Lunar Observer's Toolkit

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Lunar Observers Toolkit by Harry D. Jamieson is a great tool but no one seems to be supporting it any more. I tried getting it updated 4 years ago but couldn't get anywhere. Anyone else have any ideas?

#2 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

My apologies! I guess my mind is as poor as my wife insists that it is. When I was looking 4 years ago, I was able to contact Harry Jamieson via e-mail and he was gracious enough to send me his update to 1.1.25 from the 1.1.16 version that I had originally gotten from him several years earlier (2003).

I have sent him another e-mail to see if he has updated it yet again. I will let you know what I find out.

#3 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Ranger 4

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

I've always just used Virtual Moon Atlas http://ap-i.net/avl/en/start

#4 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I've always just used Virtual Moon Atlas http://ap-i.net/avl/en/start

This program serves a different purpose than a moon atlas and does not have any corollary that I am aware of.

Lunar Observer's Toolkit is a computer program designed to aid lunar observers at all levels to plan, make, and record their observations. This popular program was first written in 1985 for the Commodore 64 and ported to DOS around 1990. Those familiar with the old DOS version will find most of the same tools in this new Windows version, plus many new ones. A complete list of these tools include Dome Table View and Maintenance, Dome Observation Scheduling, Archiving Your Dome Observations, Lunar Feature Table View and Maintenance, Schedule General Lunar Observations, Lunar Heights and Depths, Solar Altitude and Azimuth, Lunar Ephemeris, Lunar Longitude and Latitude to Xi and Eta, Lunar Xi and Eta to Longitude and Latitude, Lunar Atlas Referencing, JALPO and Selenology Bibliography, Minimum System Requirements, Lunar and Planetary Links, and Lunar Observer's ToolKit Help and Library. Some of the program's options include predicting when a lunar feature will be illuminated in a certain way, what features from a collection of features will be under a given range of illumination, physical ephemeris information, mountain height computation,coordinate conversion, and browsing of the software's included database of over 6,000 lunar features.

From "The Strolling Astronomer", Volume 50, Number 4, Autumn, 2008, the newsletter of the Association of Lunar and Planetary Observers.

#5 Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox

Ranger 4

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

I would be interested in hearing what you find out from Harry as I still have the "older" version....

#6 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

I would be interested in hearing what you find out from Harry as I still have the "older" version....

1.1.25 is still the latest version.

From an e-mail I received from Harry yesterday:

There have been no changes made to ToolKit since your last copy. Demand for the product has been essentially non-existent, and this has what has always driven change in the past.

#7 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

If anyone is still using this tool, the link to Consolidated Lunar Atlas (CLA) stopped working on my machine. Apparently "The Lunar and Planetary Institute" has changed their web page structure. Harry discovered that "http://www.lpi.usra....rces/cla/info/" entered in the Configuration screen for Map References, Base URL for CLA Atlas Plates will solve the problem.

#8 Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox

Ranger 4

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

I still use it, so many thanks and my appreciation for the update!!

#9 sc285

sc285

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: KS

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

I still use v1.1.19
Was there any significant issues addressed in 1.1.25 or was it minor stuff? Any way to get the 1.1.25 update or am I out of luck?

Rob

#10 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

I still use v1.1.19
Was there any significant issues addressed in 1.1.25 or was it minor stuff? Any way to get the 1.1.25 update or am I out of luck?

Rob

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I sent you a PM with more info.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics