LX-80 (Guess I got a good one)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

• Loc: Alabama

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Got upset about some of the negativity about my new mount, so I took a break from CN for awhile. During that time, my new LX-80 Multi-Mount arrived. I was able to test it with over 30lbs (my entire imaging setup) in equatorial mode. After a semi-accurate polar alignment, I hit 10 Messiers in an hour's time, and all were dead center. Vibration damping only took a second or so after slewing. There was no evident vibration at the eyepiece unless I really bumped it pretty hard. I was all geared up to put it in my observatory and try it photographically, and then the rains set in. My new Skyshed is leaking and I have ordered new molding from Skyshed that has yet to arrive. Also, it has literally rained ever since, and my night out with the mount was two weeks before Christmas! It's hard to stay away from Cloudy Nights, when that is all, and I do mean ALL I am having at home! I will report on my photographic attempts whenever I am able to make any. But I do appear to have a good LX-80!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for what that is worth. Here is a picture of everything loaded up and in the field on that one night. (Vixen R130SF, AT6RC, WO 66)

Attached Files

#2 punk35

punk35

Mariner 2

• Loc: lower michigan

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

:yay: :yay: that's good to hear :waytogo:

#3 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Jmax,

I got a good one also and, like you, almost no days since mid-December to use it.

That's a nice looking set up you have. I'm looking forward to your AP results.

#4 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Good to hear, nice looking setup!

#5 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Congratulations on the mount. Though I'm not a Meade fan of late, it's good to here there are some LX series mounts being delivered.

#6 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

AWESOME :) That's the best picture I've seen. I'm really happy you received a good one.

I too look forward to some AP from you.

#7 DuiA1

DuiA1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Great news. I should receive mine back from Meade hopefully this week with the slop issue resolved. Really hoping that I can rejoice with you soon. I will post results once I get mine back. I sent it back December 6.

#8 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

You're using short focal lengths. The problems have been reported with things like your C9.25.

-Rich

#9 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Thanks Debbie downer.

Trombone: Wop wahhhhhhhh..... :lol:

#10 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

I'm an engineer; it's what we do.

-Rich

#11 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Yeah me too. A helluva one at that.

#12 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

You escaped from GT, also?

-Rich

#13 turtledude1

turtledude1

Explorer 1

• Loc: SW Fla.& SW. NM

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Found this on yahoo Meade LX 200 group, this doesn't sound good at all, enjoy your mount it may be one of the last.
too bad.

On January 14th Meade filed a 10-Q with the SEC. Their financial condition is not good. You can see the entire filing here:

http://biz.yahoo.com...4/mead10-q.html

Here is the troubling section:

The Company has incurred significant recurring losses and negative cash flows from operations which have resulted in reduced liquidity and a weakened financial position as of November 30, 2012. The Company also has endured working capital problems caused by product development delays during the past twelve months. In addition, in January 2013, the Company's largest customer, and one additional customer, notified the Company that they had unilaterally, and without prior notice, decided to indefinitely hold payment of approximately $0.6 million in accounts receivable, which will further reduce the Company's already limited liquidity. Due to these issues, the Company's management now believes substantial doubt exists about the Company's ability to continue as a going concern and that it must modify the Company's business model and operations to reduce spending to a sustainable level. Such actions could cause the Company to be unable to execute its business plan, take advantage of future opportunities, respond to competitive pressures or customer requirements. It may also cause the Company to delay, scale back or eliminate some or all of its research and development programs, seek opportunities in a strategic relationship or business combination, or to reduce or cease operations.

#14 Griffin!

Griffin!

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

That's been posted in 4 or 5 places already, do we really need it in another thread?

#15 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

That's what we like to hear!!

David

#16 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

That's true, but these three together weigh more than it. So visually I think it will be fine. I'm not really planning on using the 9.25 for photography just yet. I want to get better with the fast scopes first, well the AT6RC isn't really fast, before I try it. I do have the autoguider attachment on backorder. When it arrives I'll think about trying something with the 9.25.

#17 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Meade received my returned LX80 on January 2nd. I still have not heard from them when they will be sending the refund check. Hopefully that will be soon.

Jack H

#18 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

I forgot to mention that tracking was excellent. I left it centered on M31 for an hour, and I could see no discernible motion in the eyepiece at all. This was visual, mind you, and it was through my f/5 reflector, but it really seemed to track better than my EQ5P. The real test will be when I start trying to take pictures, I know, but for now I am happy with the mount. We are currently under a Winter Storm Warning with up to 6" of snow possible this afternoon. Hey, this is Alabama! I'm quite sure my new observatory and mount have something to do with the strange weather.

Oh, and here is another picture of the mount all loaded up and waiting in my man cave... and waiting, and waiting, and... well, you get the picture.

Seriously, thanks for all the positive feedback, and even if Meade does go belly-up, it might turn out to be quite a collectors item, who knows!

Attached Files

#19 MawkHawk

MawkHawk

Messenger

• Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

The LX80 looks so beefy, I just don't get how it would not be able to handle at least half of the stated weight. I watched a guy with an LX80 recently and was surprised at how beefy it is.

#20 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

The LX80 looks so beefy, I just don't get how it would not be able to handle at least half of the stated weight. I watched a guy with an LX80 recently and was surprised at how beefy it is.

I don't discount Meade could have changed something, but it would have to have been recently. Oh, the mount LOOKS beefy, but it is shaky. Very shaky.

#21 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Rod,

Of course I haven't seen another one, so I don't know about changes. I was just really shocked with mine, because I expected the worst. The only real play at all is in the RA axis. I was shocked by how accurate the gotos were. I've owned five goto mounts (Ioptron Cube, ETX90, two EQ5Ps, Nexstar 5), and this was by far the easiest to align and most accurate on the slews. Also, carrying the 30lb+ weight did not seem to be a problem at all. When it was moving, very rapidly I might add, to targets, the motors were quiet and smooth. It did have some 'bounce' in RA when it arrived, but as soon as it settled, I saw no shakes in the eyepiece. I also saw no problem with ratcheting the tripod brace tightly up against the legs. I don't think there is any chance at all of my hub breaking as has been reported before. Mine was apparently built very recently and in China (according to the box), if this makes any difference.

#22 brokenwave

brokenwave

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

I have one of the first shipped and my experiences are similar to JMax's. The tripod is very beefy, the mount is not as beefy but does the job (Visually)well,
No AP as of yet.
Even with a 8" SCT it settles quickly. The best mount I have compared it to has been a 1 year old CGEM

#23 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

I've had the experience of good and bad nights with the same mount. The real lay of the land is only apparent after you get some time with the equipment.

-Rich

#24 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Impressive setup, glad to hear its working out.

John

#25 Jay Wise

Jay Wise

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Near Williamsburg VA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Got upset about some of the negativity about my new mount, so I took a break from CN for awhile. During that time, my new LX-80 Multi-Mount arrived. I was able to test it with over 30lbs (my entire imaging setup) in equatorial mode. After a semi-accurate polar alignment, I hit 10 Messiers in an hour's time, and all were dead center. Vibration damping only took a second or so after slewing. There was no evident vibration at the eyepiece unless I really bumped it pretty hard. I was all geared up to put it in my observatory and try it photographically, and then the rains set in.

Hear, hear! I have had to do the same. The negativity against Meade and just in general forces me to take a break from CN sometimes. I have a CGEM that is giving me grief and a 8" LS-ACF that works great. So what does that prove. I have come to realize that one must consider that these goto and tracking scopes are extremely complicated and are made to sell to a very small population. They are, for the most part, a hobby item and to keep the price affordable the companies sometimes cut corners in the R&D and also in manufacturing. Computer control seems to turn out good optics on a regular basis but we are awaiting the same to be true in mounts. If you want to spend a ten to fifteen thousand up you can get extremely reliable mounts. The rest of us either can't or won't spend that much. As the saying goes, "it doesn't take a genius to build an automobile that can go 250,000 miles for $100,000, the genius is in doing it for $10,000." So enjoy your new mount and I expect you will get it going and have some real fun with it.

JayW

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics