Photo

Gerbing heated vest question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I'm looking at getting a Gerbing heated vest and have a question about the various models. There's a vest liner which says it has heated panels on the chest sides and upper/lower back. The fleece vest says it has "uniform" heat. The softshell vest doesn't really say anything about where the heat is located, but based on price I'm guess it's more like the softshell.

I'm tempted to get the vest liner because it costs a lot less. But I'm concerned that the heat will be located in several distinct spots rather than spread out more evenly, which seems like it would be more comfortable.

For those who own these, can you comment on which model you have, where it feels like the heat is coming from, and how comfortable it is? Just not sure which to get or if it's worth the extra for the softshell vest.

-Dan

#2 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

I have the 12v vest and it is hot all over no zones, you need to get the vest sized properly meaning tight but not too tight. I got mine for riding the motorcycle in the winter and it will keep me "not cold" riding 60mph in 25° weather.

haven't tried it for astronomy nights yet, but if I'm sitting still the vest will be too hot with out some control.

I also sent them my gloves and they wired my gloves for $80. the gloves plug into the vest, vest into the battery.

#3 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

I also sent them my gloves and they wired my gloves for $80. the gloves plug into the vest, vest into the battery.

That's awesome. I'm curious: what type of gloves?

-- Chris

#4 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'm looking at getting a Gerbing heated vest and have a question about the various models. There's a vest liner which says it has heated panels on the chest sides and upper/lower back
-Dan

I spend more time outside in the winter than most. I won a Milwaukee heated jacket at a charity auction last year. I only used it a few times. The jacket has one large panel across the back and two panels in the front. It works but to me heat isn't needed where the panels are. It's the feet, hands and head that need the attention. A good sweater and a windproof outer cover works the best.

#5 Retsub

Retsub

Vostok 1

• Loc: Houston,Tx.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

Midnight Dan, look a little lower on the page for a bunch of mail about heated vests, lots of good info from others. Makes a difference if you choose the battery heated one or the wired one. I had the S2 jacket and chose it because it also had heat in the collar area as well as the chest and back side. It didn't work out for me, wondering if I had a bad one. Thanks. *BW*

#6 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Dan,

I would love to give you a recommendation on the vest liner, but I am still waiting for mine. I ordered in October but it was back ordered. After an inquiry from me in late November, I was told, "a few weeks". Well, it is time for me to inquire again. I don't know where their shipments are going. They apparently haven't had one available for me yet. :( :crazy: :confused:

Thanks for the reminder. :)I will be checking with them tomorrow.

Best, Linda B.

#7 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

too bad your not in NY, you could go to the motorcycle show at the javits and buy from them on the show floor.

that show is a really money maker for them, they're always very busy...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics