It's too cold out for observing when...

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#26 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

If beer freezes into a beercicle when you open it it's too cold.

#27 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Jim, I did not know what to think of you when I first signed on. :confused: . then after awhile I realized who your avatar was. :p your latest sig is one of your best yet... entertaining. :lol:

Theo

#28 Steve Cobb

Steve Cobb

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Brian, I'm a member of SWFAS based in Tennessee and I know you've been having 80+ degree weather while the rest of us freeze. Shame on you for making fun of those of us suffering in the north! Invite us all down!

#29 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

When it is colder than 40 degrees F. :grin:

40?? More like 50! lol!! We have a cold spell going on here!!

#30 zippeee

zippeee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

. . . our stir crazy cat won't come with me.

#31 skullpin

skullpin

Ranger 4

• Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hmmph. I actually prefer -7C (20F) to mosquitoes and dew.

Down pants and down jacket. A handwarmer helps too, then I can manage with leather gloves to maintain dexterity. One to four hour sessions are regular with good clothes, depending on humidity and wind.

-20C (-4F) is my limit, and even then I will go out only if I have a new toy to test or some celestial event is happening, and there is no better weather in the forecast.

Keith

#32 magnus

magnus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Visby, Sweden

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Keith,
My limit is also -20C, if there is no wind. I have to drive to my dark observing site, so demounting my scope & mount can be a tough game after a half night sitting still at the eyepiece. But who can resist a rare clear sky? Warm clothes (scooter-overall)are just as imortant as good and well collimated optics when one has to observe in minus C degree climate 4-5 months/year. Of course a choclate bar and something warm to drink is also essential.

/Magnus 57N.

#33 Doc Bob

Doc Bob

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

. . . your eyepiece is stuck to your fingers . . . and you can't get it off without removing some skin ! ! !

Gloves just don't cut-it,
Bob

#34 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sterling, VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

. . . your eyepiece is stuck to your fingers . . . and you can't get it off without removing some skin ! ! !

Gloves just don't cut-it,
Bob

Triple Dog Dare you to put your tongue on your scope...

#35 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

I grew up in Wisconsin where we had to plug in our cars at night, but having lived in the desert for about 28 years now, I don't even like to go outside when it gets much below 50F anymore. I never thought that I would find seat warmers useful in my car in the desert, but I was wrong. :coldday:

#36 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sterling, VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

I grew up in Wisconsin where we had to plug in our cars at night, but having lived in the desert for about 28 years now, I don't even like to go outside when it gets much below 50F anymore. I never thought that I would find seat warmers useful in my car in the desert, but I was wrong. :coldday:

Wimp. :mad:

#37 yonkrz

yonkrz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Minnesota

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

:grin: :grin:

#38 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

The Declination drive on your LXD75 starts playing silly buggers. As happened to me on Saturday, up in the Sierras at 5000ft, approx 12°F. I was fine, but the mount couldn't take it. My first opportunity to observe under nice dark skies as well...

#39 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

It's never too cold (except when using a Mak). My personal best is observing at -35F.

Last night it was -4F. Quite pleasant, really.

I'd like to winter-over at NPX looking after the South Pole Telescope.

#40 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Coldest I've set up in was around -10F. My filter wheel worked for 6 hours before it finally 'gave up'. The driver keeps track of the time to the next position and the motor slowed to the point it failed the test! :) Luckily, it seems like in SD that when it's really cold out, it's not very windy... at least in my part.

Get a mallincam and do your winter observing from inside with a few active repeater cables :).

#41 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Vanguard

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

You know it's too cold outside when your husky starts complaining about it lol.

#42 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Steve, you all are welcome to come down, but I only have a dozen or so scopes for you, so you should bring your own!
:cool:
Brian

Brian, I'm a member of SWFAS based in Tennessee and I know you've been having 80+ degree weather while the rest of us freeze. Shame on you for making fun of those of us suffering in the north! Invite us all down!

#43 Starlon

Starlon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: desert, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Oh - it's ok for a 10-15 minute quickie, IF it is no lower than the mid-50s. That is just too cold for me these days. I'd rather sit out there at 100 degrees at mid-night than freeze in the below 68F (20C) temps. Check out these chilly guys:

http://www.gdargaud....AstroAntar.html

#44 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

Two sets of long johns, thermal socks, head/face mask and I'm still uncomfortable at 30 above after an hour.
All I keep thinking about are the summer nights in shorts and sandals behind the binoviewers. :tonofbricks:

Any mosquitoes around your parts? :)

Plenty, Jon. They tend to avoid me while feasting on everyone else. :smirk:

#45 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Sorry guys!....I just don't do cold as well as I used to!!! :shrug: :snowedin: :stuck: What time does "Big Bang Theory" come on???....lol.... :coldday: :coldday: :coldday: :imawake:

HEY Thats my favorite show!!
Did you know about the secret behind the 2 main characters? Sheldon and Leonard?
It is a Tribute to the Actor/Producer Sheldon Leonard, he did the Danny Thomas Show, Dick Van Dyke and many others,
Including writing for I Love Lucy..
He usually played gangsters in Movies and TV,
Another one, Remember the Movie Grumpier Old Men?
The old Lady who played the Mother of Sophie Loren?
She played "Millie" the Dentists Wife that lived next door!! :question:
Cao... I'm hungry for Sphagetti

#46 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Sorry guys!....I just don't do cold as well as I used to!!! :shrug: :snowedin: :stuck: What time does "Big Bang Theory" come on???....lol.... :coldday: :coldday: :coldday: :imawake:

HEY Thats my favorite show!!
Did you know about the secret behind the 2 main characters? Sheldon and Leonard?
It is a Tribute to the Actor/Producer Sheldon Leonard, he did the Danny Thomas Show, Dick Van Dyke and many others,
Including writing for I Love Lucy..
He usually played gangsters in Movies and TV,
Another one, Remember the Movie Grumpier Old Men?
The old Lady who played the Mother of Sophie Loren?
She played "Millie" the Dentists Wife that lived next door!! :question:
Cao... I'm hungry for Sphagetti

"THAT is sooooo cool!! Yeah, I do remember Sheldon Leonard....a great actor, director, and comedian!!!......loved his work!! :lol:

#47 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Yup - I was out last night working on a new (to me) scope. Only 50 degrees colder outside than inside. Hmmmmm could those be tube currents? Too cold for me. I lasted only about an hour and half. Couldn't figure out the nebulosity I saw everywhere until I realized my breath was frosting the eyepiece. I'm ready for summer.

Nobody warned me about that one-I discovered how easy and quick one can ruin the view by exhaling andd instantly fogging the eyepiece.
Will an eyepiece heater stop that ?

#48 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Two sets of long johns, thermal socks, head/face mask and I'm still uncomfortable at 30 above after an hour.
All I keep thinking about are the summer nights in shorts and sandals behind the binoviewers. :tonofbricks:

Instead of two sets of long johns, try thermal underwear(top and bottom) and jogging pants and top;the two layers of longjohns act as one layer but the looser jogging clothes will trap warmed air .Over those you want something that will stop the wind.Currently I make do with denim pants and a flannel shirt and one of several sweaters covered by a unlined or insulated hooded hoodie,or an industrial rated insulated coat.Knit cap too.

Thinking of getting the knitt face mask!

And sometimes it is just too much bother to get bundled up .

All those construction and outdoor workers must wear Carharts and Dickies for a reason.Keep in mind many of them are pretty active and the heavy equipment operators nearly all have heated cabs or at least cabs unlike the old exposed bulldozer seats.

#49 Aircrftr

Aircrftr

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Claremore OK

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

When I was observing outside, two words. Snot sickles .

Now I just snooze in the warm room of my observatory between exposures no matter what the temp. ;)

#50 Erskin71

Erskin71

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

When it is colder than 40 degrees F. :grin:

The good news for us South Texans is that only happens twice a year.... :roflmao:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics