• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Moon

Steve Moon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Hi,
I have an Orion XT8i, push-to telescope.
Since the day I got my scope, I've been getting a bad azimuth reading.

My azimuth reading is NOT changing if I rotate the scope slowly. It seems it works when I rotate my scope fast as I see the numbers in the object locator change. However, when I move it slowly, it does not respond to the movement.

I contacted Orion and one of the technicians told me to use a 'non hardening caulk' between the triangular base (the bottom base) and the underside of the magnetic disk.

Does anyone know what the 'non hardening caulk' is? Is silicon can be a type of it?

Also, another question I have is whether the magnetic disk should not move when I rotate the scope cause the technician said 'It sounds like the problem is the magnetic disk is sometimes moving with the upper base.'

Clear skies!

#2 mmclure

mmclure

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, CA USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

The most common suggestion here on CN is to use double sided tape (the thin transparent stuff, not the foam type) between the magnetic disk and the base. Four pieces, placed evenly spaced around the perimeter of the disk should be enough.

This post goes into great detail on how to maximize the performance of your Intelliscope.

#3 Steve Moon

Steve Moon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Thank you Manuel for a quick answer.
Also the link is really helpful, too.

Now I have some works to do :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics