Photo

Mallincam Original Wireless Controller for $68 !

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#26 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

There are many innovative and talented DIY'ers in this hobby. I don't have the time nor patience to worry about how to splice a cable or attach some $4.50 fan assembly. So I pay retail. It is what it is. Kudos to you if you can figure out how to save $200 that's nice. Astronomy is a fun hobby and there are certainly many zealous and passionate aficionados on CN. I sometimes buy used equipment and feel proud that I could get a functional product for half the cost of new. That's great as we can save some $ but there is a cost in not supporting those small businesses that are innovative and leading in their respective field. Ultimately if mallincam cannot make a profit he will cease innovating. In a mature and large industry there are many new entrants all,the time, but in a highly specialized field like this that is not true. So I support mallincam because first and foremost he has an excellent product. But I also respect the fact that he and his us distributor Jack need to make a profit to stay in business. So I pay full retail. I get a high quality product, it makes me very happy and I obtain emotional zeitgeist from knowing I am supporting a product that could be critical in getting so many other part time amateurs more hooked and dedicated to astronomy...

I can buy $50 tickets to sit up in the rafters to watch the Knicks play basketball or I can spend $500 to sit near the floor. Why pay anything at all as you can watch the games in HD at home. So many ways to save money... It's important. But heck we choose when to over pay and when to get a bargain. I don't shop at Costco, I don't care about coupons and I don't regret paying full price for my mallincam products. Sorry, but I don't care to crimp,cables or figure out wiring diagrams. And I prefer to sit near the floor when I see basketball games.

Al

#27 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

There are many innovative and talented DIY'ers in this hobby. I don't have the time nor patience to worry about how to splice a cable or attach some $4.50 fan assembly. So I pay retail. It is what it is. Kudos to you if you can figure out how to save $200 that's nice. Astronomy is a fun hobby and there are certainly many zealous and passionate aficionados on CN. I sometimes buy used equipment and feel proud that I could get a functional product for half the cost of new. That's great as we can save some $ but there is a cost in not supporting those small businesses that are innovative and leading in their respective field. Ultimately if mallincam cannot make a profit he will cease innovating. In a mature and large industry there are many new entrants all,the time, but in a highly specialized field like this that is not true. So I support mallincam because first and foremost he has an excellent product. But I also respect the fact that he and his us distributor Jack need to make a profit to stay in business. So I pay full retail. I get a high quality product, it makes me very happy and I obtain emotional zeitgeist from knowing I am supporting a product that could be critical in getting so many other part time amateurs more hooked and dedicated to astronomy...

I can buy $50 tickets to sit up in the rafters to watch the Knicks play basketball or I can spend $500 to sit near the floor. Why pay anything at all as you can watch the games in HD at home. So many ways to save money... It's important. But heck we choose when to over pay and when to get a bargain. I don't shop at Costco, I don't care about coupons and I don't regret paying full price for my mallincam products. Sorry, but I don't care to crimp,cables or figure out wiring diagrams. And I prefer to sit near the floor when I see basketball games.

Al

Good to know that if I ever get into the video astro cam business making my own line of cameras there are so many nice people out there ready to pay full retail and support me . I am actually more and more tempted to do this . It might be a compulsion due to the fact that I've been designing and producing electronics for a living since longer than I care to remember.

#28 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Folks,

May I suggest viewing this thread as a technical suggestion and leave the vendor specific out of it and avoid debate on it?

We have different users in the forum and getting these two mixed up is not a good sign.

As I said, a well educated consumer gains more.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#29 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

An oscilloscope would show if the signals are the same. One would have to have both versions and a scope though

#30 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

An ociliscope would show if the signals are the same. One would have to have both versions and a scope though

Or have a Mallincam and see what's inside (the circuitry connected to the DC iris connector).

#31 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

I am actually more and more tempted to do this . It might be a compulsion due to the fact that I've been designing and producing electronics for a living since longer than I care to remember.

If that's the case why didn't you just do it? If you are as competent as you would have us believe, you would have it done by now.

I haven't been designing and producing electronics for a living since longer than I care to remember but I managed to put together my observatory with less discussion than what has taken place in this thread. Walk the walk or talk the talk.

#32 mallin

mallin

Vendor - Mallincam Video

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Dear mattflastro and others,

I would like to correct a few issues with you statements if you don't mind. That way, no misinformation gets lost in cyber world.

First, I rarely post here and rarely read here for reason you just created. Our Wireless Shutter System was made to our strict specification by Pixel. It needed several updates custom made by them based on our own schematic diagram in the receiver part

Some of the reasons are as followed:

- Digital pulse required to activate the Hyper circuit inside the MallinCam Xtreme.
- Polarization of input
- shielded internal to keep digital noise down
- Harmonic suppression caused by digital interface
- Cold temperature operation down to -30C and up to 45+C.
- FCC Approval in the US had to be modified by Pixel due to change in digital pulse interference. Cost alone was 7500.00
- IC Approval (Industry Canada) in Canada Cost to do this alone was a little 10,000.00
- European Telecommunications approval certificate. Cost 8500.00
- Upgadability is possible with our model.
- We choose not to have the MallinCam brand on it to avoid more Canadian taxes applied to the unit entering in Canada.

Not sure what you met by FUD in one of you post. Can you please explain?

Now about our Heat dissipator. It cost well over 12,000 to get a proflow company to evaluate the right angle, right aluminum, thickness and especially fans. Our fan certainly don't cost 4.00 a piece. They cost us at the shop 17.00 each fan and are high flow with zero vibration. Plus a employee to assemble them at 20.00 an hour with plugs and connector solder and hardware screws nuts washers etc. A big concern of mine was vibration while delivering adequate flow to the so called "bend aluminum" as you described. We got them custom made to our HDX2-F unit. They are custom made not bought on line to some cheap Chinese over stock warehouse. Let me assure you that this bent aluminum is far more than just a bent aluminum. The type of aluminum used carry the correct amount of heat under any outdoor temperature. The amount of engineering it took to the the right results was staggering to say the least. They are CNC made locally in Ottawa Ontario Canada by my designed. It took nearly a year to design until the correct flow, cooling was achieved. The machine shop doing these unit for us charge a lot for a reason: QUALITY and PERFECTION in material required to do high end HDX2 unit. Anodizing is expensive in Canada the thickness change the specification of the HDX2 unit so a right amount of precision anodizing was used. All of this cost and cost a lot unfortunately. You want the best, get the best. I will not cut corners on our products ever!

Some have tried to make a HDX2 type by themselves only to find out it has cost them a lot more by the end and still could not produce the flow and cooling required for the MallinCam Xtreme.

I sincerely hope this put the subject at rest. If anyone have questions, please send me a direct e mail at mallincam @ gmail . com and get the truth and accurate information fro me. I answer the phone, I answer all e mails.

Sincerely Yours,
Rock Mallin (astronomer)
Principal designer
President and Owner of
ProCom Electronics
Ottawa Ontario Canada

#33 mallin

mallin

Vendor - Mallincam Video

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

[/quote]
Or have a Mallincam and see what's inside (the circuitry connected to the DC iris connector). [/quote]

mattflastro,

If you claim to be a tech, why do you need to open a MallinCam to copy it? There are copy rights on the circuits design and patents as well in place.

Now that I read a little more your posts, it seems you do not own a MallinCam. So much for you being original.
I'm out of here. Back on the MallinCam Yahoo groups.

Rock Mallin
MALLINCAM
Ottawa Canada

#34 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

I would like to correct a few issues with you statements if you don't mind. That way, no misinformation gets lost in cyber world.

- FCC Approval in the US had to be modified by Pixel due to change in digital pulse interference. Cost alone was 7500.00

I now have to correct the misinformation in your own statement if you don't mind.I hope you are not spreading it intentionally , because as you said, misinformation doesn't get lost in cyberworld.

- Pixel only has the original unmodified FCC authorization for your remote .
An FCC search shows they obtained no authorization for any modification .
For anyone who is curious to search and see for themselves, this is the FCC authorization search web page:

https://apps.fcc.gov...nericSearch.cfm

The only FCC ID ever obtained by Pixel or Procom for the remote you are selling is X5SWTCTW-282TX .

https://apps.fcc.gov...=Exhibits&am...

All documents were submitted to the FCC on 1/11/2011 with no further alterations or modifications .
The usual cover letters, internal and external photos , test report, user manual were submitted.
When changes are made , there is a second or mdoified test report ,plus additional correspondence .
None of these exists for the pixel remote , sorry .
I hope you are not selling to unsuspecting customers illegaly modified remotes because then unfortunately not only you are liable but the users too .

#35 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Our fan certainly don't cost 4.00 a piece. They cost us at the shop 17.00 each fan and are high flow with zero vibration.

If you pay $17 /ea for that fan, your electronics distributor is ripping you off .
You owe it to your customers whom you care about so much to buy the same fan from a more reputable and honest distributor.
I am willing to help you so here's a link to a well known distributor for your exact Sunon heat dissipator fan :

http://www.digikey.c...&vendor=0&WT...

The price is $3 to $5 dependng if you buy one or more qty NOT $17 , so you would save $12 per fan or $24 per unit .

#36 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

mattflastro,

If you claim to be a tech, why do you need to open a MallinCam to copy it? There are copy rights on the circuits design and patents as well in place.

Rock Mallin
MALLINCAM
Ottawa Canada

A search on the USPTO (that's the US Patent and Trademarks Office ) revealed a total number of 0 = ZERO patents for you or your cameras .
But please correct me because I'm hoping to be wrong so please post your US patent numbers if you truly are holding any patents for anything in those cameras .
Incidentally, I do not intend to copy anything in your cameras or to deliberately use your Chinese suppliers , Mintron, Wakayama , Tucsen , GSO , Pixel etc.

#37 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

I am actually more and more tempted to do this . It might be a compulsion due to the fact that I've been designing and producing electronics for a living since longer than I care to remember.

If that's the case why didn't you just do it? If you are as competent as you would have us believe, you would have it done by now.

I haven't been designing and producing electronics for a living since longer than I care to remember but I managed to put together my observatory with less discussion than what has taken place in this thread. Walk the walk or talk the talk.

Well, I hope you agree it's not too late to do it now, is it ?

#38 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

There is 0, FCC, IC or European trademarks in place. There is 0 mallincam trademarks in place.

2 thumbs up for trying to pull the wool over our eyes..

2 Thumbs up for trying to make any money any way you can! Especially in this day and age.

#39 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

What the heck is going on here?

Rock Mallin is a great guy, he has responded here with extreme patience and restraint.

And he's Canadian in case you didn't notice, maybe he doesn't care about US Patents? :lol:

#40 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

The man took His money, His time, His risks and built a company with a very loyal customer group who all seem to like quite and respect Him very much. People buy his product and they like it very well and come back for more, thats free market capitalism at work. Seeing how he took all the risk, produced a product that people like, and seems to be well liked and respected,, hey I hope he makes lots of money :jump:

#41 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

The man took His money, His time, His risks and built a company with a very loyal customer group who all seem to like quite and respect Him very much. People buy his product and they like it very well and come back for more, thats free market capitalism at work. Seeing how he took all the risk, produced a product that people like, and seems to be well liked and respected,, hey I hope he makes lots of money :jump:

In what way is this answer related to the suggestion I made for Mallincam to show the patent numbers ?
Or to buy the same exact fans (same part number) from a better distributor and save money for him and his customers ?

#42 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Absolutely is not related to that, was just my two cents. You should just call or email mallincam with your suggestions and he may hire you on as a buyer or something or consultant. Someone may take your thread and beat you to the punch.

#43 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

The benefit for public forum discussions is that individual viewer can render his own opinion, so long as the information laid out are facts.

Market-driven economy (or some form of capitalism and globalization) gives (well educated) consumers the benefit. Others just pay the tuition to be more wise.

This is not to say vendors/dealers/manufacturers should be non-profit operations. On the other hand, there are many counter-examples such as camera shop sells many second-rate accessories, car dealers use service to make the profit, inkjet printer (essentially give away printers to sell) cartridges, etc. There ought to be a balanced point. You don't want to kill the hen but you don't want to buy eggs at astronomical (pun intended) price.

Enough said. Can we move on?

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#44 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

I have a Pixel TW-282/DC0 for a Nikon camera. If I only needed a cable that would be safe and compatible I would be a happy camper. I really don't have a need for one but for the price of a cable I would use it at times. I have a pc with me all the time so it is not vital to have the remote.

#45 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

mattflastro, thanks for bring up the questions and providing the links ;) ... and you can see that this sub-forum is quite different from the rest of CN :D

#46 Widespread

Widespread

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

I don't know anything about FCC's submissions or patents, but Rock specifically stated that he had both. So it's reasonable for Matt to ask about them, especially since they were cited as factors contributing to the high cost.

I don't know about you all, but when a question is asked, and the answer given does not appear to check out, I like to have things clarified.

#47 mallin

mallin

Vendor - Mallincam Video

• -----

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Dear Matt,

Let me reassure how misinformed your are. I own other successful companies which we are involved in RF radio telecommunications. How can you possibly think patents and other copyright materials would be under one name? You have jumped to conclusion here.

I have designed several circuits for large firms in professional radio communication years ago (still do), my original trade is RF designer /technologist, where I own several patents on them including copyrights. I am not about to tell you nor I have to disclose any information to you nor I have to justify myself to you or anyone else about my practice of patents copyright or other forms of registrations and circuits for that matter. In fact, if you carefully look further into it, I mean get real info not from the internet, any devices that is "handcrafted" falls into different laws due to their "experimental" status and not into definitive company manufacturing. The country I live in is not the same as yours obviously.

About fans.... Well, You publicly admit here that you would offer people in getting inferior components and bad design in your statement. If you want to make a cooler with $4.00 fans go right ahead. You obviously do not care in what people needs as far as quality and well designed items not to mention lack of capacity to think how much research is needed into air flow and cooling among other things. We got our fans custom made by a firm where high flow, thin design, lightweight, durability, AND vibration free AND OUTDOOR USE were an important issues in our design. We only offer the finest in material and research and development into our product. A industry standard I have been practicing since 1985.

Customers deserve the best materials, design and and that is what we do for them. I am not about to let them down by offering cheaper fans, cheaper material and poor craftsmanship to them like you suggest, never. If this is your practice, I am no surprise at all.

Matt, I do not come here often for the exact reason of your posts. You make others suffer by reading you post and material and create doubts for no reason at all. This is a astronomy site. Please, respect it as a astronomy discussion site. Promote astronomy instead of knocking down others. If you claim you would use cheap inferior components such as cheap fans, please keep others out of your feud you have against me. Don't let others suffer on your account. You have disrespected everyone else in this forum by posting such accusation and creating unnecessary posts with misinformation.

Please show a little bit of respect to others in the name of astronomy and astronomer worldwide.

Sincerly,
Rock Mallin
MallinCam
Canada.

PS: This is my last post to you and I will not come back to read your reply. I have better things to do. Enjoy Astronomy!

[/quote]

A search on the USPTO (that's the US Patent and Trademarks Office ) revealed a total number of 0 = ZERO patents for you or your cameras .
But please correct me because I'm hoping to be wrong so please post your US patent numbers if you truly are holding any patents for anything in those cameras .
Incidentally, I do not intend to copy anything in your cameras or to deliberately use your Chinese suppliers , Mintron, Wakayama , Tucsen , GSO , Pixel etc. [/quote]

#48 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Dear Matt,

Let me reassure how misinformed your are.

Dear Rock,

You claimed you hold patents for the Mallincam circuits.
I found none and asked you for the patent numbers.
You reply with insults and obfuscation.
Why not do the simple and common sense thing of revealing your patent numbers for the cameras , instead of the above ?
Of course you don't HAVE to but since you talked so much about them it would be common sense to follow thru .

Regarding your fans, do you claim here that you are NOT using the Sunon Maglev fans from my link ? Or are you going to avoid this answer the same as the patents one.

I posted no link to cheap inferior fans whatsoever and the amount of obfuscation and blatant lies and misinformation you are spreading is astounding.
Every link I posted and statement I made is verifiable true .
Try to accuse me of slander , PLEASE.

And lastly, I have no feud against you, why would I ?
I was just looking into a video purchase and your stuff was the most hyped so it was a natural first choice.
Not for me anymore, after the way you are treating my simple questions in this public forum . You talk about respect while you are trying to intimidate and bully .
I do not want to become your customer and be told by you "why do you need to buy a spare cable" or overbilled for replacing your Sunon Maglev fan ,or who knows what else I find if I delve deeper into your cameras. Luckily this won't happen because I'm not going to ever buy one .
I am grateful to you for having such a short fuse though and helping me avoid being your customer .

Gratefully Yours.

#49 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

You have this all wrong, Matt

Your posts are sickening
Rock has personally supplied me free of charge with upgraded cameras...i was willing to pay hundreds of dollars but he refused...
He is the real, genuine deal and his cameras are used worldwide...the BBC recently used an Xtreme and a Signature to show live views over 3 nights of prime time television in their annual Star Gazing Live shows. The operator of these cameras was a famous BBC camera man who wrote a rave review about Mallincams in January's Sky At Night Magazine.....Europe's largest circulation astro mag.

A few hours spent on NSN viewing live broadcasts will show immediately the difference in quality between Rock's cameras and other astro video cameras....it's a Ferrari playing with a Ford.

I am pleased you are not buying a Mallincam.
If you did there would no doubt be more of your unnecessary poison on other related forums.

Your loss, mate

Have fun with your el cheapo Samsung

#50 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

:gotpopcorn:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics