10x50 Orion UltraView

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sterling, VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

In preparation for the Winter Star Party, and in a fit of impulse buying, I ordered a set of these yesterday. They seem to be rated highly by the user comments on the Orion site, and generally well-thought of elsewhere. Your thoughts?

I began by first looking at the sticky posts here, but realized that (1) it would take me literally years to get through them, (2) most were directed to glass I was unwilling to pay for, and (3) a lot of the comments were dated years ago.

So I dropped back and punted.

#2 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

I have the Orion UltraView 8x42 and think they are very good for the price. The 10x50s, which I have never used, also come from Japan. Please note the UltraViews are not waterproof.

Here are some threads on the Orion UltraView 10x50.
What Binoculars Comfortable with Wearing Glasses?

Small Binocular Reports: The 10x50s

Orion Ultraview 10X50 or Leupold WR 10X50? Enjoy--They should serve you well at the Winter Star Party and afterwards.

#3 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

I have the Orion UltraView 8x42 and think they are very good for the price. The 10x50s, which I have never used, also come from Japan. They should serve you well at the Winter Star Party and afterwards. Please note the UltraViews are not waterproof.

So, you're saying that I shouldn't take them snorkeling?

#4 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

So, you're saying that I shouldn't take them snorkeling?

Just don't let them be exposed to rain or heavy dew. I edited my earlier post and added some links to discussions of the Orion UltraView 10x50s.

Have fun at the star party.

#5 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Yes, thanks, I saw those links. EdZ's comparo was dated 2008. Do things change over time in the bino market, or is it pretty much static?

#6 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

First, let me say I rarely tread into the optical engineering or production discussions of binoculars. There are some, however, who hang out on this forum who know quite a lot about both of these aspects.

Nevertheless, regarding your question I will offer what I can.

Do things change over time in the bino market, or is it pretty much static?

As I understand the production of binoculars, the factories receive the specs, develop a working model, get it approved by the distributor, and then produce a run of the requested model or part. Some binoculars are partially assembled in one facility and finished in another facility or two--or so I have read. Sometimes, essentially the same binocular will be made for several distributors--changing armor, eyepiece, focusing mechanism, or some other external as the additional distributors specify in their order.

What this really says to me is the Japan production of the Orion UltraView series was manufactured several years ago and at that time entered the Orion distribution facilities. Thus, the UltraView model EdZ tested in 2008 is probably from the same production run as the model you may shortly receive. With Orion, my guess is they sell through a specific series, and then move on to a different series. An example of this process may be the Orion Savannah Porro 8x42 and 10x50 of a few years back. These were very nice binoculars for the price, but a little narrow in the FOV. In fact, these were the sweetest binocular to hold that I can remember. But today, they are gone. You even have difficulty finding them in the used bino market.

I hope this helps.

There have been attempts to identify binocular production and distribution by serial number. A few years ago I was part of a survey at the Bird Forum that attempted to find out just when the Nikon SE series models were produced. The Nikon SE survey did determine differences in those models over time, having to do with glass and coatings, and maybe some other changes. What I remember is the Nikon SE series was produced many years ago (decades?) and now Nikon is in the last wave of selling through the last production run. However, I have forgotten much from that survey. I guess it is still available in the Bird Forum archives, if you are interested.

The bottom line in my opinion is this. Binoculars roll off the assemble line and sit around somewhere until they are sold. If they do not sell well, then the price drops. If there is a good demand for the model, possibly a few changes will be made, and another production run will begin. One example of this is the various "editions" of the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 porro, another excellent binocular.

Hopefully, if I have given out any incorrect information in answering your question--the optical engineers and production experts will come along and correct what I have said.

#7 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

• Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

My, (now long gone) Orion Ultraview 10x50 was included in several reviews, the first written in 2002. they were purchased IIRC, back in 1999.

FWIW, there are better 10x50s for the money. I'd rate them about the same as the Nikon Action (not the AE)

There are only 6.0°. They have only 60-65% of the fov undistorted. they are not waterproof. They have only 13mm of usable eye relief. resolution is not among the best.

I owned them for quite a few years before I really started testing binoculars and found how they measure up to many others. I sold them.

#8 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Well, i hope they're better than the Meade 7x40s I was given for being a member of the Delaware Astro Society. Apparently they'd gotten a bunch gratis from somewhere and gave them away. Could never get the images to merge.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics