CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Low Power EP for 127mm Mak

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eric63

Eric63

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

I currently use a 2 inch 32mm 70 degree Titan as a low power eyepiece in my 127Mak. I love the view I get in this eyepiece and I can get approximately 1.5 degree FOV. I'm therfore wondering if a 38mm 70 degree eyepiece would also work, or is it too low for this scope. I have the SW 127Mak, which came with a 2 inch diagonal, however the visual back is less than 2 inches.

Thank you
Eric

#2 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

You'll get something, but there will be vignetting. I use a ~60° 35mm (1.25") as my lowest power EP on the 127. This has some vinetting, but you have to look for it - for casual observing it is not intrusive. It's most easily detected when looking at the out of focus diffraction pattern of a star. The rings will appear distorted/cut off as you move the scope to place the star at the edge of the field in the EP.

Can you give the setup a try before purchasing?

Ed

#3 Eric63

Eric63

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Thank you Ed. I'm mostly a visual observer, and with my limited experience I have yet to recognise any vignetting. I think I will take your advice and see if I can try out a 38mm EP first. Right now I like the 1.5 degree FOV that I have with 32mm. I guess I'm just trying to get a bit more sky in my view :grin:

Eric

#4 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

I don't blame you for trying. Not until I tried to look at the Pleiades, did I realise what restricted field of view really meant. That said, I purchased the scope as a convenient means of planetary viewing and to satisfy a curiosity about catadioptric instrument designs. For these purposes, it has served very well indeed :)

Ed

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics