Photo

How to take apart a Nexstar Hand Controller?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

I recently acquired a mount from a Celestron 102GT. I tried a shake down run with it tonight and I cannot get the up and down arrow keys to work.

My plan is to take the keypad apart and clean it. I removed the 4 screws in the back but the back doesn't want to come off. It seems that the back is being held on by the cord strain relief? Is there a trick to taking the back off the keypad (to take the thing apart) without breaking it so that I can make the thing work again?

#2 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

There are 6 screws in my hand controller....

Stan

#3 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:36 AM

Hi Brent

After undoing any screws that may fix the two halves of the hand controller (HC) together, if you can't easily separate the them then, most likely there are probably some plastic clips that need prising apart with a blunt, flat-bladed knife or thin piece of plastic (eg credit card). Most likely 2 clips per side (top & bottom) and one or two clips on the top and bottom edges.

Watch out for the ribbon-cable connector between the main board and the display. It is likely to be rather thin and fragile and may be held in place by an odd clip - sometimes these hold the ribbon cable in a slot by friction (just like posting a letter in a post box) and sometimes there is a hinged plate which snaps into place to clamp the ribbon cable - either way the cable/connector is easily damaged. Very rarely is the ribbon cable soldered onto the board.

You may find that you cannot separate the two halves of the HC properly and have to cope with one or other getting in the way when you are servicing (?) the HC.

Presumably you are cleaning the carbon contact patches of the keyboard?

Art

#4 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, six screws and the cable is very short inside so be careful separating the halves.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics