Photo

Mallincam Wireless Exposure Controller; Yes or No?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#26 plav1959

plav1959

Messenger

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Doug,
Here are a couple more options for a monitor:
http://www.bhphotovi...6_PRO_V_LCD5...
This is my main monitor used on my scope as pictured.

Another great option is this:
http://www.telescope...uts?keyword=dvr
Great for use at the focuser and does a great job at recording also.

I have also used a 4" Marshall and a Watec, but these two are my favorites.

Attached Files

#27 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Thanks Paul! Man, that LCD/DVR at Orion looks slick. I did not know that such a device existed.

BTW, nice setup. Was that photo taken at the CAV? I haven't been there in years.

#28 plav1959

plav1959

Messenger

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yes it was taken at CAV. I'm up there every month.

#29 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

You may also try the Pixel "Expert Wireless Live-view remote"

http://www.pixelhk.c...how.aspx?id=111

or the Pixel "LV-122 Wired Live View Remote" .

http://www.pixelhk.c...show.aspx?id=77

They are camera remote and (remote) live-view LCD in one.

#30 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Here is a link to the one page cheat sheet for default settings of different types of objects. Very helpful not just for the beginner but for everyone.

http://www.mallincam...ed Camera Se...

/Ira

#31 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the link.

#32 a__l

a__l

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

Another great option is this:
http://www.telescope...uts?keyword=dvr
Great for use at the focuser and does a great job at recording also.

I read on the site Orion.
The user has the dissatisfaction about the absence adjust the brightness level.
I search the Internet. There is interesting mobile PAL/NTSC DVR

http://www.ecbub.com...Card-Mobile.htm
http://www.aliexpres...12502_575086...

#33 plav1959

plav1959

Messenger

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

I don't have any issue with the lack of controls on the LCD/DVR. Neither have any of the people I view with, who normally use Speco, Watec, or Marshall monitors valued at up to a $10,000 HD unit. Matter of fact, most of the people are so impressed they have or soon will purchase one of them.

#34 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Stop talking up this little monitor/recorder. It's already on back order!
:tonofbricks:

/Ira

#35 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

/Ira

do a search for "Angel Eye KS-650M" . It's a LCD DVR with similar specs and performance as the Orion but surprise surprise, sells for around $80 on ebay and other online outlets.
I got one and it records at 720x480 resolution on SD cards up to 16GB .

#36 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Market it to astronomers.. triple the markup..

#37 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Beautiful. Thanks Matt.

#38 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

/Ira

do a search for "Angel Eye KS-650M" . It's a LCD DVR with similar specs and performance as the Orion but surprise surprise, sells for around $80 on ebay and other online outlets.

What is the video-in connector? It seems to be some kind of mini-plug. Can you connect this to a composite video source?

/Ira

#39 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

/Ira

What is the video-in connector? It seems to be some kind of mini-plug. Can you connect this to a composite video source?

/Ira

The video connectors (both in and out) are 2.5mm jacks . It comes with a composite video+stereo audio cable (2.5mm jack to 3 RCA connectors, the usual yellow white red).
Includes a battery charger , a rechargeable 3.7v phone style LiPo battery and the AV cable .
It works with SD cards up to 32GB not 16 as I had erroneously stated before .
It also includes a wireless remote (RF based not IR) to start and stop recording .

#40 a__l

a__l

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

Orion monitor have a small screen (2,5").
Why two monitors on observations? In Mallincam one video output? Second (S-Video) - the old version.

My opinion. It is better to have one (good!) monitor and a separate DVR (very large capacity, such as the ability to connect USB Hard Disk - 500 GB or 1 TB).

Orion monitor has another. Power - 5 volts. Where to get 5 volts (in a dark place)? Lithium batteries? They will not last long. I have all the equipment for 12 volts and a powerful battery (one).

Ps. Term good monitor (for a dark place, my opinion)
size 7 - 8 "
signal system PAL
LED illuminated backlight
adjustable backlight levels for daytime or night-time use
works on a 12VDC
low power consumption 0.8 -1 W

#41 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

The video connectors (both in and out) are 2.5mm jacks . It comes with a composite video+stereo audio cable (2.5mm jack to 3 RCA connectors, the usual yellow white red).
Includes a battery charger , a rechargeable 3.7v phone style LiPo battery and the AV cable .
It works with SD cards up to 32GB not 16 as I had erroneously stated before .
It also includes a wireless remote (RF based not IR) to start and stop recording .

Maybe the one you're looking at. The one from Orion is definitely IR. I don't use it much anyway. What I do use all the time is the cool one button _wired_ remote. Plug it into the AV out (yes) jack, push the locking pushbutton, and the recorder turns on and starts recording. Release and it stops and turns off. Great battery/memory card saver. I've been using the Orion for the last year or so and couldn't be happier with it.

#42 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

Orion monitor have a small screen (2,5").
Why two monitors on observations? In Mallincam one video output? Second (S-Video) - the old version.

My opinion. It is better to have one (good!) monitor and a separate DVR (very large capacity, such as the ability to connect USB Hard Disk - 500 GB or 1 TB).

Orion monitor has another. Power - 5 volts. Where to get 5 volts (in a dark place)? Lithium batteries? They will not last long. I have all the equipment for 12 volts and a powerful battery (one).

Ps. Term good monitor (for a dark place, my opinion)
size 7 - 8 "
signal system PAL
LED illuminated backlight
adjustable backlight levels for daytime or night-time use
works on a 12VDC
low power consumption 0.8 -1 W

--The small monitor is perfectly adequate if you are more interested in recording than viewing. I can even focus with it. But it is small. Solution? Simple. Use a separate monitor and either switch back and forth between the two or use a splitter. Non-issue.

--Lithium batteries won't last long? Nope. I can easily record hours of video on one charge of the built in battery. And 5-volts is not an issue. The recorder comes with a charger. Just plug it into an AC outlet if your site has power, or, if not, a small inverter powered by a 12-volt battery, and you are OK. But I have never, ever had to recharge the battery over the course of an observing run. Non-issue.

--A large capacity DVR? If you want to haul around and power one, go for it. The Orion recorder will record HOURS on even an 8gb card. These cards are cheap. I would rather switch cards that fuss with some big recorder. Non issue.

;)

#43 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

The Mallincam video cameras except the Jr. all have both composite (CVBS) and S-Video outputs. Both outputs are always enabled so you can use them simultaneously.

There are many many different video setup options but it's quite common to use the S-Video for the high quality monitor and the composite feed for a smaller monitor that would be close to the eyepiece (for focusing and framing objects).

Ideally you'd like the DVR device to also be on the higher quality S-Video feed but unfortunately most devices sold now don't support that interface.

With my Mallincam I have a small lightweight 2.5" LCD monitor hanging off of the back of the scope attached to the composite feed via a short thin RG-179 cable. A 20' S-Video cable goes back to an S-Video distribution amplifier and from there to ... 1) Speco CRT monitor 2) USB frame grabber 3) 19" LCD monitor 4) HDD/DVD based DVR.

#44 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Keep in mind, the unit he is talking about is NOT the same as the Orion. As good as? Maybe, maybe not. Support of any kind? Probably not. The Orion has been proven for use with a Mallincam in the field. ;)

#45 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Keep in mind, the unit he is talking about is NOT the same as the Orion. As good as? Maybe, maybe not. Support of any kind? Probably not. The Orion has been proven for use with a Mallincam in the field. ;)

Darn good point, Rod. Too many times we (myself included) are too willing to jump on something that "looks the same" but is much cheaper, all the while overlooking the proven performer.

#46 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Darn good point, Rod. Too many times we (myself included) are too willing to jump on something that "looks the same" but is much cheaper, all the while overlooking the proven performer.

I agree re. support for my unit .
However, I am not LOOKING at the unit, I have it and use it .
The on-screen menu is self explanatory, the remote is RF (I know because I looked inside the unit , it's a 433MHz OOK xmitter, basically a glorified garage door opener with maybe 100ft range) .
It can be used powered by its internal battery for hours but if you really need external power, you can power it off a mini-usb cable . Any 12v car adapter with USB charging output would work to power it continuously . It draws under 100mA .
The user "manual" is a joke so if you're not technically inclined don't even think about it. There are a multitude of youtube videos showing how to use it anyway .
And for 1/3 the cost, I figured I would need to buy and destroy 2 units and buy a third to break even with the Orion unit .

#47 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I guess you haven't seen the orion customer service post? The orion dvr is a Chinese product with the orion label slapped on it. Exactly like the mallencam. They should work very well together. Who proved it works in the field?

#48 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

The orion dvr is a Chinese product with the orion label slapped on it. Exactly like the mallencam.

Now Dave, you have to know making that statement is probably going to cause all kinds of havoc. I know you've also spent some time in the Yahoo Mallincam group which would have provided some clarity to the background of the Mallincam.

AFIK while Rock uses some components from Wakamaya and others there's a lot of his own IP and specialty built components in each camera. He definately doesn't just slap his label on some other product.

From the Yahoo group, selected parts of a posting by Rock from about a year ago in reference to his video cameras ...

"Cabinet and main CPU is made by Wakayama, a parent company of Mintron who makes OEM and industrial
and commercial camera manufacturing for others. Our main video ccd board is design by us and all ccd sensor are hand picked and installed right here in our premise.

Rear board and preamp output is also design by us, and we use a Holtek preamp at the ccd sensor stage.

Our Peltiers are made in Russia custom made by them for MallinCam, Peltier digital driver are made by Bel who makes various voltage units using digital pulse technology."

#49 Dwight J

Dwight J

Viking 1

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

It is easy to shoot from the bushes. That is one reason this forum is fairly stagnant. Lots of Mallincam bashing. I, for one, will take it in stride as after a while it becomes shrill. I wonder if using a cheap plossl is the same as using a Brandon? You can see the moon through both.

#50 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

I guess you haven't seen the orion customer service post? The orion dvr is a Chinese product with the orion label slapped on it. Exactly like the mallencam. They should work very well together. Who proved it works in the field?

Nope. Of course the Orion is made in China, but even a quick glance shows it is OBVIOUSLY not the same as the other unit.

Who proved it? I did and Paul did to name just two people on this board ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics