14" LX850 will ship with electronic micro-focuser

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I have one of the recalled 14" LX800s, it will ship back to me as the re-ingineered LX850. This new setup will ship with the micro-focuser. How much back-focus will this take up and will it be a benefit our a weakness to have to use it?

Tony

#2 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

You know about as much as anybody else...

#3 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

I have one of the recalled 14" LX800s, it will ship back to me as the re-ingineered LX850. This new setup will ship with the micro-focuser. How much back-focus will this take up and will it be a benefit our a weakness to have to use it?

Tony

I'd be more worried about getting my money or my scope than whether the microfocuser is useful or not . After all, you may try it and if it doesn't do what you need, just remove it. That is, assuming Meade will ship your scope back to you before they go belly up.

#4 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

gillmj24, no I do not know as much as anybody else, in fact, I know nothing about the micro focusers, And, that's what my question was about, micro focusers.

Does anyone own one, and if so, do they know how much back focus they take up?

Tony

#5 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

Read this... if it helps; my guess ~3". A usual no specs from Meade.... Thx

Note: Read also this....

#6 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

gillmj24, no I do not know as much as anybody else, in fact, I know nothing about the micro focusers, And, that's what my question was about, micro focusers.

Does anyone own one, and if so, do they know how much back focus they take up?

Tony

A few years ago I had one and had some adapters made. I seem to recall the microfocser length was 2.75" .

#7 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Matt.

Tony

#8 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Thanks mmalik.

Tony

#9 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I have 2 of them, closed they measure 2.25" and I think they have a 1/2" travel. so open it would be 2.75" But one also has to take into consideration the length of the adapters, if needed.

Pro... once focused, it will not move unless controler is used.

Con... an extra wire to be cautious of.

Microfocuser manual

Theo

#10 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

another con is no compression ring. possible scarring of the EP/diagonal barrel. :( Thats my biggest complaint.

Theo

#11 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Theo,

Does the focuser plug into the focuser port on the mount, if so, is that how it gets its power and signaling, or just signaling?

Tony

#12 Pak

Pak

Vostok 1

• Loc: The Great Arc

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Is this the same focuser that Jason Ware was using of which he mentions in this quote from another thread "Once the mirror is locked I use a Meade zero image focuser to fine focus. It works well although I found a bit of a light leak that was eliminated with a.... sock. " ?

Just curious.

#13 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Nobody owns an LX850 anything yet (except maybe beta testers who can't say much) that's what I was trying to say. If it is the same microfocuser as from the old LX200GPS linked above - and who knows, but I doubt that's the case - then there are lots out there to get specs from. But nobody has an "LX850 microfocuser" yet. They stopped including them with LX200GPS scopes a few years ago, presumably for cost savings. I didn't know they had any left in stock, but the one linked is not a new product.

#14 sphelps

sphelps

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Is this the same focuser that Jason Ware was using of which he mentions in this quote from another thread "Once the mirror is locked I use a Meade zero image focuser to fine focus. It works well although I found a bit of a light leak that was eliminated with a.... sock. " ?

Just curious.

I wonder if the new LX850's will include that sock Jason mentions? :jump:

#15 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

Theo,

Does the focuser plug into the focuser port on the mount, if so, is that how it gets its power and signaling, or just signaling?

Tony

Tony, both. the focuser plugs into the base and is controlled for speed (x4) and direction through the handset.

for grins and giggles, last night I wanted to see physically with my own eyes exactly how far out the focus tube would extend without setting up the whole scope. I pulled out a power supply for a reticle EP that I made, that runs on 2 AA batteries. the jack on it was the size that fit the focuser. It would have worked and extended the focal tube if but for one problem. the direction the focuser wanted to move was in. so I would have reverse the polarity to get it to do so. This made me think of another project I had in mind, to make a power supply/controller for this focuser, so it could be used on another brand SCT, or mayhaps refractor. I think all it would take is a 9V battery a rheostat and a 2 way switch.

Theo

#16 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Thanks Theo, appreciate the info.

Tony

#17 Jay Wise

Jay Wise

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Near Williamsburg VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Quote.
I'd be more worried about getting my money or my scope than whether the microfocuser is useful or not . After all, you may try it and if it doesn't do what you need, just remove it. That is, assuming Meade will ship your scope back to you before they go belly up. [/quote]

And your source that Meade is going belly up is????? :scratchhead: Such a rumor will harm the entire astronomy community. Here is an American based company that is trying to be innovative in the face of a difficult economy. I think most who buy their products know of their track record but are interested in the new mounts they are developing. They are confident the optics will be good to excellent. If we were left with only one major player all of us will be the losers. :rant:

JayW

#18 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

[quote name="Jay Wise"]Quote.
I'd be more worried about getting my money or my scope than whether the microfocuser is useful or not . After all, you may try it and if it doesn't do what you need, just remove it. That is, assuming Meade will ship your scope back to you before they go belly up. [/quote]

And your source that Meade is going belly up is????? :scratchhead: Such a rumor will harm the entire astronomy community. Here is an American based company that is trying to be innovative in the face of a difficult economy. I think most who buy their products know of their track record but are interested in the new mounts they are developing. They are confident the optics will be good to excellent. If we were left with only one major player all of us will be the losers. :rant:

JayW [/quote]
I am not aware of any rumor re. Meade going belly up or not.
Read their SEC filings and insider filings and draw your own conclusions . Buy with confidence if you wish .
Right now, based on their own disclosure of their level of operating expenses and losses they couldn't continue to operate . They got some money (read that Rosenthal filing) but not much and they're betting the whole farm for that money. Will they succeed ? I certainly wish them luck, and hope they will. Is this certain ? Certainly not . Am I willing to risk MY money to see if they survive ? Certainly not , but YMMV .

#19 GSO

GSO

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

JayW

"Meade reported net sales of $13.8 million for the nine months ended November 30, 2012, a decrease of $3.8 million or 22% from net sales of $17.6 million in the same period in the prior year"

Details here:= Meade

IMO in a depressed market Meade should have shipped their f8 OTA's only as there is a demand for them

#20 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

And what does any of this have to do with the microfocuser? I'm so sick of this Meade-bashing.......especially by the low post-count folks....

Go manage your own financial affairs, we are all capable of making our own decisions......mods, might as well lock this one up too.

Andy

#21 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

I agree. Let's try to stay on topic of the Meade micro focuser.

Thanks.

#22 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

So, you can control the focuser from the handbox. How would I control it from my PC, can I do it over the serial cable, if so, what software?

#23 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Yes, you can control it and other functions from the PC over the serial cable with many different programs. Starry Night from Meade, stellarium, Cartes du Ciel, and others. Google planetarium programs or remote telescope control.

Theo

#24 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Can you manually use this focuser on these f/8 OTA's if you don't use a computer or a go-to mount?

Bill

#25 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Last night I was using The Sky X Pro's auto focus routine with it as well. First time though so I was playing around with settings until I decided to just use a focus mask and call it a night. Just wanted to chime in here and say that everything I've tried with the focuser seems to work fine with it. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. I am about 25 feet away from my telescope under my patio with a heater blowing on me. So much nicer to be able to focus without getting up from my chair. Also nice not having the computer right next to the telescope so I can see the focus.

:like:

Yes, you can control it and other functions from the PC over the serial cable with many different programs. Starry Night from Meade, stellarium, Cartes du Ciel, and others. Google planetarium programs or remote telescope control.

Theo

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics