I'm more of a reflector guy but........

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

I came to the conclusion I prefer reflectors when I was saving for my "dream" scope and I was deciding between a TEC 140 and a Teeter 12.5" Classic. They are both a lot of money so the decision required a lot of thought. The fact that I went with the reflector says it all. However, when I go through the "Show a Picture of Your _____" threads I can't help it, I like looking at the pictures of the refractors the most. They're just so cool looking!

#2 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

I think they're all cool looking. Thats why I want BOTH :lol: I just cant afford both. I will probably get the big dob as well when that time for me comes. Congrats on a great scope!

#3 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis "the wise"?...

:lol:

I thought not. It's not a story the Reflector fans would tell you. It's a Refractor aficionado legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Refractorites who lived many years ago. He was so powerful and so wise that he could use the refractive elements to influence the photons to create a perfect visual image... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even achieve remarkable images with the most modest of apertures, free from worries about cooling, seeing, collimation and the like.

- Jim

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Refractorites who lived many years ago.

Indeed he was a Lord of Darkness...

Darth Newtoneis was that Bright Lord who showed that the Dark Lord had merely confused his subjects into thinking that a dim view was a clear view.

Jon

#5 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Indeed. However, unlike the dark lord of the Refractorites, the bright lord was quite dim, and could never manage a perfect image despite the abundance of photons at his disposal, though he did ultimately excel at making excuses for the performance of his scopes, and also evolved a strange aesthetic for boxes and polls.

:whistle:

- Jim

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

*BLEEP* that was too good.

Pete

#7 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

:lol:

#8 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

:gve:

#9 Ed D

Ed D

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

So, when does this saga of good and evil come out on Blue Ray? :gotpopcorn:

Ed D

#10 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Yea, but I’m an analytical guy and I like to analyze data. And 99% of the time there are more people on the refractor forum than there are on the reflector forum. So… maybe they’re right and we’re wrong.

#11 Jeff Porter

Jeff Porter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Utah

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

And one eyepiece to rule them all....

-Jeff P

#12 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

So… maybe they’re right and we’re wrong.

or maybe we're outside observing or building and the beautiful fracs are sitting lonely in the corner while their owners sit at a computer sharing pics. :grin:

#13 pogobbler

pogobbler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Indiana, USA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

Yea, but I’m an analytical guy and I like to analyze data. And 99% of the time there are more people on the refractor forum than there are on the reflector forum. So… maybe they’re right and we’re wrong.

That's because the refractor guys (and girls) are sitting at their computers, admiring their beautiful refractors set up across the room from them. The reflector guys (and girls) are either out observing or out tinkering with their reflectors to maximize their viewing pleasure when the sun finally sets.

#14 careysub

careysub

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

...I like looking at the pictures of the refractors the most. They're just so cool looking!

I, OTOH, think refractors mostly look about the same. Reflectors tend to exhibit an extraordinary range of designs.

Although things change with reflectors also, when did they have the equivalent of the Dobsonian revolution?

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Indeed. However, unlike the dark lord of the Refractorites, the bright lord was quite dim, and could never manage a perfect image despite the abundance of photons at his disposal, though he did ultimately excel at making excuses for the performance of his scopes, and also evolved a strange aesthetic for boxes and polls.

:whistle:

- Jim

The Lord of Brightness is also the Lord of Resolution and Contrast. He has the ability to more accurately place the abundance of photons than the Lord of Darkness and Confusion.

As can be seen by this thread, the spell of the Dark Lord has continued to confuse his followers. In the dim images of bright objects, they find their solace, communing with one another about the wonderful Lord of Darkness.

The Lord of Brightness teaches that all is good, there is a place in the universe for the Lord of Darkness and his creations....

Everyone needs a good finder scope.

Jon

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Although things change with reflectors also, when did they have the equivalent of the Dobsonian revolution?

The Dobsonian revolution about alt-az mounts and higher quality fast telescopes.

Refractors have undergone a similar revolution. The old long focal length planetary refractors have been replaced the shorter focal length, faster telescopes, often on alt-az mount, these have become quite popular. The development of the affordable ED/apos have allowed high quality views in a relatively compact package. One scope can do it all.. Enjoyable widefield, astrophotography, planetary...

The topic of this thread, the TEC 140, is an example of what has happened to the refractor world in during the Dobsonian revolution. 30 years ago, an 140mm F/7 refractor would not have been capable of providing nearly perfect high magnification views, it would not have been considered a planetary scope.

The SCT world has undergone a similar change, though the introduction of the SCT to the amateur marketplace was revolutionary and was nearly concurrent with the Dobsonian. The advent of the ALT-AZ GOTO mount was a small revolution that made the SCT more enjoyable than the old Fork mounts.

This is all driven because of light pollution and the increased mobility, the increased need for mobility. Big scopes that are easily transported and setup fit the needs of the observing public, most of us have to drive to get to dark skies.

Jon

#17 yonkrz

yonkrz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Minnesota

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

:grin: :grin:

#18 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

[quote However, when I go through the "Show a Picture of Your _____" threads I can't help it, I like looking at the pictures of the refractors the most. They're just so cool looking! [/quote]

Least we forget that it's better to look through then at.

#19 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Usually in my optical shop

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Is this the original trilogy or are you doing the prequels first?

DING DONG.....

Oh, it's the Lord of Brightness at my door. He says he's tired of poor mirrors causing him grief online, he heard about someone seeing markings on Ganymede with a 20" f/3, and he wants a good 40" f/3 mirror.... excuse me while I talk to him.

#20 ccaissie

ccaissie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Whitefield, Maine

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

How about a 10" f/24 gregorian...would look like a huge short focus APO. You'd have to chase trolls away with a stick.

C

#21 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Banana Republic of California

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

This thread. Tim Burton directing a film based on a Joseph Campbell myth story. :D

#22 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

• Loc: Huntingdon PA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

funny stuff.

I have a big dob 17.5" newt and a 6" F8 refractor.

GUESS which one the general public recognizes as a telescope?
The refractor.

Have you noticed that people not as familiar with telescopes look at big reflectors a little crook eyed when you tell them its a telescope? lol

#23 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Alas, it was the Emerald King with his verdant glass wand that gave both Darth Plagueis and Darth Newtoneis their powers. He allowed them both to open their eyes wide in order to fully see the true extent of what they are capable of. The Emerald King conspired with both the Dark Lord and the Bright Lord to separate all the peasants in the kingdom from their money.

#24 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

bet they'd even mount it with the eyepiece near the ground and celebrate with pizza........ :lol:

#25 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

...to separate all the peasants in the kingdom from their money.

Money? Money?? Oh, yeah... i vaguely recall that stuff. It was white, with fancy green markings, wasn't it?
:scratchhead:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics