Photo

Just Spent Some Bucks - But Not On Astro Gear!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hi Friends,

Well the SWMBO and I just spent some significant bucks on a brand new fifth Wheel camper. Now I've got to buy a tow vehicle to pull it. :p But we are looking forward to traveling the country looking for dark skies. And oh yes, it WILL easily accomodate both of my scopes as well as Susan and Rosie! :grin:

#2 ke4kso

ke4kso

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chiefland Fl.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hi Skip you gotta visit Chiefland (My Home) Its gonna be 83 there today, Im in Wichita Falls right now (and cold) wish I was there. Congrats on the new RV Have fun. David

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

... it WILL easily accomodate both of my scopes as well as Susan and Rosie!

Glad you listed the scopes first! :lol:

-Dan

#4 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

What the heck is a fifth wheel camper?

Why is it called a fifth wheel as I presume that it has either two wheels or four :shrug:

Art

#5 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

A 5th wheel is a trailer that connects inside the bed of a pick up truck..so the bedroom is actually over the bed of the truck ...

My brother sold his RV to buy a 5th wheel because he could just park the "trailer" in a park and use his truck to explore the surrounding area...easier then pulling a car on a dolly behind the RV...

BTW... it also made it nicer if he ran out of beer.. no need to drive a 40 foot long RV to the Liquor store...

You already spend BIG bucks for the trailer now you gotta spend bigger bucks for the tow vehicle.. LOL

Bob G.

#6 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hi Art,

Yep Bob explained it perfectly. Since it hitches in the bed of the truck instead of the rear bumper (or receiver as the new hook-ups are called), the physics of the rig makes the trailer pull with much more stabilty as opposed to a tow-behind travel trailer. Trailer does not sway when you are passed by a big rig or are towing in a crosswind. Many years ago, I was towing a small travel trailer, got hit by a strong crosswind gust, and nearly got jacknifed into the roadside ditch. Now days the hitches for tow-behinds are much more stable than back then, but the 5er is still more stable.

#7 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Hi Skip,

Congrats on your 5th wheeler. Looks like one hell of a nice vehicle. Hope you, Susan, Rosie, and not forgetting your Telescopes, enjoy some wonderful trips and see some wonderful places in it.
Yvonne and I owned a motorhome for over 20yrs and spent all our holidays touring the country. We never planned any routes, we just loaded it up, selected a direction to take, (North, South, East or West) and "headed for the hills". We had some great times.

Good luck with yours Skip.

Regards. Peter.

#8 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ahhh...

Thanks guys. That makes sense.

Image http://blog.woodalls...fifth-wheel.jpg

We don't (generally) have many pick-ups over here and any trailer is usually attached by a towing ball which is on a bracket underneath the rear bumper.

Like this:

Image: http://t0.gstatic.co...Il-pRESWmc7I...

Art

#9 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

I dont recommend a Dodge 2500. Mine is 2012 model (work truck, not personnal). I pull my travel trailer (also work) and get ~ 6.5 miles to the gal.

But anyways, CONGRATS. I will be expecting a phone call if you swing down my way Skip. Come see Jaxon and the family.

#10 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

This is almost identical to mine: Sorry, had to drop the image (TOS). Here is a linky-dink-a-roo with some pics.

The scopes will go into the large basement. The basement storage compartment runs the entire width of the trailer and has hatches on both sides of the trailer. The visible hatch for the basement in this picture is to the right an slightly below the entrance door. This is a picture from the Cedar Creek brochure since I have not received delivery on the trailer. I should have it by the end of February.

Man, am I ever excited to get on the road with Susan, Rosie, and my scopes!

#11 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

I dont recommend a Dodge 2500. Mine is 2012 model (work truck, not personnal). I pull my travel trailer (also work) and get ~ 6.5 miles to the gal.

But anyways, CONGRATS. I will be expecting a phone call if you swing down my way Skip. Come see Jaxon and the family.

Hi Matt,

Yep, I'll be getting a one-ton diesel (probably a Ford) and possibly a dually. This trailer is heavy (14,085 pounds GVWR and 3000-3500 pound pin (hitch) weight). I think I'm going to want the stability of the dually.

Don't worry; if we get down your way, and I'm sure we will, you WILL get the call. And you won't even have to have a bed warmed up for us. We'll bring it with us! :D We'll set up every scope we own and have a family star party, Texas style! :grin: Take care buddy.

Best wishes,

#12 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

I think you got it all figured out Skip. The dually sounds like the best bet. And im sure my family and neighbors would love that as well.

#13 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

OK - another question (think of it as part of Art's general education).

I'm guessing that a 0ne-ton diesel refers to the load capacity ('cos I'm sure the truck would weigh more than a ton), so my question is 'What is a dually'?

A quick 'Google' indicates that it might be a truck with a double-wheel at the back (side-by-side).
Is this corrrect :question:

#14 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hey Art. You should make it to Texas one day. HAHA.

A "dually" has 4 wheels in the back, (2 on each side)
A "one ton" is a bigger vehicle. It used to mean the payload capacity of the truck. but that was 50 years ago. The terms just kinda stuck through the years. My work truck is a Dodge 2500 (3/4 ton). The regular sizes are 1500 (1/2 ton) and bigger are 3500 (one ton)

Fords use F-150, 250, and 350 (dropped a 0)

#15 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hi Art,

Yep, Matt covered it all. Don't have any idea how the numbering system came about. But the payload capacity of those 350/3500 duallys is probably closer to three tons. At least 2 1/2. My brother-in-law has a Dodge Ram dually and his trailer has a 4000# pin weight and he has probably another 1000# that he caries in the bed. So they will carry/haul a LOAD! They also ride rougher than a cob when they are not loaded. :grin:

Oh and the curb weight of the truck is probably around 9000#. depending on how they are tricked out with options.

#16 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hmmm... I guess we had better get back to the topic of the NexStar scopes. So, in keeping with that, my 6SE will EASILY fit in the trailer! :lol:

#17 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

Hi Friends,

Well the SWMBO and I just spent some significant bucks on a brand new fifth Wheel camper. Now I've got to buy a tow vehicle to pull it. :p But we are looking forward to traveling the country looking for dark skies. And oh yes, it WILL easily accomodate both of my scopes as well as Susan and Rosie! :grin:

I don't believe the title. You bought this to move your scope around whilst travelling. :grin:

#18 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

Once in the sky haulier business; now, I suspect, a venture into a road haulage sideline. (?) :idea:

Skip ? :question:

:rofl2:

Best regards,
Tel :gramps:

#19 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Skip:
Now all you need is to build a dome on top of that thing!

http://www.patgarland.com
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UlXwU6wiIHI

-Dan

#20 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hi Tel,

Gotta have a substantial vehicle to haul my 6SE ! :rofl2:

#21 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Wow, Dan! What a great idea! Too bad I'm not enough of a craftsman to figure out how to do that. One thing I would have to be careful of: the trailer is already nearly 13 feet tall. So the dome would have to be much lower - or maybe one could set it up to raise?

Oh stop it, Skip! As one guy I know said, "Many years ago I had no money. I've still got most of it left." :p

I still have to buy that tow vehicle. That will set me back about the same as the trailer. There has to be a limit! :grin:

#22 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I don't believe the title. You bought this to move your scope around whilst travelling.

So true, Haseeb, so true! :lol:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics