Blew the Dust Off!!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Wanted something to do the other day. So I decided a little housekeeping was in order out in the observatory. For you newbies coming on board I restored an old Tasco 20TE several years back. This "Observatory" model is a 108mm x 1600mm top of the line scope from Tasco's "glory" days back in the 60's. If I had the room I'd attempt what Gary Barabino has done with his Tasco oldies collection. Sorry Gary but I might have an easier time of it than you...if like I say...had the room. ;) Mike

Attached Files

#2 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Just like brand new and not a spec of dust! Now if I could just only get the big scopes looking this cherry!!:cool: Mike

Attached Files

#3 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Nice Mikey!

#4 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Always love to see photos of that scope. Beauty!

#5 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

looking good mikey....one day... :bow:

#6 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

I really was lucky to have the felt lined tube sleeves for the 50mm x 700mm guidescope. Never had any gouges in the old finish to begin with. Both it and the 6x30 had their original dust caps too. The 50mm's cap screws into the dewshield. As far as I know that is the only dust cap that has survived those Tasco 50mm's. The finder's cap is that traditional mushroom head jobbie that slips on with felt. ;) Mike

Attached Files

#7 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

That's a really sweet scope Mike - More Pics!!!!

#8 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Here's one Dan.

Attached Files

#9 desertrefugee

desertrefugee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

So...you blew the dust off.

Was that just to take more pictures of it or to use it?

#10 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

No I've been using it on Jupiter. So I had the partial dust cover off and decided it needed dusted after a year with my expensive new Purdy 2" paint brush. Near apo like performance on Jupiter if it wasn't for that damn atmospheric dispersion. :grin: Mike

#11 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

I've had thoughts about building some kind of inexpensive observatory out back for the Horsetrail Cave and whatever else will fit in it when I build it. Nothing like a scope that's near the current temps so cool down isn't a problem and my own little space with a mini-fridge full of IPA's! Dust is always a problem here, and believe it or not, I get less of it in my garage than inside the house. Might be Dog Dust, I don't know...

#12 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Dan I like a few Busch lites but have mostly caffeine free diet colas. They are nice a wet sitting inside my little space saver fridge under my corner desk. But my fridge can't operate in freezing temps. So must wait until spring. :bawling: Mike

#13 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

An Observatory would be an extension of the garage - my space! It's on my bucket list anyway. I think I would have running water and a coffee maker, small cot, internet, and a microwave. I hear ya on the coldness - was stationed at Plattsburg, NY for 5 years. Tucson is much better, even though we're having 4 nights of temps in the 20's now!

#14 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Mikey,I'm always been impressed with what you've done with your 20T.Great work! But I do have to take another shot of the group to include some new additions-a complete 11TE-5 4.5" Newt, 4VTE Tabletop and the 60mm 55VTE variable power(15x 30x 45x 60x 90x). Gary

#15 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Gary if we could just combine together what we have. I got an idea just send your stuff to me then you can visit it all sometime. :lol: Oh yeah I forgot I don't have room....and I'm damned sure you don't either. Oh well. :roflmao: Mike

#16 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

An Observatory would be an extension of the garage - my space! It's on my bucket list anyway. I think I would have running water and a coffee maker, small cot, internet, and a microwave.

A man cave for your cave, that makes perfect sense.

How would you fit a car in there too? Garage in front, Warm room/man cave next to the house w a door thr to house, cave & etc. observatory in the back? or how?

#17 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• Loc: Eureka, Pa

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Just like brand new and not a spec of dust! Now if I could just only get the big scopes looking this cherry!!:cool: Mike

So.Mike, was that before or after you blew the dust off? :question: :lol:

#18 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

Gary ; I was so sad to hear about your wifes passing, I know what you are or have gone through. My condolences

The 11TE-5 4.5 inch Newt, it wouldnt be the white one would it???, Ive hunted one of those buggers for years.

#19 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

No Andy my wife is fine,but my brother Mel Dawson of Riverview FL. builder of a few scopes lost his wife a couple of years ago.He has some excellent scope builds here on CN,and is the webmaster of our site,www.vega-sky-center.com.

#20 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

:lol: :lol:Why I otta' havesome one there in Penn. come over and slap ya' silly!! Well the big 10" is out of commission for about a month. I'm having John B. my machinist work the focuser-tailpiece assembly into a click click rotateable system. :jump: |Mike

#21 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• Loc: Eureka, Pa

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

:lol: :lol:Why I otta' havesome one there in Penn. come over and slap ya' silly!! Well the big 10" is out of commission for about a month. I'm having John B. my machinist work the focuser-tailpiece assembly into a click click rotateable system. :jump: |Mike

:slap: :lol:

#22 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Well my 24 position click click rotateable focuser is still being worked on. The anodizer only dips on Fridays. So I'll have to use the Tasco another week. Figured I'd double check the altitude. Everytime you roll it out from storage in the corner the pier has to be replumbed. Then I have to recheck the altitude. Luckily Tasco has a nice flat straight spot on the casting. This time the 4-1/4" is testing my old eyes to the limit. But Jupiter does look nice thru the binoviewers tho. By the time next Saturday rolls around weather permitting I'll be stunned when looking thru the 10".:foreheadslap: Mike

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics