Toucam Woes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wichitan11

wichitan11

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I just wanted to share my latest experience with the Phillips Toucam, which I purchased from a fellow Am. Astronomer on Cloudy Nights. I loaded the software on my Windows XP laptop. It loaded with all its modules without any fuss, and then I used it to take cool images of the moon and Jupiter along with its 4 moons, early last week. Alll worked fine. But then the following day when I wanted to launch the webcam software again, it started to give problems such as the following:
1. The software would not recognize the camera being attached to the laptop..it kept saying connect the camera before proceeding.
2. When it finally started to recognize it, after connecting it again the umpteenth time..it would not launch the webcam from the main menu..no matter how many times I tried.
So I checked the state of the Toucam driver, only to find out that it was disabled. But enabling it did not help either. Finally I decided to reload the software, so I wanted to start out a fresh. Hence I decided to uninstall and then reload. But every time I tried to uninstall, it gave me an error message, something about a corrupted ToucamPro.isu file. Now I decided to reload the software and see if that helps the situation any better..but the reload would not go thru either, proabably because it already detected the software on the laptop. Completely exasperated, just when I thought that I would throw in the towel..it came to me.
I went into the folder, where the corrupted ISU file was residing at..and renamed it to TOUCAMPRO.isu.old. Reloaded the software, and voila, it reloaded successfully, and launched the webcam without issues. Immediately I saved all of my images from the night before onto the local disk. The camera works fine now! What an experience!! Has anyone else been through something similar? Can you share your thoughts?
Regards
Name: Irfan A Siddiqui
Years of Experience: 5, observing manually via 6 inches Newtonian Reflector (ORION) without a tracking device or a GOTO system.
Biases: 6 inches. Would love to move onto bigger horizons, but not sure if I want a Dobsonian (No offense)

#2 solshaker

solshaker

Vanguard

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

welcome to CN, Irfan.

what capture software are you using? when i first started using my spc900 (same cam) years ago i quickly learned that the program that comes with the cam is less than ideal. there are many free capture programs out there that work much better. i use wxastrocapture as i find it the simplest for me.

#3 wichitan11

wichitan11

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hi solshaker. Thanks for the input. Currently I am using the default s/w which comes with the Toucam..its called spotmeLife (exe). I will look into the one you have suggested.

#4 Foehammer

Foehammer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cyprus

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

I had great success using either wxastrocapture or wcctrl for settings control and QCFocus for previewing and capturing. The SPC/Toucam can give out sweet results as long as you remember the basics and keep the gain setting in control!

#5 wichitan11

wichitan11

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the comment Foehammer. Yes I am still learning with the Gain control..and boy what huge dofferences, with a bit of tweak. Although I will have to figuree out how to make te Toucan s/w talk to a 3rd party s/w.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics