Photo

Mallincam Wireless Exposure Controller; Yes or No?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#51 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Also, I believe folks are getting two products intertwined. The Orion DVR and the Mallincam remote shutter control

As for the latter: ROCK MALLIN SAYS DON'T use it. If you want to risk your thousand dollar plus camera by doing so to save 150 bucks, don't say you weren't warned. :shakecane:

#52 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

It is easy to shoot from the bushes. That is one reason this forum is fairly stagnant. Lots of Mallincam bashing. I, for one, will take it in stride as after a while it becomes shrill. I wonder if using a cheap plossl is the same as using a Brandon? You can see the moon through both.

I agree, and as the OP, I would appreciate it if these guys would start their own thread. Of course, it would probably go about as well as their last one.

#53 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

• Loc: Untermitternacht

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I guess you haven't seen the orion customer service post? The orion dvr is a Chinese product with the orion label slapped on it. Exactly like the mallencam. They should work very well together. Who proved it works in the field?

Cut out the vendor bashing or another potential thread is getting locked. Especially when it appears these types of accusations are unsubstantiated. Take it offline or take it up with the vendor directly.

What part of vendor bashing do folks not understand?

Jason

#54 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Also, I believe folks are getting two products intertwined. The Orion DVR and the Mallincam remote shutter control

Rod, Good point ... I didn't initially read it that way, I read "Exactly like the Mallencam." and only thought of the camera and that is probably my mistake.

So Dave you have my apology if what you meant was the Mallincam wireless remote control ... but I'll leave my post in place in case others read things the way I did.

#55 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Rod, Good point ... I didn't initially read it that way, I read "Exactly like the Mallencam." and only thought of the camera and that is probably my mistake.

So Dave you have my apology if what you meant was the Mallincam wireless remote control ... but I'll leave my post in place in case others read things the way I did.

This thread got all messed up with posts about whether to use or not the Mallincam wireless remote mixed with opinions about other remote (wireless or not ) options, then about remote LCD screens, then DVR's with or without remotes. There is information here but it's misplaced.

#56 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

I thought the OP wanted Yes or no on MWEC.

This post has become way to political.. Mallincam fanboys strike again!! If you own one, are you one too? I guess I am. I love my MCX!

Cool... I never read it.. these posts moved onto page 2..

Pointing out where a product originally came from is not vendor bashing.. A few vendors take GSO accessories and slap there name on it.. A few vendors take Sinta Telescopes and slap there name on it.. A few vendors take Sony panels and put there name on it... And that list could go on for days.. Those vendors may or may not make changes to the product. What about the failure or inconsistencies found in refractor focusers? PE#'s in mounts? Suggesting aftermarket parts to fix those issues is not vendor bashing. Pointing this out just makes a more educated consumer. A more educated consumer can than make their own decision on which product to buy...Suppressing this kind of information is a slap in the face for freedom of information.

Example. I make my own radio with CD player out of parts.. It kind of looks like a Sony Radio without cd player. In fact I had to take some parts from the Sony to finish my radio with cd player.. Making my own radio with cd player was cheaper than buying sony radio/cd player in one. I than make this information available to the pubic on the internet without any fees or profit. Is this somehow blasphemous? Did I violate any trade marks? Not in the eyes of the law.

#57 plav1959

plav1959

Messenger

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

I guess you haven't seen the orion customer service post? The orion dvr is a Chinese product with the orion label slapped on it. Exactly like the mallencam. They should work very well together. Who proved it works in the field?

Nope. Of course the Orion is made in China, but even a quick glance shows it is OBVIOUSLY not the same as the other unit.

Who proved it? I did and Paul did to name just two people on this board ;)

Yes I've used it in the field attached to my UTA for focusing, recording and as a monitor. It has a brushed aluminum case and is built like a tank. I've had dew dripping off it every time out and have not had any issues.

#58 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Yes I've used it in the field attached to my UTA for focusing, recording and as a monitor. It has a brushed aluminum case and is built like a tank. I've had dew dripping off it every time out and have not had any issues.

Hmmm, let's see the tank that has a thin brushed sheet aluminum face and plastic underneath .

#59 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hmmm, let's see the tank that has a thin brushed sheet aluminum face and plastic underneath .

The Orion DVR works and works well for me. You've tried it and had a different experience? :shakecane:

#60 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Moderator please lock this thread. It has managed to wander far from my original question. If this krap is typical of the video astronomy forum, I believe that I will just try to figure things out on my own. Thanks to those who actually offered helpful advice.

#61 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

The Orion DVR works and works well for me. You've tried it and had a different experience? :shakecane:

What is the problem ????
Have YOU tried MY KS-650M unit and had a different experience ?
The one I own and use and works well for me in the field and gave me no problems either?

The KS-650M unit I own is very well made, has a solid feeling to it when you hold it, has a matte rubberized finish like SLR camera lenses .

Inside it has a Zoran chipset , Samsung Flash memory, Hynix RAM, Texas Instruments video front end and LED backlit TFT LCD , all first class components .There isn't much to go wrong inside this thing , it's a simple single board for all the main functions , using quality brand name components so if it works when you acquired it , it will keep working for the foreseeable future . Remote is stainless steel .FWIW.

#62 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

What is the problem ????
The one I own and use and works well for me in the field and gave me no problems either?

The KS-650M unit I own is very well made, has a solid feeling to it when you hold it, has a matte rubberized finish like SLR camera lenses .

Inside it has a Zoran chipset , Samsung Flash memory, Hynix RAM, Texas Instruments video front end and LED backlit TFT LCD , all first class components .There isn't much to go wrong inside this thing , it's a simple single board for all the main functions , using quality brand name components so if it works when you acquired it , it will keep working for the foreseeable future . Remote is stainless steel .FWIW.

The problem is that you are criticizing a piece of kit you've never used. I'm sure whatever you are using works fine, didn't imply it didn't, and have no use for the widget since I've already got something I like a lot. :lol:

#63 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

What is the problem ????

The problem is that you are criticizing a piece of kit you've never used. I'm sure whatever you are using works fine, didn't imply it didn't, and have no use for the widget since I've already got something I like a lot. :lol:

I just stated the alternative I am using and in no way does that mean criticism of other devices . As I said before , I have not used the Orion DVR and have no first hand knowledge of its performance . I am using the KS-650M and found no problems with its functionality .

:cool:

#64 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I just stated the alternative I am using and in no way does that mean criticism of other devices .

"Hmmm, let's see the tank that has a thin brushed sheet aluminum face and plastic underneath."

Coulda fooled me... ;)

#65 Undermidnight

Undermidnight

BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

• Loc: Untermitternacht

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

And around the drain it goes.

Jason

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics