Nikon D3200 users?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Before posting in the Astroimaging forum, I wanted to check my Nexstar family first.
Wife just bought this as a christmas gift from me to her. Anyone here use it? Comparable with the Canon T3i or T4i?
Any and all comments welcome.
Thank you.

#2 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

Hi Matt,

I've never used a Nikon for astro-imaging but I imagine that it will perform very well. However, and I don't know for sure, but for this specific purpose you might have been better off with a Canon as there appears to be much more software (Microsoft) available to support this make.

For example, I use Craig Stark's "Nebulosity 2" program to capture, stack and (part) process my Canon 350D images and also those from my Atik 314L. However while "Nebulosity 2" suppports many other camera types and makes, it does not support Nikon for whatever reason.

It is of course not entirely necessary to use such software in combination with an imaging camera, but obviously it does make the combined process of capture, stacking and processing a little easier with all being contained in "one package", so to speak.

All said though, there may well be some Nikon suppportive software available of which I am totally unaware but which is in constant use with these cameras.

Best regards,
Tel

#3 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

Hi Matt,

Like Tel, I am aware of quite a lot of software for the Canon range of cameras but know of nothing that is compatible with Nikon. Good job I have a Canon :waytogo:

#4 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I was afraid of that. I tried to convince her to get the Canon, but to no avail. It doesnt really bother me, I was just curious.

I guess I should have also mentioned that I was interested in strictly piggy-backing for now. Does that change anything as far as post-processing goes? I really wanted to make my own Milky Way movie like on youtube. But also take some shots of other objects.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics