Orion Nebula 1/14/13

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jsines

jsines

Mariner 2

• Loc: Berkley. Michigan

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

I had my first clear night in days Monday night, but not much time so I imaged this really quick. I did a polar alignment but didn't do a drift alignment, so the stars are a little elongated. I focused on bringing out the brown dust in this picture, and also tried to balance the colors a little better than my last attempt. The only way I think I could get more dust is longer exposure, darker skies, or narrowband filters.

36 x 120-second lights at 400 ISO
20 flats at 100 ISO
20 darks
20 bias
imaged in a white zone
stacked and processed in PixInsight.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files

#2 Yoddha

Yoddha

Vendor (APT)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Sofia-Bulgaria

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

It is nice, but the looks a bit over-processed. Try a less aggressive processing. You will loose some nebulosity, but it will be more natural IMHO :)

#3 jsines

jsines

Mariner 2

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking the same thing about the processing, and I actually dialed it back from my first attempt. I think I'll try lowering the saturation on this one, or probably starting over with the original integrate fit file and see what I get. It's soooo easy to cross that line when you're processing from natural to over-processed.

#4 jsines

jsines

Mariner 2

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Ok, with a lot of cloudy nights, I decided to reprocess this one. I do agree that I probably went overboard with the first attempt. I think this one came out much better, it seems more "natural". It looks like I clipped the blacks, but I didn't. I think I'm just not able to capture the dust surrounding the nebula like others because I'm imaging in a white zone, and because of the processing time.

I think this one is one of the best M42's I've ever done (yet!).

Thanks for the feedback!

Attached Files

#5 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

very nice !

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics