Found good observatory cam

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

I know there have been many cameras out there and maybe some are cheaper and work just as well, but I just got one of these yesterday and I am very happy with it.
http://www.amazon.co...Network/dp/B...

The camera took a couple of minutes to set up, once it was set up, it took a couple more minutes to create an account for myDlink website after which I downloaded the myDlink app to my android phone. Now I can monitor the phsyical position of my scope at any time from anywhere I have a data connection to my phone available. I was so impressed with the ease of set up.

My only complaint is that I wish the foot of the camera had a rubberized non slip material. Today I logged in to admire my telescope from the office and I found that the weight of the power cable has dragged the camera to the floor. If it had a rubber footed stand, it wouldn't have fallen off. Ohh yeah, one more thing. The camera has a built in mic too.

I hope you find this information useful

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

Hi Himli:

Looks nice!

Couple of things to be aware of with a camera like that. That camera has IR emitters that come on at night so it can see in the dark. If your imaging setup is sensitive to IR, it's just like having a flashlight on inside your observatory ... that light can end up in your images if the camera is in the wrong spot.

Another issue for most of us is that this model is only rated for operation down to 32°F (0° C). Probably not a problem for you in Oman! :grin: But many of us in the colder climates need to look for cameras that operate in much lower temperatures - which of course are much more expensive! :p

-Dan

#3 CMacD

CMacD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

We use this one at work - for the same price. Also a very nice camera.

http://foscam.ca/pro...-ip-camera.html

#4 Michael Morris

Michael Morris

• Loc: Worcestershire, UK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Does anyone know of a USB webcam that is mounted on this type of computer-controlled pan and tilt system?

#5 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Dan,

I've had no problem with my imaging, I'm more concerned about being in the city. all my filters cut off IR and my camera has no light leeks. The flocked dew shield also helps.

I can see why you would be worried about the cold performance. There are a couple of places in Oman where that could be a problem, but I have no hope of ever owning land there. The government will only allow natives of the area to own property there to preserve the place.

#6 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Check the FOSCAM site, they have pan/tilt wireless cameras which will connect to your wireless router or ethernet. Since they have a server in them, they'll serve up images on a web page and you can access it from your phone app by tunneling through your home network.

I have an outdoor version (no pan/tilt) for home security, about $100.

Does anyone know of a USB webcam that is mounted on this type of computer-controlled pan and tilt system?

#7 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

I use one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/...o-PT-Alarm-W...

Picked it up on eBay. Does tilt and pan. Keep it out in the observatory in Canadian winters and used it down to -28C or so (probably not rated for that, but it's cheap enough that I'm willing to take the risk).

Haven't noticed any problems with IR leakage into my frames but there certainly is that potential. I adjust the IR intensity to minimum but it is still bright enough to view the scope and mount when imaging. I seem to recollect that I had to fiddle with it a bit to get the software set up, but I can't remember the details (I've had it about a year). NOTE ADDED LATER: Actually, recollecting some more, I think it took me quite a bit of experimentation to get things working because there really isn't much in the way of user documentation -- once I got it working it has been very reliable, but getting it up and running isn't for the faint of heart. I managed it and I consider myself to be moderately computer-savvy.
...Keith

#8 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

I have the Dlink 930L, which seems to have the same base. If so, lift the little ring on the bottom and there's two screw holes. My cam no longer falls on the floor.

#9 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

I have this camera in my obsy and it is working quite well.

#10 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

The only issue I have with the Wansview is the inability to turn off the IR lights. I have it currently behind a window (inside) and it reflects on itself... I taped up the lights, hopefully that fixes it :).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics