1927 telescope

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi fellow Classics aficionados, I'm looking for suggestions here. I live in a 1927 craftsman bungalow and am looking down the road for a display scope for my collection that will fit the time period of when my house was built. Most of my classic scopes that I display in my dining room are 1960s vintage, though I do have some older vintage eyepieces. I'd love to get something pre WWII, preferably American made, and of course a refractor of approximately 2 to 3 inch caliber. I'm not interested in reflectors- just did that when I was too young to know better or afford better :lol:

Any suggestions on what I might start looking for? :question: I am in no rush.

#2 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Oldest I have is a late 50's Fecker 3" F15 guide scope. I haven't seen a lot of scopes from that era. Older stuff from 1870-1900 seems to be more common. I'm sure somebody here could help.

#3 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

I'm not interested in reflectors- just did that when I was too young to know better or afford better
-----------------------------------------------
umm hmmph, oh well, this would have fit the era.

Attached Files

#4 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

I had a 1923 Bausch and lomb.
It was a 4" yoke mounted.
Sold it to a gentleman in Arizona.

Attached Files

#5 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

strike two.
Here's the one in the upper left of the previous photo. Right design, but it's not old enough.

Attached Files

#6 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Wow Brian, what an absolutely beautiful old scope!!! were you sad to get rid of it? I would have been :(

That is indeed a cool reflector Neil. 6 inch F8 I would wager. Looks almost "steampunk" what with those rings, setting circles and spherical counter-weight. Was it ATMd? I remember seeing an old reflector somewhere else with a counter-weight like that.

#7 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

1920s Zeiss 110mm on a Losmandy G11 mount

Attached Files

#8 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

And soon we will be looking through that beauty. Napersky is waiting for a better dovetail to attach to the Losmandy.

#9 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Wow, another beauty. I doubt that I could ever afford a vintage Zeiss. I feel like I would be most lucky for find a 1920-40s Tinsley, Fecker, or B & L. I am still in awe of Brian's 1923 Bausch and Lomb! :bow:

#10 rfic1

rfic1

Messenger

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hi fellow Classics aficionados, I'm looking for suggestions here. I live in a 1927 craftsman bungalow and am looking down the road for a display scope for my collection that will fit the time period of when my house was built. Most of my classic scopes that I display in my dining room are 1960s vintage, though I do have some older vintage eyepieces. I'd love to get something pre WWII, preferably American made, and of course a refractor of approximately 2 to 3 inch caliber. I'm not interested in reflectors- just did that when I was too young to know better or afford better :lol:

Any suggestions on what I might start looking for? :question: I am in no rush.

How about a nice 2 or 3" Mogey?

#11 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Don't forget Mogey. Sometimes the prices on the smaller ones is not too bad. The costs on these scopes back then made them only for the more wealthy doctors and on up the food chain. Even a refractor which looks average to our eyes might have cost a year's wages for the average man.

The 1920s were really before lower cost scopes were available, and for any scope much worth having, any astro type scope anyhow, you can expect to pay plenty.

#12 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Loc: Blue Island Illinois

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

There was huge interest in Astronomy following Halley's comet in 1911 then it waned until the decade after WWII where a rebirth began that lasted into the mid 60's. Stellfane hit it's stride in the 30's so a scope from the twenties would be very rare. Names would be Mogey, Fecker, B&L. A lot of scopes of that era came in kits and were made from cardboard tubes, so they didn't last. Most regular people's idea of a telescope would be either the 3-4 draw captain's scope or a Marine scope mounted on a simple tripod. American Glass manufacturing was in it's infancy as prior to WWI, some 95% of optical glass was manufactured in the Ziess Jena plant. Your best/easiest (and most costly!) chance is to shoot for a Ziess, your chances of finding an American made scope and mount are really slim!

#13 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Brashear was still making scopes into the 20s. Fecker bought Brashear in the late 20s.

-Tim.

#14 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

my 1940s tinsley....its gone too.

Attached Files

#15 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Ah I used to have one of those 4 inch Tinsleys. Still wish I had it. I had been under the impression that it was more like late '50's or early '60's though......

#16 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

My jealousy is running wild over these old scopes. I can't imagine how you guys ever parted with such beauties.

#17 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

me either....but im keeping my superplanetary...
sometimes when you have to let some go they end up in the right hands. when you see the look and smiles on faces
when you personally hand one over...you know it will be taken care of.

Attached Files

#18 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

I know what you mean Glen. Brian, that Tinsley was really cool too, but my favorite would have been the 1923 Bausch & Lomb. Glen, I don't know how I forgot Mogey, I actually looked through one some years ago out in Calif. the guy that owned it also had 3 inch and 4 inch A Clark & Sons scopes. To tell the truth, I was a little unimpressed with the Clarks, they had seemingly rickety mounts and optically, we had them up against a late 50s Unitron Photo Eq, and guess which one one in my humble opinion. They were cool to look at, nice old big brass scopes though, the Mogey was much like that as well. Today, in retrospect, I have much more appreciation for older things and I would probably have picked the 4 inch Clark. All however were far out of my reach then as they would be today, so the point is moot. A Brashear would be cool also Tim. Oh well, one can dream.

So we have narrowed it down ti Tinsley, Fecker, Bausch & Lomb, and maybe Mogey or Zeiss. Somewhere in the 2 to 3 inch range, and probably alt-az. Cool :cool:

#19 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Yeaaaaa! I'm glad you are keeping your AP Superplanetary Brian. I think you would have really missed that one.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics