Astronomy Hobby Male dominated, Why?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
250 replies to this topic

#126 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

I blame it on Tim Allen.......MORE POWWWWEEEERRRRRR!!

#127 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

In the last 3 years we have had 3 women join our club. That makes a total of 5. That is about 20% of the membership.

#128 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: near the edge

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Why not a scope painted and designed to be Lady friendly?

Now what would you consider for a scope to be "Lady friendly"? Guess I'd better give up my 16" because it's not pink. :smirk:

busted!.. :jump:
Posted Image

FWIW, Maybe some of it is caution being out alone at night., just not safe for a woman unless you are in your own back yard.I rarely observe elsewhere, except on vacations, but still have a grand time.

#129 Danzup77

Danzup77

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Id say because theres not as many who are into it......If there were there would be more. Theres no shortage of female hockey players, runners, hikers etc....the list goes on and on. Sure when they look through my scope theyre exited, but not enough to spend the money and time. There are those who DO obviously but its like racing and shooting. Sure theres some into it that take it to the level of "hobby" but for the most part there just arent that many that WANT to take it to that level. Theres not many men in cheerleading because were just not into it....not to say there arent men involved, just not many.

#130 Danzup77

Danzup77

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I WILL say though, my fiancees 7 year old daughter just got her 1st little refractor for Christmas and she hasn't stopped bugging me to take it outside yet. She always says she wants to look at space like her Danny does haha.....When she saw the moon once she even pointed out, "I can only see part of the moon tonight" haha......so far so good!!!

#131 BarbMoore

BarbMoore

Mariner 2

• Loc: South central New Mexico

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Some of us women carry a firearm with us when we're out observing. I feel perfectly safe when I'm out observing alone at night.
;)

#132 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

I am happily surprised with the turnout of Lady members
to this thread!:waytogo:... I didn't know you all were out there.
I feel like that old Dragnet show Dumb Da Dumb Dumb!:doah:

#133 bigstormgirl

bigstormgirl

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NW Indiana

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Very interesting thread. Most of my hobbies are male dominated, but that doesn't bother me and never really thought about the "why". I do what I like and enjoy and really never think about the men vs women ratio. I'm also into model railroading. Talk about a male dominated hobby!

BTW, I don't sew, knit or crochet. I hate it. My dob is black and my refractor is grey. Don't like pink. But I'm a hell of a cook. Go figure.

#134 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

"BTW, I don't sew, knit or crochet. I hate it. My dob is Bronze and my refractor is blue. Don't like pink. But I'm a hell of a cook. Go figure.

Same here, and it really surprized my mom (years and years and years ago) that I loved to cook---and am actually really good at it (so I've been told anyways). Guys like to eat too....and some of us learned to cook. I'm kind of actually the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm a guy who likes Broadway plays, likes being at home (actually prefer it), likes to read....and also LOVES astronomy (I must hate my bank account though, as I'm really good about not keeping all that dirty money in it :lol:)

#135 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Very interesting thread. Most of my hobbies are male dominated, but that doesn't bother me and never really thought about the "why". I do what I like and enjoy and really never think about the men vs women ratio. I'm also into model railroading. Talk about a male dominated hobby!

BTW, I don't sew, knit or crochet. I hate it. My dob is black and my refractor is grey. Don't like pink. But I'm a hell of a cook. Go figure.

I see the world becoming more accepting of the convergence of masuline and feminine interests/roles. That said, it's easier for a woman to delve into 'man' hobbies then the other way around. A girl that races motocross stands out a lot less than a guy who sewes and knits.

#136 mmclure

mmclure

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, CA USA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Guys like to eat too....and some of us learned to cook.

Interestingly enough, restaurant kitchens have traditionally been very much male dominated.

Personally, I learned to knit when I was young, although I haven't done it in many years. However, I keep hearing this little voice in my head telling me to buy a sewing machine.

#137 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

I just got a new sewing machine as a present a couple months ago, and my first project is my night cloak for observing. made another one higher end for a Christmas present for sister. Now working on little projects here and their :)

#138 bigstormgirl

bigstormgirl

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NW Indiana

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

That's cool Neil. I was always lousy at sewing, even though the women in my family sewed.

Forgot to mention my welding job. Maybe that's why I never really thought about the male dominance in astronomy since everything thing I do, whether work or play, I'm surrounded by men. :lol:

#139 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

OK, sexist remarks here but all true. I got back into astronomy in 1980. My then wife could have cared less altho she did buy me a nice asto book for a birthday present. We divorced a couple of years later. Astronomy had nothing to do with it.

For 13 years I was single. Most women I dated seemed interested in my hobby, at least for a while. The woman I eventually married was also very interested, at first. We even got married in a planetarium. Then her career came first and foremost. To her credit she does not even try to dissuade me from my astro adventures. She will go outside to look at a bright comet...and how often does that occur?

Mea culpa, one of the most serious and dedicated amateur astronomers I know is female. Our astro club is about 20% female. At last june's Venus transit outreach around 2000 people showed up. About as many ladies as there were gents and a lot of kids sprinkled in.

The unique thing about being an astronomer: no one owns the originals but anyone can view them if they take the time and effort to do so. The stars do not discriminate due to sex, race, religion, etc.

#140 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Another male dominated hobby is shooting, I show up at the range and get stares as I unload. Part of that may be the WWII Russian rifles I collect...

#141 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Sewing... About the closest I come to sewing is patching up my winter coat with one of those "Awl for All" leather sewing tools, but my wife likes to sew, and I wind up fixing some of her old sewing machines. That effort got me to join a sewing newsgroup she belongs to looking for info on that, where I go by "greasemonkey."

#142 bumm

bumm

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Another male dominated hobby is shooting, I show up at the range and get stares as I unload. Part of that may be the WWII Russian rifles I collect...

I like to shoot, and the ladies are all VERY welcome at the free public range I go to. I think the guys see it as not only pleasant company, but broader support for the 2nd Amendment. (Don't mean to get political here, but... well, it's TRUE...)

#143 dennyhenke

dennyhenke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fredericktown, MO

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

This is a great thread and I'm still reading through it but wanted to post something that I think folks here will find very inspiring! A member of our newly formed local group, the Eastern Ozarks Astronomical Society, has blogged her recent foray into astronomy. Of special note, she has some delightful daughters that are all taking a real interest in astronomy... I've been nicknamed the Star Guy thanks to their field trip out to my place in November... I had the honor of showing them all Jupiter for their first time.

In any case, she's not just diving into the visual aspect of astronomy but all of the science as well. I think you all will greatly appreciate her humor and her detailed thoughts: http://homeschoolblo...scattershooting

#144 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Denny that's a good post. It's fun to show kids anything. They are really honest with what they see. Good Luck with your new Group.

#145 droid  Happy Birthday!

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Read several of her posts, also book marked her page.
Good blog, and can you pm me your fb page she mentioned???

#146 Tori

Tori

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Somerville, MA/Warren, NH

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

I like to shoot, and the ladies are all VERY welcome at the free public range I go to. I think the guys see it as not only pleasant company, but broader support for the 2nd Amendment. (Don't mean to get political here, but... well, it's TRUE...)

I have yet to find an astronomy gathering or gun shop or show or range where I have not felt welcome, if I am able to ignore the stares. Luckily they don't really bother me, but I know they bother some of my female friends.

And when they find out that I'm REALLY into astronomy or guns they all get even friendlier, to the point where they could make some women really uncomfortable. They don't mean any harm but sometimes it's a little much.

I'm sure there are misogynistic gun shops/ranges, but luckily I haven't found them.

Like someone said above, if I'm out alone looking at the stars I carry as well.

#147 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

have yet to find an astronomy gathering or gun shop or show or range where I have not felt welcome, if I am able to ignore the stares. Luckily they don't really bother me, but I know they bother some of my female friends.

Tori, ever watch "The Big Bang Theory"? As Leonard said to Penny in one episode..."Don't worry. They're more scared of you than you are of them". ;)

#148 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Actually, i don't see what the big deal is. None of my women friends are interested in astronomy and TBH i've never even thought of asking them 'why'. Even within the boundary of our own gender, we all have different hobbies - and they can be quite varied. For example, some of my friends' hobbies include hunting, fishing, ballroom dancing, snowmobiling, football, soap operas, breeding show dogs, romance novels, needlepoint, web design, stained glass creations, home made wine, jewelry making and carpentry. Different strokes. ;)

This discussion has made me wonder something, though - have any of you Gents asked your non-astronomy male friends why they're not interested? Just curious.

:waytogo:

#149 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

"This discussion has made me wonder something, though - have any of you Gents asked your non-astronomy male friends why they're not interested?"

I'm certain the day they come out with a scope painted like a can of Budweiser, scope sales will skyrocket (pun intended).

#150 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

I'm certain the day they come out with a scope painted like a can of Budweiser, scope sales will skyrocket (pun intended).

Yeah, you'd think green laser pointers alone would have brought the boys out!

And, to mirror Tori's comment, I financed my college education making backpacking and mountaineering clothing and equipment, and for several years, sewed really large kites, and in a reverse scenario, it often visibly creeped out the ladies in the fabric store that I was the only guy in there, looking all shaggy mountain-man and all...... I guess it's purely a guy thing, though, to get all goofy friendly, I never once got hit on at the thread rack........

Oh yeah, my Sister and Bro-in law are both serious competition shooters, the guys at her regular range all know her, but it's pretty amazing to watch other guys' faces when she nonchalantly drops six rounds through the same hole in a target......they seldom get all goofy, because they're way too humiliated that a 62-year-old grandmother-looking lady just totally out-shot 'em!

Russ

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics