to image the planets saturn jupiter and moon

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 colinkk

colinkk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

hi . ive been a member here for a few years now ive even entered the pic comps a way back . real life hit home and i found i never had enough time to put my heart in it. i now find myself with plenty of time , but i sold my 14 inch go to . can someone point me in right direction please . i want to get myself another scope i want a go to........ it will be primarily for imaging planets moon jupiter saturn but also general viewing . unfortunateley i sold all accessories with the scope and now find myself lost in the ever changing world of astro imaging .
i have read and reread till im blue in the face one says this and another that ?????
what is the best choice of scope for me . i dont want to waste more cash . i notice their are now skywatcher dobs 14 inch with go to . i thought yes that would be good then i read some say ok for observing the moon not for imaging planets
please any ideas would be good oh i mentioned a toucam to one shop and he said um u have been out of it for a while .
i dont want to spend a fortune on a camera just a simple device ie webcam type would be good . colin

2000 pound buget but would like as much change as possible

#2 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

What is your budget, that will help with suggestions.

#3 colinkk

colinkk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

hi warren as little as pos to 2,000 pounds

#4 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

I'm sure you will get many opinions, but if I were focusing on the planets and the moon, I'd go with something like a C8 or C9.25 and on either a CGEM or Atlas Mount. Then go with one of the Imaging Source camera's that you can get new starting at about $300. If you can obtain them used then you would be well under your budget. I suggest a GEM rather than a fork mount in case the bug would bite you to do some DSO imaging as well.

#5 colinkk

colinkk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:18 AM

hi thanx for your suggestion but why why a sct why not a dob or newtonian colin

#6 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

hi thanx for your suggestion but why why a sct why not a dob or newtonian colin

A dob is not great for imaging although you can do it and if it is a tracking dob all the better, and a newtonian is fine but with a long focal length, which is what you want for planets it can become a wind sail if there is a breeze. An SCT is compact (less effect from any wind) but can still have a long focal length, and you can use Focal Reducers on them to widen the field if you want to do some DSO imaging as well in the future.

I actually took my first planetary and moon photos with a dob but a GEM mount makes it so easy to keep your object in the field and you don't have to worry about rotation of your image.

One other suggestion would be to frequent the Solar System Imaging forum and check out what most of those folks use and ask what they would recommend. For camera's it is typically Imaging Source or Flea, but there are others as well.

#7 colinkk

colinkk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

hi thats great advise i can c how a sct would b more stable maybe i should go nick my 14 inch goto meade back . however im not sure the bloke would part with it now .. so i could maybe get a celestron newtonian say the 12 inch one with the goto then get a barlow and an extension tube to stop it right back. thats what i did wen last using my old scope colin

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics