Problems at Meade???

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#1 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Saw in another thread an item about Meade possibly going bankrupt. Then saw this article too:
http://www.macroaxis...y_Of_Bankruptcy

Uh oh.......another one bites the dust?????

#2 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sterling, VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

I find it hard to believe that any of the lower/middle end manufacturers make enough to stay in business for long. IIRC, even Roland Christen says that his telescopes are essentially loss leaders to help sales of his mounts.

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

If true, it's a shame. Their new mounts could have been a turn around for them, but instead turned out to be some serious missteps ... at least from what I've been reading here.

I agree that with the relative small astro-market, and the high prices for most of these mounts, it's hard to understand how any of the companies can sell enough product to make ends meet.

-Dan

#4 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I hope this does not mean the end of Meade. My first telescope was a Meade LX90. I will always keep it. I hope somehow things will turn around for the best.

#5 DHurst

DHurst

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

In my world, Meade officially folded when the RCX debacle started. I'm surprised they lasted this long!

#6 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

It would be terrible to lose Meade -- competition keeps everyone pushing the technology forward and adds incentive to maintain quality and offer value. For personal reasons, I would feel badly also: although I never owned a Meade telescope, it was seeing those big, beautiful Meade cats in The Nature Company store that reawakened my love of astronomy.

-- Chris

#7 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

The RCX debacle was the beginning of the end, and was the start of a long trend of bringing utterly half-baked products to market. The launch of the LX80 and LX800 series were such catastrophic mistakes that I don't think there's any way they can recover. They released a terrible product at a high price and did wrong by a lot of customers. The LX800 especially was a nail in the coffin that they hammered in themselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if the brand gets bought out by an Asian concern like GSO or Long Perng, so the brand will probably continue, but Meade as we have long known it is probably suffering its last gasp.

#8 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Jeesh, rumors/stories of Meade's immanent demise have been flying around for years. It'll be a shame if it happens, I really enjoy my Meade gear, all the way from my little olde 2045S up to my shiny new Lightbridge 16. Losing a major player like Meade could not bode well for the rest of the market. There's an olde saying in business about how there's nothing worse than having an increasing share of a shrinking pie.

#9 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I was surprised by on part of the now missing post. One of their customers (their largest) is holding back $.6m of receivables. That either means a big retailer is going down, or is sitting on a whole lot of un-useable Meade inventory.

Either way, it's never a good thing to lose a company. You never know what you have until it's gone.

#10 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

There was a time when people thought Apple was going the way of the Dodo Bird. Michael Dell said at the time, "What would I do? I’d shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders."

Look at Apple now!

So, I am not saying they will make it. I will say, I am one of the 14" LX800 recall customers and I am hanging in there, probably not the only one.

God Speed, Meade.

Tony

#11 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Under the sky

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

And now look at Dell ;)

Best of luck to Meade, hope they pull through.

#12 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Hope they pull through, Meade's been a name in astronomy for a while...

As far as Apple, now that Steve's gone; it'll be pillaged by the moneychangers until all that's left is a shell, like Hostess...I estimate in 25 years, Apple will be an entry in the history books....too bad, they had a good product.

#13 Paul G

Paul G

Aurora

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I was surprised by on part of the now missing post. One of their customers (their largest) is holding back $.6m of receivables. That either means a big retailer is going down, or is sitting on a whole lot of un-useable Meade inventory.

Either way, it's never a good thing to lose a company. You never know what you have until it's gone.

Walmart is one of, if not their biggest retailers in terms of scopes sold.

It will be sad if they go away, even though some of their problems were self inflicted, because competition drives innovation. That's one reason the govt denied their request to merge with Celestron a long time ago. I wonder how a single US SCT manufacturer would have fared instead of two who spent millions on lawsuits against each other. Now there are none.

#14 nevy

nevy

Viking 1

• Loc: UK

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Better keep hold of my lightbridge , it may become a collectable classic ;-)

#15 Paul G

Paul G

Aurora

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Good idea! Wonder what will happen with replacement parts.

#16 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

It would indeed be a sad day if Meade goes under. Sometimes I think there are people that hope for it because of the issues they've had. Personally, I hope they pull through and can provide us with someone else besides Celestron to rely on for scopes.

#17 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

The possibility of Meade going bankrupt has been bantered around for several years. They still are cranking out some good products. I hope they don't go under.

#18 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Well bankruptcy would not necessarily mean they would disappear. There are forms of business bankruptcy that allow a company to reorganize while holding debts in abeyance, and sometimes they emerge stronger. Or a bankruptcy could result in a selloff of the various product lines (I could see Explore Scientific, for example, acquiring and reissuing Meade's scope line or parts thereof.) Just too early to say, and as one who has owned and still uses some Meade products, I hope for the best. Luckily the supply chain runs downward from manufacturer to dealer to customer, so it would not appear that Meade dealers would be jeopardized, unless they had passed a lot of money for orders up to Meade and would be on the hook for refunds.

#19 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

It threw me for a loop when Meade dropped the LXD75 series . These were a variety of optical designs that were available to the enthusiast that couldn't afford an arm and a leg to get into the hobby with decent aperture and go to capabilities . The 8 inch SCT , the 6 to 10 inch SNT and the 5 and 6 inch achromats were all nice setups for the money and I thought were popular sellers . Heck you can't even get an achromat from Meade anymore other than the toy models they sell . The AR5 and AR6 were pretty darn good achromats . The Schmidt Newts had great optics and the 8 inch SCT was an awesome tube . All on an EQ go to mount . Now where are the EQ mounts ? Not from Meade ! Meanwhile , Celestron runs with the ball and puts out a number of choices in the go to EQ realm leaving Meade in the dust . Celestron still putting out a variety of decent apertured achromats for the refractor enthusiast . It just doesn't compute as a marketing strategy and seems a suicide attempt on Meades part . What a bunch of goofballs .

#20 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

:grin: Mike

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Well bankruptcy would not necessarily mean they would disappear.

:waytogo:

If Meade goes bankrupt, which seems likely, it is unlikely they will disappear, they will still be around but with new ownership.

My guess is that the same thing will happen to Meade that happened to Celestron, they will be owned by the Asian manufacturer who was a major supplier. In Celestron's case it is Synta Optical, in Meade's case it will likely be Jinghua Optical who also own Explore Scientific.

Jon

#22 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Star Rancher,

I agree completely. I wonder if they had low profit margins on those products? Maybe that would be the reason for their push to a high-end equatorial mount.

Either way, I hope they make it. Having someone besides Synta to rely on for innovation is important.

#23 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

And we need this thread why?

Andy

#24 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Andy

Good ? You all shoulda' cared with your wallets. :smirk:

#25 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

Andy

Anyone considering the purchase of new Meade equipment would probably want to know - if for nothing but potential customer service and warranty issues. If Meade actually does go out of business, is there any recourse for the buyer in the case of equipment problems/failures? If Meade were to be bought out by/merged with another company, will the new parent company honor Meade's warranties?

If I were in the market for new equipment, I'd certainly consider the info in this thread valuable.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics