Jessop's no more

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

For many years, high street stores in the UK have included a branch of Jessop's, a camera and optics outlet. Today, all of it's outlets closed their doors for the last time,the latest high street victim of the double recession.

It is with more than a single note of sadness that I report this,for not only have I purchased several binoculars from the company over the years,but it's shops were about the only ones in town and city centres where over the past decade or so, one could actually see binoculars and spotting scopes from the likes of Leica and Swarovski "in the flesh",as it were.

Kenny

#2 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

It's a sad day indeed Kenny...

#3 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

So there has been a double dip recession in England. The economic reporting on England has not been clear here in the US. I do read the BBC news, but, very oddly, it seems to be heavily tilted towards reporting US news.

#4 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

I hear ya...

When we shop and hang out at a favorite store, we invest more than the money in our pocket. We learn a great deal from seeing and handling the inventory, and talking with the long-term sales people in the store. In a very real sense, we are all in this together: owners, suppliers, employees, customers et. al.

Kenny, thank you for sharing this sad news from your spot on our pond.

#5 ronharper

ronharper

Vanguard

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Kenny,
That is sad piece of news. Camera shops that carried binoculars are dying in the US too.

But there is a positive note here, in part the upswing of small birding shops that often carry a couple of good binoculars, small enough to be suitable for birding of course. The bigger part of upswing is the increase in the big box high end sporting goods stores, catering to hunters and fishermen. There is where you can find good selections of the top brands. They are way too big to seem personal, but they have the stuff. Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, and Bass Pro.

Is there a British upswing somewhere?
Ron

#6 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

Ron,
News reports over the past three years have been littered with what have proven to be false hopes of recovery,but we are in danger of digressing into forbidden territories of discussion.

My personal impression is the only businesses experiencing rising trade are online retailers.

It would be a sad day indeed if there came a time when all former towns and cities became ghost areas, devoid of all shops, perhaps replaced by
bland ,high security, windowless warehouses where goods were simply stored following transportation from the Far East, awaiting delivery to online purchasers.

#7 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Ron,

My personal impression is the only businesses experiencing rising trade are online retailers.

Sad-yes
but
we only have ourselves to blame.

We vote for the companies survival with our money, our spending.
I can vote for the local store by giving them my money, or
I can vote against them by buying on the internet.

when we leave the stores, they then leave us

edj

#8 ianatcn

ianatcn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

Hi Kenny,

The reason I switched from Jessops to London Camera Exchange (Winchester branch) is that Jessops were unwilling to get the higher value binoculars in for me to try out. LCE on the other hand are happy for me to try as many pairs side by side as I like. That is why many of my recent purchases have been through them. They also did me a price on the Zeiss 20x60s that matched the best I had seen at any reputable online store. I have no connection with this company other than being a satisfied customer.

I agree with Bob though, it is more than just an investment in money and I like to go into a store and be trusted to try out the equipment.

It is always sad when one of the front runners goes and competition is reduced, which can't be a good thing for us consumers. It goes without saying that my heart goes out to the 2,300 employees (many of them enthusiasts like us) who now find themselves out of work in a very difficult economic climate.

#9 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

So there has been a double dip recession in England. The economic reporting on England has not been clear here in the US. I do read the BBC news, but, very oddly, it seems to be heavily tilted towards reporting US news.

That's what they are reporting, but I take what the media says with a spoon of salt... ;)

#10 Sgt

Sgt

Apollo

• Loc: Under the southern horn of the bull

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'm also quite sad at the passing of Jessops, but it was the victim of people just using it as a showroom for merchandise they intend on buying for less online. Pretty short sighted really.

Joad,
The BBC website you see depends where you are. When I'm outside the UK I get a different version with more stories relating to the part of the world I'm in.

#11 planetmalc

planetmalc

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hi Kenny,

The reason I switched from Jessops to London Camera Exchange (Winchester branch) is that Jessops were unwilling to get the higher value binoculars in for me to try out. LCE on the other hand are happy for me to try as many pairs side by side as I like. That is why many of my recent purchases have been through them. They also did me a price on the Zeiss 20x60s that matched the best I had seen at any reputable online store. I have no connection with this company other than being a satisfied customer.

I agree with Bob though, it is more than just an investment in money and I like to go into a store and be trusted to try out the equipment.

It is always sad when one of the front runners goes and competition is reduced, which can't be a good thing for us consumers. It goes without saying that my heart goes out to the 2,300 employees (many of them enthusiasts like us) who now find themselves out of work in a very difficult economic climate.

As a fellow Brit, I know exactly what you mean!

Jessop's was a GREAT store when they first started out in Leicester, but as they grew and became ever more rapacious, they took over, and made bland, nearly all of our favourite camera shops (and these camera shops would themselves be the few that had survived after the Dixon's chain had done the same thing a generation earlier). Jessop's became so bland that all their stores looked pretty much identical when you got inside, and they probably wouldn't be selling the kind of stuff that CN members would be interested in. It's a shame they've gone, though.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics