Photo

Sound on remote computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Morris

Michael Morris

• Loc: Worcestershire, UK

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I'm in the process of changing my set up so that I open up the observatory, set up the kit, then run an imaging session from the warmth of my study. At each end of the system I have a 1GB RAM machine running XP home. I have limited band width and a monthly limit on my internet usage, so I want a system that has a relatively low impact on computing power, internet bandwidth and information transfer.

So far I've downloaded and workout how to use RealVNC to control the observatory computer from the study and I've jerry-rigged a Philips SPC 900NC webcam to monitor the scope. The study computer can now control the scope and I can see it moving on the webcam.

The next thing I'm after is getting the study computer to pick up sound outputs from the observatory computer. RealVNC doesn't seem to do this. I want this option for two reasons
1 - so that I get audible alarms on the study computer from software running on the observatory computer
2 - so that the webcam microphone can pick up noises inside the observatory (mainly the scope slewing).

Has anyone any ideas about the best/cheapest/easiest/ lowest computing power way to achieve this?

Thanks

#2 johne

johne

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott, AZ.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

If you're running Windows XP Pro on both ends, using the Remote Desktop that comes with XP Pro will provide the remote computer's sound on your study machine (as long as both computers have sound capability.)
I had this running under XP Pro and have since upgraded to Windows 7 Pro and its works that way as well.

#3 Michael Morris

Michael Morris

• Loc: Worcestershire, UK

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

If you're running Windows XP Pro on both ends, using the Remote Desktop that comes with XP Pro will provide the remote computer's sound on your study machine (as long as both computers have sound capability.)
I had this running under XP Pro and have since upgraded to Windows 7 Pro and its works that way as well.

Thanks John.
As I said in my original post, both machines are running XP home.

#4 johne

johne

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott, AZ.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

Sorry Michael. Apologies for missing that. :(

#5 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

You may want to check here.

Regards,

Charlie B

#6 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

I advise you get the following webcam off of Amazon.com or Ebay: "Foscam FI8918W Wireless IP Cam Wifi IR-LED WiFi Camera".

The webcam can be set up in 1-2 minutes to operate while plugged directly into your computer's USB port. It provides sound and you can pan/tilt and turn its IR light on/off via the computer. It even has its own external speaker so you can talk to someone else who is out in your observatory, but the broadcast quality is not so good. However, the webcam's ability to listen is very good. I can't imagine operating my observatry without it!

The webcam can also be set up for access via the web. It has its own webpage and you can login with your own Username and Password to view from anywhere in the world. The set up of this feature was not very easy, however. I finally found a decent video on youtube.com that helped me out a bit but it was still challenging as I had never gone into my modem and opened up a remote port and the like. However, for your needs where you can plug the webcam directly into your observatory computer's USB port it will do a great job!

#7 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Check your PMs. This worked for me on a mobile PC running XP Home. It takes about 10 mins to do once you read everything.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics