• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MadMan

MadMan

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Canton, GA, USA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

I am new to binocular viewing. Recently, I bought a binoviewer for my telescopes and after looking through my new WO binos and the C11, I bought a Unimount Light (12# capacity I guess) and am in the market for a good set of binos. I have been actively imaging for a couple of years and rarely look through my equipment, so I was pleased to see that even from suburban Atlanta, it was enjoyable.

I first thought about (and still am) a set of Nikon Action Extreme 12x50's and then started looking at the Fujinon FMT-SX 10x70's and 16x70's.

I have a pretty narrow IPD at 57.5, which was a big consideration, but also have 'older guy' eyes and wear moderately powered glasses for distance and reading now.

Given the LP in my area and the rarity of getting under dark skies (4 times a year or so), I thought the 16x70 would be a great choice, but the eye relief was quoted at a variety of numbers far less than my other two choices.

Hate sacrificing and was wondering why even with short relief binos an eyeglass wearer can't just push into the cups, focus each eye and pretty much get the same experience without his glasses on as you can get with longer eye relief #'s.

Thoughts on why I can and should still live with the Fujinon 16x70's to justify my strong desire to go in that direction are welcome :) Of course, reasons I shouldn't are as well :(

Thanks,

Mike

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

Mike, as an owner of 16x70s and a Unimount, I think they're a great combination. The 16x70 provide a telescopic quality view and they are a great size and weight match for the light Unimount.

That said, unless you avoid using your eyeglasses, there's a good chance you'll lose a good portion of the FOV due to the short eye relief of these binos. To make things worse, your narrow IPD will likely cause your nose to be pinched between the very large eyepieces as you scrunch them into your eyes. This latter problem may be worse for you than the first.

If you don't have astigmatism, chances are good you can bring them to focus as they have an approx. +/-7 diopter range. That's about the only good news. :smirk:

I strongly suggest you try them if you can, even if it means having to return them in the mail. Make sure you buy from a vendor with a good return policy. The Nikon 18x70 has a bit more eye relief and smaller eyepieces but unfortunately is hard to find and priced over twice that of the Fujinons now. Another contender could be the Docter 15x60 Nobilem. It has more eye relief as well.

A 12x50 would also be a good alternative, with options that provide more eye relief and smaller eyepieces. You mentioned the Nikon EX 12x50 which would work well. Even better would be the highly acclaimed Nikon 12x50 SE; it provides long eye relief and outstanding resolution and correction.

I'm sure others will give you more suggestions; there are other mid-sized offerings that may give you the proper fit for your eyes and face. You'll have to pick the price range, though, as the prices jump quickly as you enter the range of premium Porro binoculars.

Good luck in your quest,

Rich

#3 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

My prescription is pretty week, only .50 diopters in each eye.
My astigmatism correction is 1.00 left eye and .75 right eye.
Even if I buy the super thin lenses I still have a problem seeing the whole field of view in the 16x70.

I did discover recently that if I get very small frame glasses that I can see the enter field of view.

But my point here is that even with my fairly weak prescription I am just barely able to make the 16x70s work for me.

I was actually thinking of selling them until I got those glasses.

Another thought that should work for anyone unless you have a really bad astigmatism, is to buy small frame glasses and only get the astigmatism correction, leave the other part of the prescription at 0.00 diopters.

#4 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

Dr. Dick Buchroeder once had his perscription made in thin lenses, which he mounted directly onto the EPs of his 20x80.

BillC

#5 MadMan

MadMan

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Thank you very much for responding gentlemen. I never knew why some of the bino's I have casually put to my face over the years weren't really working for me until I started doing this homework.

I buy a ton of equipment from Opt and a few others vendors, but none of my usual guys carry the Fujinons. Will have to double check that becaue Rich you are correct - trying them first is the best option.

Relative to my IPD, I think given the Fujinon's are supposed to start at 56 and that my nose isn't as big as my last name suggests it might be :), I was hoping that wouldn't be a problem. I am able to see just one image using the WO bino's I just got without my glasses on for example. I have to press my eyes into the cups firmly to do so though and trying them with glasses was useless.

I think what is confusing me the most is that, not being familiar with binocular usage, I don't see how I could use them at all with glasses. Even when observing with EP's, I have always removed them because ambient side light would seem a huge distraction unless my eye was pressed into the cup.

Is it typical to not 'touch' the cups when viewing with or without glasses and to expect a full FOV without side-light distractions?

Now I am an Amazon Prime member, so maybe buying from them would give me return rights? Will have to check.

#6 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

• Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

I typically press my eyeglasses tight up against the (folded down) eyecups. I'd have to guess I wear fairly thin glasses and do not have very deepset eyesockets. I never view without my eyeglasses when using any binoculars. I use my Fujinon 16x70 as frequently as any other binocular I own.

Unless there is some nearby extreme bright light , I don't ever seem to ever have a problem with ambient light.

So, in summary I don't see any isssues at all using Fujinon 16x70s with my eyeglasses.

edz

#7 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Mike, you don't say the nature of your eyeglass correction; that will likely make a big difference whether you can see nearly the full FOV or not.

I'm just the opposite of EdZ; while he can see nearly the full FOV with his mild - correction, I can see barely over 1/2 the FOV with my strong + correction. I can't compare our facial features, though. For me, the Fujis are clearly a no-go even with my "thin" high index eyeglasses. I wear RGP contact lenses daily so that's how I get around binocular FOV problems... ;)

Even with the contacts, the eye relief is short enough that I keep the eyecups rolled down so I can rest them firmly on my browbones for stability. I do the same with my WO binos with similar eye relief. I always seek a direct interface between the eyecups on any binoculars and my face; they're never held away from my face to prevent touching since you asked.

Rich

#8 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

I have a pretty narrow IPD at 57.5, which was a big consideration, but also have 'older guy' eyes and wear moderately powered glasses for distance and reading now.

Given the LP in my area and the rarity of getting under dark skies (4 times a year or so), I thought the (Fujinon) 16x70 would be a great choice, but the eye relief was quoted at a variety of numbers far less than my other two choices.

I have an IPD of 56 mm, wear eyeglasses, and find the Fujinon 16x70s infuriating with and without glasses. I can see perhaps 35% of the field of view (linear, meaning 10% by area) when I'm wearing my glasses, and no more than 75% linear -- or 50% by area -- with my glasses off.

Too bad, because they have great optical quality. But I absolutely despise using them. I'm by no means a wide-field fanatic, but a 25-degree AFOV is too small even for me!

It's very hard indeed to find high-quality binoculars with 70 mm or more aperture for people like you and me.

#9 MadMan

MadMan

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks EdZ and Rich. I don't know the nature of my correction but will get my report from the eye doctor when they open tomorrow. Always had 20/20 until I passed 40, then started needing reading and now glasses for distance as well. Will wait until then to order.

I was expecting to have to press my brow into the bino with or without glasses and was wondering how stable the image is with a solid tripod, the Unimount with all the options and a 5lb set of binos.

#10 Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

I never wear any glasses when observing.
Still the Fujinon 16x70 doesn't produce enough eye-relief for my eyes.

Maybe just 'cause I also like to observe the sky at an altitude of over 30 deg X-p...

...and at the same time am not a member of the tribe of the flat-face-injuns :grouphug:...

:shrug:
Chris

#11 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Yes, if you have deep set eyes, even without eyeglasses, they're not for you! Your facial anatomy is critical; this is why I suggested trying before buying. A great performing binocular for one user is useless if it doesn't perform for you! :p

Rich

#12 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Although it's impossible to tell from pictures, I wonder if the Garrett® Gemini 15x70 WP-CF Mk II might be a moderately priced solution for you guys. Read the specifications. Also read the review in the reviews section.

In short, it would be nice to know if it is a 70mm alternative. However, somebody's gotta be a guinea pig.

I bet Zach and crew would reply to e-mail queries about this binocular.

#13 MadMan

MadMan

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

I am going to be checking them out for sure. In the interim, I bought a pair of Nikon AE 12x50's to start me off. I will probably talk to a vendor or two about trying out the Fujinon 16x70's with a promise that I can return them and taking a little more time on giant binoculars.

#14 RichD

RichD

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, UK

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

I would say that with your narrow IPD of 57.5, you are really going to struggle with the fujis and likely to struggle with the Garrett signature series. But do try them both first. I am a 61mm IPD and have to unscrew the rubber eyecups on the fuji 16x70 to see all the field of view and even then it's tight. I do have deep set eyes though.

Good luck in your search, the fujis are wonderful if they fit you and are well worth the cash.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics