Jupiter Sketch GRS Oval BA 1/4/13

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Here’s a sketch I made on 1/4/13 during fairly good seeing. The seeing allowed me to use 171x which seems to be the threshold for the most part up to now this viewing season. Even though, I was pleased with the view and enjoyed seeing Oval BA , GRS and the other features.

What was new for this session was the light oval in the SEB somewhat near the same longitude but a little preceding as Oval BA . Preceding this light oval also on the SEB on the extreme limb, a dark marking which I believe is a barge. The turbulence following the GRS can be seen on the following limb was grayish white and stood out in contrast to the darker brown color of the SEB preceding the GRS. The hollow around the GRS was pronounced and took on a “V” shape.

The STB was prominent and was seen south of the GRS appearing like a long eyebrow.

Oval BA stands out well within the light STrZ. It actually appeared to be the same color as the GRS though on my sketch it’s more orangey. I’m still working out the bugs with the color sketching. This apparition Oval BA has been prominent and easy to spot when on the limb of Jupiter.

The NNTB extends almost across the entire globe but fades out north of the GRS.

The EQZ has festoons with their bases on the NEBn. The darkest one arched all the way back down to the NEB becoming a garland. I looked for barges and any rifting on the NEB but didn’t notice any.

NTrZ was bright and had the colorful NTB north of it. The two toned aspect of this belt stood out and was fun to render. During moments of better seeing I could just make out some waviness to the NTBn border.

Not much to say about the polar regions other than my next observation I plan try some filters to see if that will help picking up some details in these regions.

Clear and steady skies. Dean

1/4/2013 7:20 - 8:00 UT

CMl 87.40 CMll 167.56 CMlll 233.01

10” f/6 Newtonian 171x Apodizing Screen

Seeing 2.5 Antoniadia’s Scale ( 1 - 5 ) Transparency 5

Santa Cruz, CA

Attached Files

#2 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

That's a really good sketch. Amazing you can catch that much detail at 171x. Seeing must be good there.

#3 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Nirvanix,

Thank you very much. What really helps me pick up detail on these average nights is the apodizing screen. Without this aid the contrast and detail would be washed out by the seeing. It really makes a difference.

Dean

#4 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Nirvanix,

Thank you very much. What really helps me pick up detail on these average nights is the apodizing screen. Without this aid the contrast and detail would be washed out by the seeing. It really makes a difference.

Always meant to make one of those. Did you make it out of window screen?

#5 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Yes I did. Fiberglass screen actually. inexpensive and easy to make. Here's a link to the site I used to construct mine.

http://csastro.org/category/articles/

Dean

#6 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

An absolutely beautiful sketch. Thanks for the view.

Rich (RLTYS)

#7 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Very nice work again Dean. Color is seriously the way to go for you as you nail it quite well infact. The edging Long the NTB was nicely executed.

Pete

#8 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Rich and Pete,

Thank you very much. I'm glad you like it. I do enjoy the color sketching it takes me a lot more time. With some practice I suppose I'll get faster. At the scope I'm sketching in pencil. I want to start making color intensity estimates at the scope rather than doing it by memory.

Thanks again. Dean

#9 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Wow, as always, Dean. Love the color--it's very balanced and convincing, and you've got the equatorial zone just right. I see that clear spot in the SEB right underneath Red Jr., which is also rendered just so, and the detail following the GRS is excellent. A really fine sketch.

-geo.

#10 oracleman

oracleman

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bizkaia - Spain

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Wow! I like it much! Very similar to telescope views!! I like the colors from bands and grs...so real!

One rookie question, the oval ba is the same than grs junior?

Thanks in advance!

#11 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

George and Oracleman,

Thank you for your generous comments. Jupiter is such a cool planet. Yes, Red Spot Junior is Oval BA. I look forward to seeing both your fine sketches.

#12 nirvanix

nirvanix

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

Thanks for the link Dean! :)

#13 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

Egads, Dean, you posted a sketch and I have not replied!

Man, look at BA kicking it. It;s moved quite a bit since I last saw Jupiter. Last clear night was, what, 3 years ago? :(

Always beautiful work, Dean.

#14 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Thanks Norme.

I hope you get some good weather soon. Lately it's been clear but the seeing is marginal. Here winter skies tend to be turbulent but transparent.

Dean

#15 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Dean,

Terrific Jupiter sketch--very detailed and nice coloring. Your Oval BA color looks pretty accurate to my eye. It has moved quite a bit ahead of the GRS, hasn't it.

#16 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

What I like about this sketch, Dean, is that it looks exceptionally close to what I see in my 10-inch on a good night--it's one of the most lifelike sketches I've ever seen.

I hope the remainder of this apparition continues to be kind to you, and keep up the great work.

-g

#17 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Michael and George,

Thank you for the kind words. This apparition has been a lot of fun with many changes of belts and features. Oval BA and GRS do seem to be drifting apart quickly. I wonder what changes Jupiter has in store for us.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics