Photo

CGEM refinishing counter weights - replacing bolts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MacDougal

MacDougal

Vostok 1

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

I have a used CGEM I just received with 2-11 lb. and 1-17 lb. counterweights. I would like to refinish some of the counterweights, maybe all of them. One or two of the bolts that hold the counterweights to the counterweight bar also need to be replaced. Is there a paint (epoxy?) that can add a tough finish to the weights? Not sure where to get replacement knobs/bolts for the weights. Any suggestions would be appreciated... :)

#2 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

epoxy primer is plenty tough.. you can get replacement bolts with rosette knobs from mcmaster-carr. i don't know what is the thread size of the bolts though. and they have a hard plastic tip to prevent marring the counterweight shaft.

#3 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Take them to a local powder coater and have them stripped and refinished. Shouldn't cost very much (I use a shop that would probably do them for less than $20 a piece). You will get a much more durable finish and can even go with some fun colors or textures. There are a lot of online sources for knobs, but metric threads with nylon tips may be challenging to find.

#4 MacDougal

MacDougal

Vostok 1

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Ed great suggestion... BTW I purchase a used CGEM that you hypertuned and added precision worm and gear for the RA axis. What a super job! I had no idea this mount could be this smooth. My next new mount I know where to go <smile> I am so pleased with the excellent work you do

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics