Do you have an eyepiece problem?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

My better half tells me I do because all I do is talk about eyepieces, surf the web for eyepieces and sometimes dream about eyepieces. She told me one day, I will turn into an eyepiece and even calls me "Mr. Buy & Sell" LOL.

Anybody else out there KooKoo for eyepieces? :looney: :bugeyes::roflmao:

#2 Moonglum

Moonglum

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

I been known to binge now an' then. Currently the beast is reasonably calm.

#3 rathbaster

rathbaster

Viking 1

• Loc: East Bridgewater, MA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

At one point I had nearly 100 eyepieces.
Now I have far less.
I have had several favorite eyepieces I swore I would never sell.
And then I sold them.

But I can quit any time I want to.
Just not quite yet, as I feel my collection will be perfect with the purchase of just a few more eyepieces.

Or something like that.

-Joe

#4 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

It's either eyepieces or drugs, I chose eyepieces.........

#5 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Its a gateway addiction that starts with eyepieces and progresses to eyepiece boxes!
Rex

#6 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

I used to be EPC (Eyepiece Crazy), but toned It down some in the last year (still have a ways to go). I say, If you're gonna use em, might as well have em! If not, get rid of them for something else.

Hey, some people collect art and quite a few Eyepieces are works of art that you not only look at, but look threw!

Mike

#7 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

My wife has put it into perspective for me. She said, "when you have more eyepieces than I have pairs of shoes, then you might start worrying!" I love my wife! :lol:

#8 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

No I don't but I know a few people that do. I call them equipment junkies not amateur astronomers, not saying your one since I don't know you.

#9 Grava T

Grava T

Apollo

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I would say I'm an optics junky. I just love everything about optics. Telescopes, eyepieces, spotting scopes, binoculars, monoculars, microscopes... :help: I guess you could say I have a problem. Although, I only have about 15 eyepieces right now. That's not too bad compared to some others on the forum.

#10 David E

David E

Aurora

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Now I have far less.
-Joe

Now I have a LOT more. I once thought about taking them all out in the back yard for a "family reunion" photoshoot but that would take all day, and I don't have all day. :smirk:

#11 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

The only problem I have with eyepieces is I don't have all of them that I want.

#12 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Now I have a LOT more. I once thought about taking them all out in the back yard for a "family reunion" photoshoot but that would take all day, and I don't have all day.

:rofl2: :lol:

#13 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Little Red Dot

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

The only problem I have with eyepieces is I don't have all of them that I want.

Ditto!

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

My story:

I have few eyepieces, last time I counted it was something like 60 or 70. I have a two sets plus a couple of strays that I use the vast majority of the time, about 16 eyepieces total. The rest, a set of Orthos, a set of Plossls, various eyepieces that came with this or that telescope... not much use for a Criterion AR or an old Jaegers but just the same, it's nice to have them.

I don't dream of eyepieces, I don't dream of telescopes, I don't feel a need to look through the latest and greatest. I dream of observing out where the skies are dark and clear, I dream of observing where the seeing is excellent. Often those dreams are real.

Jon

#15 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Not anymore. It has been over two years since I bought an eyepiece. I did it cold turkey. :rimshot:

#16 ibase

ibase

Aurora

• Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Recognized this problem when the EP count hit around 30 units, posted a thread here on just how many pieces one has to have to be considered as an EP junkie and was assured that 30 was not that high a number, maybe on the limit. And now it's grown to 70+ units, more than double the "limit." Oh well, most important whether one has 3 or 100 pcs., if one is enjoying, then there's no problem (it's the wallet/CC's problem really.) Just 2 cents.

Best,

#17 mountain monk

mountain monk

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Grand Teton National Park

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

No. I currently have seven lenses and that's more than I need. I want what I want, usually the best or close to it, and I rarely trade or sell. I want more and better observing, more experience, not more gear. I had an old friend, a distinguished scholar, who in his final years limited himself to 100 books. If he got a new book, he had to get rid of one of the others. An interesting discipline.

Dark skies.

Jack

#18 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

Until recently, I had over 150 eyepieces. Now I've brought it down to around 100. When I sell or give away the 20 or so remaining that I want to sell or give away, I'll be down to a reasonable 80 eyepieces. That's a reasonable amount if you have 12 telescopes.

:grin:
Mike

#19 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

I don't dream of eyepieces, I don't dream of telescopes, I don't feel a need to look through the latest and greatest. I dream of observing out where the skies are dark and clear, I dream of observing where the seeing is excellent. Often those dreams are real.

Jon

It's a fun post Jon, lighten up! :lol: BTW, 60 or 70 EP's is a tad more than a "few" and I'd say you're a "junkie" too. I own 5. I wouldn't want to bring out any more than 10 at the most to an observing session, but that's me. If you like to bring 20 cases of eyepieces on those back and forth trips to the car, all the power to you, LOL!

Until recently, I had over 150 eyepieces. Now I've brought it down to around 100. When I sell or give away the 20 or so remaining that I want to sell or give away, I'll be down to a reasonable 80 eyepieces. That's a reasonable amount if you have 12 telescopes.

You're considered a "junkie", LOL....

12 telescopes? Is that one for every child? Or one for every planet you view? hahahaha! :banjodance: :rofl5:

Cheers,

#20 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Actually no, lol......but not for lack of wanting, more like like of money to buy more, hehehehehehehehehehe

Got like 15 eps, some are doubles as far as focal length foes, but that because I have a 1.25 set for the 4 inch refractor, and a 2 inch set for the 16 inch, but all low power, so still need a 12mm 2 inch ep, lol.

#21 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Like any hobby of mine, I jump head first and buy like crazy. I thinned the herd and now have probably 15 or so. Of those, I only have three I ever really use. Actually more like two, as the highest power ep that's practical for me sits unused most nights. That's with my SCT and small refractor.

#22 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

What's wrong with me? I only have 26 eyepieces.......

#23 gregory93

gregory93

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Now I have far less.
-Joe

Now I have a LOT more. I once thought about taking them all out in the back yard for a "family reunion" photoshoot but that would take all day, and I don't have all day. :smirk:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#24 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

What then is enough? I have a complete set of UO Abbe Orthos and a complete set of ES 82s. Plus an ES 68 40mm. These are used with my two scopes, ED80 and a C11. For my WO bino it has two 20mm EPs, which is about all the bino unit can use due to it's inexpensive design. And for the folks that might ever want to borrow a scope, I have a set of Celestron plossels for an ST80. And last, but not least, an RKE 28mm. That's my set of 26. For right now, I have all that I need. Now, if I was to get a better bino unit then two 20mms will not be enough, in that case I can see maybe 6 more which would raise the count to 32.

#25 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

It's a fun post Jon, lighten up! BTW, 60 or 70 EP's is a tad more than a "few" and I'd say you're a "junkie" too. I own 5. I wouldn't want to bring out any more than 10 at the most to an observing session, but that's me. If you like to bring 20 cases of eyepieces on those back and forth trips to the car, all the power to you, LOL!

And just who is getting uptight now... :poke:

When I travel to a dark site, I typically bring my case of 8 Naglers and that's it. I might be a telescope junkie though I do spend a lot of time observing, I might be a bicycle junkie though I used to spend a lot of time riding...

Eyepieces are just eyepieces. Some people attribute magic to eyepieces, I like a good eyepiece but getting the best view is not about the perfect eyepiece. :ubetcha:

Jon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics