• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Well my new XLT 102 arrived this afternoon in two large boxes....and OMG. I first have to say that the service from Adorama was fantastic. After ordering the scope two days ago and the CC card clearing yesterday afternoon, the scope was shipping yesterday evening. Less than 24 hrs later it was at my door. That is fast shipping in tho it was going from NJ to Ma. All arrived safe and sound.

I was very surprised to see two large boxes on the porch and thought ok lots of packaging, which is good. Here the two boxes the scope arrived in.
Posted Image

I first opened the long box containing the OTA. WOW that is one gorgeous OTA. It was a bit longer than I expected and the diameter as well. Mind you, I have never owned a refractor so this is all new to me.
Posted Image

Next came the BIG box. This was, same with the OTA box, double sturdy boxes with several smaller boxes inside. I opened the larger box containing the tripod......arghhh shock. That tripod is darn big, and heavy. It looks smaller in pics and in real life this is one massive and sturdy tripod. Now I understand why people recommend better and sturdier tripods/mounts than the EQ1 and 2.
Only took about ten careful minutes to assemble the tripod and EQ mount. The I took out the instructions to make sure I did it right.. :lol:
Posted Image

A few minutes later everything was balanced and the drooling still continued.. :lol: I know when I have larger ep's and the 9x40 RACI I will need to re balance the rig again.

Posted Image

My verdict on the purchase so far, fantastic. The service from Adorama was the best I have had and pleasure to deal with.
It is cloudy and suppose to rain tonight, and the weekend, so first light report will have to wait until clear skies....the dreaded curse. Once I do a first light with the 102 I will change the thread title to first light.
A huge thank you to all who put up with all my questions and for helping decide and ultimately buying this scope.

#2 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

• Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Looks fantastic.
It will be cloudy for the next 3 weeks now.

#3 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Great rig. I love that blue OTA. Hope that you get to use it real soon.

#4 Grandpa Jim

Grandpa Jim

old fogey

• Loc: GREAT AMERICAN DESERT

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Have fun with it :woohoo:..........I will be following closely, as I have wanted one of these. Probably won't happen now, due to income cuts, but look forward to hearing your experience with it anyway.

#5 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: White Bluff, TN

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Congratulations Rob on the "new addition" to the family! :). Pictures look very familiar too. Mine is setting assembled in my living room next to my Z12 dob. Unfortunately it has been cloudy and or raining for the past several days and looks to continue for several more days! :(

Look forward to reading your first light report.

Happy stargazing!
Gary

#6 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Congratulations !!

#7 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

They certainly are good looking scopes. Looking forward to your first light report! :waytogo:

#8 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Looks AWESOME!

If you find the mount is too heavy to move by itself, just unscrew the counterweight bar (and weights). Make sure your OTA is already off the mount before that.

For my EQ mount I move the tripod/mount outside first. Then I put on the eyepiece tray. I then try to get it to a good height. Remember the tube is long, so the tripod will need to be extended for us taller folks. Then I put on the bar/counterweights. After that I put the OTA on and balance it.

You'll want to setup your EQ for your latitude and point it toward Polaris. That will help with tracking objects.

Be careful as you move the scope that your eyepieces don't fall out. Your OTA will get into weird positions and you will need to adjust your diagonal. Make sure all that stuff is nice and tight.

EQ mounts can be a bit more work, but they do have their advantages. Mainly being easy to track objects.

#9 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

awesome. you will have fun with this for sure :)

#10 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

I found a few old pictures of my since sold 4 inch F10...similar to yours. I do like the newer look with the blue and white. I still have the mount though.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

string for not losing the caps? thats a good idea, wonder why you dont see that on scopes more often!

#12 dennilfloss

dennilfloss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Looking very nice! :)

#13 Julio

Julio

Messenger

• Loc: Pembroke Pines ,FL

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Thats a gorgeous scope!

#14 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Free State of Arizona

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

:jump: :yay: :band: :gve: :getem: :banjodance: :tomatodance: :rockon: :whee: :woohoo: :locked: :sumo: :flower:

#15 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

There is nothing like the smell of fresh cardboard to repel a clear sky lol
Nice scope, that’s a good choice congrats :waytogo:

#16 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Congrats on the new arrival!! Hope your skies clear up ASAP!

-- Chris

#17 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Be careful as you move the scope that your eyepieces don't fall out. Your OTA will get into weird positions and you will need to adjust your diagonal. Make sure all that stuff is nice and tight.

This is very sage advice. I've almost had a nice 2" EP hit the ground because I didn't have the thumb screws that hold the diagonal tight enough. I swung the scope to an area of sky and the weight of the EP caused the diagonal to rotate and almost fall out. I do wish the scope had compression rings to hold the diagonal in place instead of the thumb screws.

#18 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Thanks all. She is a beauty eh. I'll have to do a test move of the scope this weekend. First with the OTA on, then off and if need be the weights too. I'm thinking I aonly have to carry it a few feet, out the door and then abut ten feet to my viewing corner. Well it sounds easy, but now that I HAVE the scope I can understand what every one was talking about, and why dob's are suggested.
yeah....first light might be a few days from now. Had clear skies all week...and now rain.

#19 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

How are those clouds looking through the scope? Lol .. Sorry couldn't resist :)

#20 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

This is very sage advice. I've almost had a nice 2" EP hit the ground because I didn't have the thumb screws that hold the diagonal tight enough. I swung the scope to an area of sky and the weight of the EP caused the diagonal to rotate and almost fall out. I do wish the scope had compression rings to hold the diagonal in place instead of the thumb screws.

I noticed this immediately on my daughter's ED80. Although I changed to a MoonLite focuser, which does have a compression ring (with 3 thumbscrews!), if I'd kept the original focuser, I'd for sure be using one of these:

Baader Click-Lock

-- Chris

#21 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Congratz on the new rig newtoskies. You should be able to pick
it all up and move to your viewing area. But then you have heavier legs on yours.
(Wish I had those legs) GOLGO13 are those the original legs on
that cg4?

Posted Image
IMGP5069 by jendave3, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMGP5070 by jendave3, on Flickr

#22 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

I typically carry mine in one piece -- weights and all. For the 102 you really only need the one larger counterweight, which I think is 7lbs.

The stance of the tripod legs is fairly wide, so it can be difficult to maneuver through the house. To counter this I loosen the knob that holds on the accessory tray so it will drop a little. This allows me to fold the legs in some so that the tripod will fit through doorways easier.

Once I have the scope outside, if I want to extend the legs, I take the scope off and set it on the patio table while I extend the legs and then put the scope back on and balance. I can have the scope from the front bedroom out the back door and observing in less than 10 minutes.

#23 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

The stance of the tripod legs is fairly wide, so it can be difficult to maneuver through the house. To counter this I loosen the knob that holds on the accessory tray so it will drop a little. This allows me to fold the legs in some so that the tripod will fit through doorways easier.

I was thinking the same with the ep tray. Loosen a bit and turn it to the side enough to fold the legs a bit.
Yep the SS legs are great and really is one sturdy mount,she doesn't budge much at all when I bump or shake her.

Matt, LOL..yeah nothing but clouds to look at here, same as you I bet.

#24 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

I keep the OTA in the house, but I keep the mount/tripod in the shed (ready to pull out and North Align), slap on the scope (who says scratches on dovetails can't tell you something, especially if they're all in the same spots). And ready to go in less than 10 minutes. Love this scope on Jupiter; went out and picked up a couple of orthos to try out on this scope since I don't need the wider FOV with the tracking. Unfortunately, the weather isn't going to allow me to try them out for a few days. Hey Guys, its noon, and we just broke into double digit temps!!!!!

#25 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I just got done replacing the foam in my accessory case and will now go drool....I mean look at the scope. Gonna see how it will work with altaz mode.
My Dob is now in the shed but will be moved to the garage once I clean it out. The 102 will stay in the house as I don't have to carry it far. Also will try to re balance with just the one weight, will lighten the load a bit.

Still cloudy and rainy here and a warm 45F. At least I have the new issues of S&T and Sky at Night to read the next couple days until I can use the scope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics