Thinking of buying Coronado SolarMax II 60mm

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

Orangish. But, I don't see any discernible difference in the color between the two scopes.

#27 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rockledge Fl

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thanks Doc.

#28 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Funny how color perception works. The Sun looks quite red in both my LS80 and my LS100. The DSII for the LS80 is very much worth purchasing so long as you don't mind a little "enhanced sky glow" in the background.

#29 la200o

la200o

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Someone my club bought an SMII 90DS and while it is a fine scope, there are a few things that bug me about it.
- I hate the helical focuser. It's stiff and difficult to get a precise focus with.

- The extension tubes are sloppy.

-Terrible "sweet-spotting". Unless proms are almost directly in the center of the FOV, they're either very dim or gone completely, and this is through the BF15.

I just received an LS80 single stack, but haven't had a chance to use it, yet. I'm curious to see the comparison.

I'll be curious to hear your comparison. My pre-SMII SM90 is a very satisfactory instrument: Yes, a sweet spot, but not as bad as you describe by far, and the image is certainly not dim. (Mine is not DS, tho', so I guess that's the difference). The helical focuser is not so bad. My biggest objection to the scope itself is its humungus size and weight (beautiful to look at, however). The Lunt appeals to me because of the smaller size and because people seem so much happier with the way Lunt treats customers.

Clear skies,
Bill

#30 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rockledge Fl

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Thanks Fro.

#31 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

I guess is all depends on your description of "orange" or "red". I call orange, well the color of an orange and red the color of a fire truck (except for those freaky lime green ones). I put the color at the eyepiece of both scopes somewhere in the middle of those two, but again, not a discernible difference between the two.

#32 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

I did post some comparison notes a few posts up.

I agree with you about the weight of the SMII. It is pretty to look at, but man is it a beast compared to the LS80.

I can't say much about Lunt's CS as I haven't had to deal with it. I did send them a request asking what the lead time on the LS80 was and never received a response. I just happened to get lucky an caught when OPT had one in stock.

I'll give the guy at OPT a tip 'o the hat. Since I ordered on the web, he saw that I had placed mt order before a local had called wanting to buy it. He called me so that we could complete the sale before it got jerked out from under me.

Guess I should also apologize to whomever in California wanted to buy the scope and didn't get it. Sorry. :D

#33 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

I think focuser debates are interesting. Some people really get passionate about them. Others don't really seem to notice or care about the focuser (as long as it works a little bit). I confess to being in the latter group. Why someone would pay an extra few hundred bucks for a focuser change is beyond me.

But, if you're a focuser guy, you need to learn that you are and scratch the itch. Basically, know what is important to you and what isn't. Spend accordingly.

#34 George9

George9

Messenger

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

On focusers, it depends a lot on what you are putting in them. If a single Plossl eyepiece, then save your money. If a heavy binoviewer with two heavy eyepieces pointed to a sun high in the sky, then you probably want something that works relatively smoothly and then holds still.

That doesn't mean that any of the stock focusers is not good enough. But a heavy payload is where you would think about it.

George

#35 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

I have to admit that I love LOVE the Feather Touch on my TMB130, but couldn't justify the expense on the solar scope. I'll be doing mostly photography with a 38 gram camera, so the stock crayford should be fine. It took some adjustment so that it would support itself, but it's just find now. It's not the best crayford I've used, but it's not the worst, either.

#36 la200o

la200o

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

I don't image, but the much despised helical focuser doesn't slip with heavy Ethos ep's.

Bill

#37 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

I recently picked up a Coronado SolarMax II 60mm and find it great. Do I regret it? Not at all, it will hold me over until I get a 80 or 90mm Ha for the next cycle. Do I wish I bought a Lunt? Not really, because I needed to put funds towards a monochrome camera, if I had the wiggle room in my budge I would have sprung for the Lunt PT 60bf12. Even on Stephens website for reviews, there is pretty much a toss up between the Lunt and the SolarMax if your talking the standard tilt-tuner.

The Helical focuser isn't bad at all, takes a bit to get use to, works fine in practice.

John

#38 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Vostok 1

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

I have no issues with the focuser on the SMII. It's not bad, just different than a Crayford style focuser...and that may be the source of the focuser debate.

The scope had no quality issues out of the box and I was pleased with it. With the DS on, there is definitely a sweet spot. I didn't find that to be the case without the DS.

Interestingly enough, the views through my Meade Series 5000 HD 60 eyepieces are better than the "Contrast Enhanced" Coronado eyepieces.
The views through the 12mm were especially pleasing to my eye.

-Steve

#39 mikertx

mikertx

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

I like my SMII-60 but didn't care for the focuser. I also wanted to be able to remotely control the focus. Ron at Moonlite fixed me up,
http://www.mikesastr...armax_moonlite/

Mike

#40 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

I think it is likely that you will wish to have a zoom lens.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics