• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 dennyhenke

dennyhenke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fredericktown, MO

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

And so I thought the evening would go... but nooooooooo. It just had to clear up and now I'll be freezing my tail off. I wish I had a say in the matter but apparently the part of my brain that wants to look through an EP wins over the part of my brain that would rather not freeze. :crazy:

#2 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

It's really never a question for me if I'm gonna get cold if I decide to go out, I'm not because I'll dress warmly with long johns, heavy clothing, gloves, balaclava, etc. I use a seat warmer for my duff and keep a hair dryer close by for my face. My problem is deciding if I want to put the effort into putting on all that stuff ! :scratchhead:

#3 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Right now I'll take the cold just to get an hour behind the new scope.The new scope is a beauty but I can't just look at it I want to use it too.

#4 dennyhenke

dennyhenke

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Agree on the layers! I actually stay fairly warm... except the feet, little bits of face, etc. BUT, yes, it's a lot of effort... hahahaha. Which sounds funny but when it's cold I often feel like I'm going into battle. Of course, I'd prefer the cold to the extreme heat... one can only get so nekkid.

#5 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Same here Denny, can't shed past nekkid! I never look forward to the extreme heat and droughts of mid to late summer. I do look forward to winter and am always disappointed when they're warm and snowless, like now. Just ain't right :nonono:

#6 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

About 40 degrees is my cold cut off. I live in San Antonio and am not used to the cold.

#7 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

I wouldn't mind the cold if I could find a way to keep my feet warm. I manage with everything else but nothing I've tried can keep my toes from freezing. I need to invest in some serious cold weather boots or something.

#8 dennyhenke

dennyhenke

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Agreed, cold feet are what usually drive me inside!

#9 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

I wouldn't mind the cold if I could find a way to keep my feet warm. I manage with everything else but nothing I've tried can keep my toes from freezing. I need to invest in some serious cold weather boots or something.

That's correct. Street shoes don't even come close to doing the job. But in a good insulated boot your feet will stay toasty.

#10 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Thats exactly why I have my NexStar 127, superb little scope carry with one hand, I keep it in an unheated out building, ready in a snap... Big Views through a little scope...

#11 brianc99

brianc99

Explorer 1

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

I managed to solve the cold feet problem recently. Stumbled across a great deal on insulated boots at the Timberland outlet store. They are waterproof and heavily insulated, and all-day comfortable. Best $50 I've spent in a long time. Now my feet are the last part of me to get cold, and that is a great feeling.

#12 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Same here with the feet...and ears...and nose...lol. I HATE the cold, but for a chance at using the scope right now, its worth freezing.

#13 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Same here with the feet...and ears...and nose...lol. I HATE the cold, but for a chance at using the scope right now, its worth freezing.

Every time I see residents of the northern climes complain about the cold, it reminds me of an old Sam Kinison bit where he talked about the famine that was going on in Africa at the time (mid 80's): "Of course there's a famine, IT'S THE !&@$^* DESERT!!!"

:roflmao:

-- Chris

#14 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

LOL Chris. I hate shoveling snow the most, which I just got done doing. Wasn't enough for the snow blower.
Here in New England the weather changes from one day to the next. We had some mild days this past week, especially two days ago. The week before it was in the teens.

#15 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

It was warm enough in Raleigh, NC Sunday night that I was able to go out observing in my driveway at 3am wearing nothign but flannel pajama bottoms and a light cotton sweatshirt (64 deg F at the time). I took advantage of an hour-long sucker-hole in the clouds to get in a nice grab n'go session. It's very unusual, even in the upper south, for it to be this warm at night in January.

#16 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

After layering up elsewhere, feet getting cold are the killer for me too. Second is my nose and third, hands, but gloves do well enough. After doing a bit of research, I am going to spring for a pair of wool socks, like this one. I am also gonna pick up some feet warmers too.

#17 kansas skies

kansas skies

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

I don't mind the cold too much as long as there's little or no wind. I can dress for the cold, but that icy wind seems to cut through any amount of clothing that I layer on. :rainbow:

Bill

#18 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

After layering up elsewhere, feet getting cold are the killer for me too. Second is my nose and third, hands, but gloves do well enough. After doing a bit of research, I am going to spring for a pair of wool socks, like this one. I am also gonna pick up some feet warmers too.

Loose boots, a regular pair of socks and a good thick pair of sock and you should be good to go on your feet.

#19 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

Loose boots, a regular pair of socks and a good thick pair of sock and you should be good to go on your feet.

Boots are a good idea, along with the socks you mentioned mich_al. It's either that or the wool socks and/or the feet warming packs. This is my first full winter of observing, I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later.

#20 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

Good boots are mandatory around these parts. I've had a pair for years and use an old hiking trick of a thin pair of polyester socks under a pair of thick wool socks. For those really cold nights I might use chemical toe warmers stuck onto the socks. This is my 15th winter in the hobby and conditions have to be very good to excellent for me to go out in the bitter cold. Wind is the biggest problem and if it's 5-10 mph or over I usually don't bother anymore.

#21 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

"but apparently the part of my brain that wants to look through an EP wins over the part of my brain that would rather not freeze."

Yep, you qualify...welcome to the club :lol:

Eyepieces Anonymous--Everyone should own a dozen...or two...

#22 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Boots are a good idea, along with the socks you mentioned mich_al. It's either that or the wool socks and/or the feet warming packs.

Everybody's different, but I have found normal boots totally inadequate for winter observing. They're OK for short trips outside, but if I plan to spend more than an hour or two, I absolutely need insulated boots.

There are various different kinds. I use both traditional shoepacs with thick, removable wool-felt liners and vapor-barrer boots, where the insulation is permanently sealed between two layers of rubber. (These are sold Army surplus as Korean Boots or Mickey Mouse Boots.)

With insulated boots, the socks are irrelevant; the warmth comes from the boot itself.

#23 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Every time I see residents of the northern climes complain about the cold ...

Problem is that southeastern Mass isn't really cold; it's altogether possible to pretend that winter isn't happening at all as long as you restrict your activities. Last winter there was essentially no snow, and we've only had one week of subfreezing temperatures so far this winter.

Granted, last year was the warmest on record by a fair margin, and we might just beat that record this year. However, the long-term pattern in Boston is only about 3 years in 10 having snow cover throughout most of the winter. And even in a good year, the snow pack melts by mid- to late February. In conditions like that, it's very hard to sustain a winter culture of the kind that you'd find (say) in Norway or Minnesota.

In northern New England -- or even western Massachusetts -- you'd be a lot less likely to find people complaining about the cold.

#24 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Boots are a good idea, along with the socks you mentioned mich_al. It's either that or the wool socks and/or the feet warming packs. This is my first full winter of observing, I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later.

It's not just the boots, of course you need boots, but loose boots. A size or two bigger than you would have for normal walking. Big enough to hold a bunch of free air and have good wiggle room. And like Tony mentions, felt lined boots are especially good.

#25 brianc99

brianc99

Explorer 1

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

I can stay warm enough down to about 15-20 degrees, after which I go out only for very short periods. The scope is always cooled down, it stays locked up in the garage.

The main challenge I have is when the weather is very cold, if there's the slightest breeze my eyes water. Once that starts, it doesn't seem to stop until I get inside. I've been thinking of building some sort of portable light block, and if I get around to doing that maybe it'll help with the breeze, too.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics