14 replies to this topic

#1 Ciarlotto

Ciarlotto

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mondragone - Italy

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Hi,
does anybody know or use the Cabela's Steiner Outfitter series 10x42mm? Is it a good one?
Thank you.

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

There was some discussion on these recently over on BirdForum.
From what I understand, the Cabela's Outfitter are a rebranded version of the Steiner Predator Xtreme, manufactured by Steiner in their Chinese factory. I believe that on the European Steiner site these are called the Ranger Pro.

#3 Ciarlotto

Ciarlotto

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mondragone - Italy

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Thank you very much Mark1973

#4 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

There was some discussion on these recently over on BirdForum.
From what I understand, the Cabela's Outfitter are a rebranded version of the Steiner Predator Xtreme, manufactured by Steiner in their Chinese factory. I believe that on the European Steiner site these are called the Ranger Pro.

Several Steiners come from Asia. However, I don't think you will find a Steiner factory there. That's not the way it works. With enough money, you can have the optics, mechanics and cosmetics altered, but most companies don't bother.

Manufacturers send out catelogs of the basic instruments and the importer selects what they want. A catelog might have a page full of similar instruments labeled: A-6, A7, AP-4, N-2 and the like. Or, as we are familiar with Kunming . . . BA-8.

Cheers,

BillC

#5 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I was just reporting what I read on BirdForum, see post 17 in this thread:
http://www.birdforum...ad.php?t=248565
Do you know for a fact that Steiner doesn't have a factory in China, Bill?

#6 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Mark,

http://www.24hourcam...90243/Steine...

http://bulletin.accu...acquires-ste...

Stan

#7 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I have a pair. They are EXCELLENT! They are on a Predator C5 chassis with the Merlin HD optics and coatings. Made in Germany.

#8 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

I was just reporting what I read on BirdForum, see post 17 in this thread:
http://www.birdforum...ad.php?t=248565
Do you know for a fact that Steiner doesn't have a factory in China, Bill?

I DO NOT know that for a fact! But the odds against it are astronomical. Why have a factory when you're already getting all the Asian products you need without the need of going to all the headaches of maintaining another facility, in another land with another payroll--especially when the optics world is such a dog eat dog situation?

How many people think that bino IMPORTERS are bino MANUFACTURERS, and how many MANUFACTURERS of instruments are thought to be MANUFACTURERS of glass? :crazy:

Cheers,

BillC

#9 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

Yes, Steiner manufactures and imports some really good binoculars. However, after reading the first of the links posted on the Steiners, I can only say the fellow speaks as if he once worked for P.T. Barnum.

My take as a tech--making a living for years on the front lines of binocular repair-- is somewhat different.

One point: the author points out how a certain Steiner binocular is designed especially for hunting because it can bring out a brown deer against a green background. The following is from #11 of De-MYTH-tifying Binoculars . . .

“ . . . are touted as a “feature” to increase contrast. Yet, anxious advertisers don’t tell the rest of the story. Ruby (and the like) coatings CAN help accentuate a brown deer against a green background. That’s a fact! Unfortunately, similar “anti-reflection” coatings are so . . . REFLECTIVE, they can appreciably reduce light transmission, as a large part of the incoming light is reflected back whence it came, thus reducing the effective aperture! The result? A loss in the image brightness the coatings were supposed to help you obtain!

Which is more important to you: image brightness or contrast of certain subjects? From my perspective: If you can’t see it, contrast is of little value!”

This is the slippery slope one walks upon when not having a foundation in the realities of optics or believing everything you see in print. And, many people would enjoy looking through a rusty pipe if it had a German name on the side; even if that name were stamped on in China.

A good bino company? FOR SURE. Producer of some fine products? TRULY. Warranting all the mysticism of credentials? HARDLY!

Reality Bites.

BillC

#10 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

So I'm looking at mine and they say "Steiner Germany" on no less than 7 places on the outfit. I'm guessing they are made in Germany. Just like it says on the product page at Cabela's in about three or four different places and oh yeah, Steiner's are made in Germany.

In answer to the OP, yes they are good. VERY good. One look and I sold all my other 10X binos. The HD Merlin optics are simply stunning. The 6 degree fov does not seem tight at all. 24.6 oz is nice for optics of this size. Hand-holding is quite comfortable with built in thumb rests and comfy retractable eye-cups. The tethered objective covers are easily removable with the completely awesome clip-lock system, that also allows a nice carry strap for the gorgeous hard-rubber and Cordula case. The rain guard is very nicely thought out. The bino strap is extremely comfortable nylon and soft rubber affair. The diopter does not lock, but it also does not move inadvertently. The fold down, integrated eyepiece wing guards are fantastic. Really all binos should have this. I love it. It's also equipped with a "Fast Close Focus" knob for extremely quick and smooth close focusing for birders. Let's see, completely waterproof to 3 feet. Phase coated roof prisms and waterproof objective coatings round out a VERY nice package.

Like I said before, these are a hybrid of the Predator C5 and the Merlin HD. You can ONLY get this new at Cabela's (as Outfitter is a Cabela's brand) or direct from Steiner Parts when they sell demos or overstock from Cabela's. Sometimes (like during xmass) you can find them on sale for about $400. The regular price at Cabela's is $600. Well worth it IMHO, but I got mine for about $100 at a second-hand store. Great find.

#11 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

“So I'm looking at mine and they say "Steiner Germany" on no less than 7 places on the outfit. I'm guessing they are made in Germany. Just like it says on the product page at Cabela's in about three or four different places and oh yeah, Steiner's are made in Germany.”

Seven Places? And then, there’s the old “Methinks he protests too much.” [Yes, I know the real quote, that's why I have license to screw it up.] You’re probably safe. But then, from what? There was a time when, if you wanted the best, you had to buy a Zeiss or Leitz (now Leica)—period. However, Asia has had that gap closed for a long time; at least if you’re willing to spend Zeiss or Leica dollars.

And what about the “Adlerblick Fernglasser”; in what part of Germany does that one originate?

Oh, really?

Boy Stace, is it foggy or what? I’m on the Board for a local non-profit and two members were no-shows tonight because of the fog and traffic. This belongs to San Fran, not Everett. Be safe.

BillC

#12 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

Haha BC. Now I do notice it does NOT say "MADE" in Germany. However, if they do import, they are required to state country of origin, yes? I care not.. This is sweet glass. I'm going to Cabela's tomorrow, I am going to find out the old fashioned way. Wonderful glass there. For now, I sleep.

#13 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

You're right, its the performance that counts not the country of origin. FWIW there's a pretty interesting discussion on BirdForum at the moment about Zeiss binoculars were certain budget models do explicitly say "Made in Germany" and it is known they are made in Japan by Kamakura. Turns out there's legally not a whole lot a company needs to do to a product to be able to state "made in Germany".

#14 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

"its the performance that counts not the country of origin."

Carving that in stone will precede getting the average consumer getting his head around the concept--by about 200 years!

The BOX for a certain European bino I once sold said "Made in ____________." And the BOX was made there. The bino, however, was made in Japan.

"Integrity" has gotten to be a word in someone else's dictionary.

BillC

#15 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

"its the performance that counts not the country of origin."

To a point. For sale or re-sale it most definitely is a factor that counts for many. Psychological thing really, Germany has been known for quality engineering and mfg for years. Japan as well. China is QUICKLY catching up, but not quite there. In 10 to 15 years, with China (who makes everything) improving quality at it's current, blistering (relatively) rate, brand and line will become more the indicator of quality. In this continuing age of easy world-wide communication and reporting, sub-standard products will be almost immediately known to all.

You can see the phenomenon (or result) already apparent in appliance mfg. Mfgs. come out with new models every year. But a model with good consumer ratings hangs around for a few years. Who's going to buy the model with 40+ reviews and 1.5 stars? The retailer takes the loss, but the mfg has to tool up a new model to address the issues. Sometimes it's just as bad lol.

Sorry for the ramble. Great binos anyway! SOMEBODY put a LOT of thought into these. :ubetcha: Unless you're selling them, the country of origin makes no difference. And soon, even that will make EVEN LESS difference. :)

This weekend it should be clear so I can't wait to grab some photons with these!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics