1.25" T Adapter vs. SCT T Adapter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mitaccio

mitaccio

Viking 1

• Loc: Oahu, Hawaii

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

I currently have a Nexstar 8SE SCT scope and a Canon T3i. I want to take some solar system images and need to get the T Adapter. I wanted to know what is the better adapter, the SCT or generic 1.25". Each has it's own obvious advantages, but I want to know if there is a reason to get one over the other.

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Definitely get the SCT adapter. You'll get a much more solid connection to the scope.

Just curious, what do you see as "obvious advantages" of the 1.25" adapter?

-Dan

#3 mitaccio

mitaccio

Viking 1

• Loc: Oahu, Hawaii

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

You can use the 1.25" adapter on any scope. you aren't limited to using it on a SCT. It's more future-proof if I ever get a Newt or Refractor.

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Ah, I see. Personally though, I wouldn't use a DSLR on a 1.25" barrel connector. There's just not enough stability with that small of a tube, plus it limits the view and can cause vignetting.

Using a T-to-2" adapter gives a much more solid connection, although it does require a 2" diagonal or visual back (or focuser in the case of a different scope type). And the larger opening does not constrict the optical path.

I'd still go for the SCT connector as my first choice, but a 2" adapter would be ok too.

-Dan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics