Starstructure 26" F3.3 Horizon

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#26 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

Carl, congrats on the new scope, can't wait to take a peek though it. Mike, keep up the good work. All the best.

#27 michael

michael

Vendor (Starstructure Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Trinity Florida

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

Hi Gb,

The scope on my site is only the concept scope. Focused position can pretty much anyway you would like it. Typically it will be up about 10 degrees from the 90.

Mike

#28 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

Bob, if a 60 might be in your future, possibly the scope atop the San Gabriel Peak near Pasadena would work for you. It's already assembled and ready to use. Who knows, they might sell it to you.

#29 Carl Wright

Carl Wright

Explorer 1

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

With permission from the builder, here is a pic showing the oval opening on the front of the mirror box.

Attached Files

#30 Carl Wright

Carl Wright

Explorer 1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Here is another pic showing the top of the mirror box looking straight down the OTA.

Attached Files

#31 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Here is another pic showing the top of the mirror box looking straight down the OTA.

Carl, That was the "money shot" many of us were looking for. This scope really represents a shift in Newtonian design. Zammit had said that the design actually scales up better (better performance with larger sizes) than anything he has ever made. This is going to help change the way we view Newtonians. The relationship of the mirror box/rocker box to the truss poles/mirror cell is a real optical fake-out. Thanks again for sharing. Bob

#32 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I had put a call in to Mike Zammit concerning the new Horizons and he and I chatted this afternoon about many of the new features of the Horizon telescopes. It appears that Mike has really done his homework with this scope and is employing some design features that should really enhance the performance of these new scopes. I will let him discuss these publicly if he chooses to but from what I had heard today, some of the new mods will go a long way toward allowing this scope to outperform most of the scopes on the market. One example I can give is that his 26" Horizon is only 1" wider than my new 20" JPA and is actually 4 inches less tall than my 6" smaller scope. I don't think anyone is going to be able to compete with the amazingly small dimensions that he is putting into these potent packages. As many of you know, Mike enjoys 15 years as a scope maker and well over 20 years in the business of fabricating complex signs out of aluminum and other materials. I was joking with Zammit about how far he has come in the past 11 years that I have been around his scopes. It is really great to see someone continuing to push the envelope. I felt very priviledged many years ago to help him test his first two 28" scopes and have been impressed with all of his scopes up to his 32 inchers that move like ballerinas. These Horizons should make his previous offerings groan just a bit ;) Bob Schilling

#33 Jeff Porter

Jeff Porter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Utah

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Agreed,

Mike is a great guy and is always looking for ways to innovate and modernize traditional designs.

I look forward to many nights using one of Mike's creations sometime in the future.

Jeff P

#34 winterprillan

winterprillan

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I talked to Mike about a week ago. He said that my 30 rocker /mirrorbox is smaller than his 28 inch LE, amazing!
Maybe i don´t need a trailer after all??

#35 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I talked to Mike about a week ago. He said that my 30 rocker /mirrorbox is smaller than his 28 inch LE, amazing!
Maybe i don´t need a trailer after all??

So you are getting the 30". Wow!!! It is wild that 3 out of the first 4 Horizons are going out of the country. I think you all know something that we are slow to catch on to.

#36 michael

michael

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hi All,
I think the biggest challenge of large fast optical systems falls to mounting and supporting the diagonals. In the photo I’m showing the 26” Horizon 5.5" secondary holder assembly attached to the spider. Note that I have eliminated any axial adjustment (to and from the primary) via the center bolt. The secondary holder is as tight to the spider as possible. Also note how close the adjustment plate is to the base plate of the holder. This helps tremendously with vibration and stability of the secondary assembly and keep the spider / holder profile to a minimum.

Mike

Attached Files

#37 michael

michael

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

This photo shows the 26" Horizon's focuser board with a focuser slide to perform the axial adjustment.
IMO this is not only a much easier way to do the adjustment but a more accurate way as well.

Mike

Attached Files

#38 michael

michael

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Last...showing the spider mounted in the Horizon's UTA.
The spider vanes are vertical and horizontal not angled. This is the strongest way to support the secondary assembly. Any pull on the secondary, in altitude movement, is always on the vertical axis. By having the vanes in this orientation it gives maximum support.

Mike

Attached Files

#39 michael

michael

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

26" Horizon awaiting the Mike Lockwood Primary mirror which I am told is at the coaters. :cool:

Mike

Attached Files

#40 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Looks gorgeous!

#41 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Soyuz

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Looks very well thought out.

Chas

#42 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Coast California

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Mike,

Does the primary cell remove the same as in the LE's?

26" Horizon awaiting the Mike Lockwood Primary mirror which I am told is at the coaters. :cool:

Mike

#43 Carl Wright

Carl Wright

Explorer 1

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Peter,

The front of the mirror box is removable. It does not come out the back like the LE model.

#44 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Coast California

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

So, you can pull the primary out through the front, as I can do also with my 24" LE, but the cell assembly stays screwed in against the four side walls as sort of a bulk head for mirror box strength. Am I correct?

Peter,

The front of the mirror box is removable. It does not come out the back like the LE model.

#45 Project Galileo

Project Galileo

Viking 1

• Loc: Jefferson County, Colorado

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Love it!

#46 michael

michael

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Hi Pete,
Your correct. The steel inner cell frame is through bolted to the sides of the mirror box adding strength.

Like Carl said, the mirror cell is not removable from the rear of the scope. Instead the top plated of the mirror box is removable (same as your 24”) and the primary is accessed from the top.

Note that the top opening on the Horizon is rectangular not square. The 26” has an opening of 28” wide X 34” long so there is ample room to get your hands in to remove the primary. No worries about hitting something on the way out.

I do understand that people like removable mirror cells so that they don’t have to handle the optics directly. This is the main reason I’ve always designed my scopes with removable mirror cells. In the case of the Horizon, it just couldn’t be.

Looking at it from a user point of view, there are a few benefits to this design. With removable rear set-ups you have to have the entire scope assembled to access the rear cell. Also you have to deal the weight of the mirror and mirror cell when removing.

I guess I look at it this way, The Horizon really shines with larger aperture, 24” and up. Folks buying scopes of these sizes are mostly using ramps to load them and rarely need to pull the primary mirror anyway. When the primary mirror is needed to be removed, for cleaning or whatever, I have always recommended (rear cell or not) that one does not attempt this alone. With optics weighing over 60 pounds it’s not the weight but the awkwardness of the piece that can potentially be a problem.

With care one can clean the optics in the scope anyway, so you can get over with never needing to pull it out.

Here is another picture showing the mirror cell mounted.

Mike

Attached Files

#47 michael

michael

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi All,
Wanted to share this pic showing one of the many jig setups to build the Horizon.

Mike

Attached Files

#48 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Michael, Going to a steel mirror cell appears to really enhance the capabilities of the new Horizon. I can imagine that as you get commissions to build 40-60" scopes that all of these new enhancements are going to pay big dividends. I have always been amazed that your work is measured in hundreths/thousands of an inch where other scope builders measure/build their structures in much larger size tolerances.

#49 michael

michael

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I've aways known that steel is the way to go. On the LE scopes I've used aluminum to keep weight down but need to do more to keep the aluminum frames ridge. With the Horizon, I've eliminated all the weight of the mirror box so I was able to go to the steel cell with no worries of increasing the total weight of the scope. Basically, the weight of the Horizon is the same as the LE. On the larger sizes 30" plus, the Horizon will be lighter.

Mike

#50 michael

michael

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hi All,
New picture showing the mirror box closed up on the radius.

Mike

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics