dovetail compatibility, I'd be happily indebted!

Last year I was briefly in the southern hemisphere, and was able to see Omega Centauri, Jewel Box, Eta Carina, and a few other exotic (to me) objects and constellations, but all I had were my eyes and a pair of binoculars, and the weather never fully cooperated. I would love to see more!

- Tom

#2 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

a moderate sized camera tripod/head will fit in a large suitcase surrounded by clothes
maybe not the most solid mount for a 102mm refractor, but workable

edj

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics