Question re: Registax & Autostakkert

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rg55

rg55

Viking 1

• Loc: western US

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Something I'm not getting here...I understand that many of you include both Registax and Autostakkert in your planetary image processing. I have used Registax but not Autostakkert and do not understand how the image is processed in Registax and then moved into the other program. Can someone explain this for me please? Always looking for ways to improve.

#2 troyt

troyt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

The only way I'm aware of is to align, stack etc. using Autostakkert.Then to use Registax for post processing such as wavelets and other adjustments.

Hope it helps

Troy 8-)

#3 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

What Troy said.

I used to use Registax6 for aligning and stacking, but I just ran into way too many problems with seams in my multipoint alignment stacks. Autostakkert is so much faster and I have never ran into problems with seams.

#4 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

What Troy said..

#5 mrlovt

mrlovt

Explorer 1

• Loc: Smyrna, TN

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

Yep, that's it. I've been using AutoStakkert!2 to align and stack, and Registax6 to sharpen with wavelets. It's a bit more hassle than using Registax for everying, but I noticed a difference in the results.

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

Something I'm not getting here...I understand that many of you include both Registax and Autostakkert in your planetary image processing. I have used Registax but not Autostakkert and do not understand how the image is processed in Registax and then moved into the other program. Can someone explain this for me please? Always looking for ways to improve.

.....not quite sure exactly what you're asking Richard, but as folks are saying, AutoStakkert does a much better job of stacking your raw images/avi's - so you load the avi etc into AS!2 and set your MAPs, run it through the "Analyze" stage and then decide just how many frames you wish to stack in the "Stack" stage of AutoStakkert.

You can choose whether you want AS!2's output file to be either a .tif or .png file (this file/output image will be an unsharpened image stack of however many you chose to stack) and then you simply open Registax and "drag & drop" this unsharpened stack into R6.....

Registax will then quickly race through its' process and you will be presented with the unsharpened image in the "Wavelets" stage of R6.....this is where you apply your wavelet slider values as well as denoise for each slider setting after you apply each slider's values you've chosen.....

AS!2 does not do any sharpening of the ouput stack (only sample stacks)so it is necessary to use R6 in conjunction with AS!2.....of course you can do the aligning and stacking in R6 instead of AS!2 but mine and almost everyone else's opinion is that AS!2 does it invariably much better than R6 and the "seams" which are often created in R6 aren't there in AS!2...

Hope this explains things somewhat...so to be brief you use AS!2 FIRST and then "drag & drop" the stack created there into R6 to apply wavelets and any denoising.....this is with either mono cam or colour cam outputs! :)

#7 rg55

rg55

Viking 1

• Loc: western US

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

I think I understand the process now--at least until I try to run one. I had the wrong order and did not grasp the means of the transition of the file to the other program for wavelet sharpening.

Thanks all for your patience and clarity!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics