Photo

HD-60 vs. Xcel LX? Especially twist action

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

I'm tempted by these two similar eyepieces, but haven't found any videos showing how the twist eyecups work. From observer descriptions, it sounds as if they work differently.

It also looks as if the Celestron has less surface area to grip to change position--and as if the top surface is a hardish one, which might not be so good for eyeglasses.

However, they are noticeably less expensive and the viewing quality is supposed to be similar.

Any thoughts?

#2 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I've tried both. I had a 25mm X-Cel LX which was sharp out to the edges in my scope. Avoid the 18mm if you have a short FL scope as the field curvature is brutal.

The twist up eye cups work fine on both.

Cheers,

#3 SPO

SPO

Vostok 1

• Loc: PA, USA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

You might want to consider the Paradigm dual ED eyepieces which are basically the same, maybe a slightly updated design. I can post a pic of one with the eyecup extended if that helps you.

http://www.astronomi...pieces_c52.aspx

#4 Astraforce Paul

Astraforce Paul

Vanguard

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Scanning, thanks for the warning.

SPO, a photo would be helpful; interesting to see. Thanks for the offer.

I like the color and look of those Paradigms! My one concern is that the top lens looks recessed, which would make the eye relief less (I wear eyeglasses). Any thoughts on that?

#5 KevH

KevH

Ranger 4

• Loc: Maine

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I have a 6.5mm HD60 and a 8mm AT Paradigm. Optically, they are both quite good but I find that the HD60 is more comfortable to use. I like that the entire upper half of the HD60 twists up and it has a fold up rubber eye guard. The paradigm is flat on top and just not as comfortable to me. I also think the Meade has a slightly better build quality. Don't get me wrong, the AT is nice and built well enough but the Meade just seems ever so slightly better.

My observations.... obviously some of these are going to vary from person to person. I like both eyepieces quite a bit.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics