Photo

Anyone know if the TV60is has been discontinued?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

I noticed it is no longer listed on the TV website although the TV60 is still there. Did I not get the memo? :confused:

I was very pleased to pick up a new-to-me 60is last year and I've grown very fond of it. It is one of the most versatile little scopes I've ever owned, with truly great optical quality and built like a bomb shelter.

Was it not selling well (as I suspect), a casualty of the economy and a glut of inexpensive Asian sourced 60-ish mm refractors, or is it possibly being updated (seems least likely based on the first 2 possibilities)? :shrug:

#2 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Well it may have been dropped like the TV102,the trouble is that TV stuff is getting very pricey,JMPOV,DA.

#3 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

• Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

The "standard" TV60 is £770 in UK.
Great instrument but too expensive.

#4 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

I'm not sure I agree that TV gear is getting much more pricey (although prices have inched up over the years) - rather that the significantly lower cost alternatives are plentiful and TV just can't compete price wise?

Even so, the 60is is a serious tool with some special attributes and I'm sorry to see it gone from the marketplace if that is indeed the case. Thus, I don't think it should be lumped in with the low cost 60-70mm refractors based on perceived bang for the buck "value" alone. I take it some demand from the birding community helps drive sufficient TV60 sales to keep it alive for now..?

#5 John Rhodes

John Rhodes

Vendor (Televue Rep)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Torrance, CA.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Group,
Yes the TV 60"is" has been discontinued (sadly, a favorite of mine) :(
I dont have an official reason, but I know in this market it wasn't selling well.
Just the "is" though... the TV 60 will continue in production.

Here is a great alternative the: TV 76 + TRF 2008 .8 Reducer Flattener !
-More aperture
-Faster at F/5 ( still flat )
-Feather touch: 10:1 Rack & Pinion
:cool:

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Group,
I dont have an official reason, but I know in this market it wasn't selling well.

-More aperture

John:

Can the TRF 2008.8 be used visually with an eyepiece like the 31mm Nagler or is it just for Astro-photography?

Jon

#7 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Oh well, sorry to hear that John - I feel fortunate I managed to get one when I could. I can also confirm the TV76 with TRF2008 is a great performer - for all the reasons you mention (although I have a Focusmate version). But still, the little TV60is really pushed the right buttons for me as a grab-and-go imaging set-up. Not too shabby as a visual birding scope either with an Amici prism. Or a white-light solar rig with a Baader Herschel wedge. Or a super rigid guide scope, or a.... well, you get the idea.

Attached is the only image of my scope that I've got at the moment: TV60is in terrestrial imaging mode mounted on an Arca Swiss D4 geared tripod head (& Gitzo carbon fiber legs). The camera is a Ricoh GXR with A12 Leica mount APC sensor module (without anti-aliasing filter). This is a fantastic portable set-up that yields great results with this sensor. For dark sky it sits on an Astrotrac. Safe to say I'll be keeping this combo.

Attached Files

#8 John Rhodes

John Rhodes

Vendor (Televue Rep)

• Vendors

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

Group,

-More aperture

John:

Can the TRF 2008.8 be used visually with an eyepiece like the 31mm Nagler or is it just for Astro-photography?

Jon

Jon,
Hi, it is purely photographic:
It has a " T " thread on the camera side so you can adapt it to a DSLR quickly
I keep a T ring on it all the time.
480 mm F/6.3 becomes 384 mm F/5 with a flat field easily covering an APS-C chip.

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

Jon,
Hi, it is purely photographic:

I figured... I would like to find a visual focal reducer so that I could operate my 80mm F/7 at F/5 and get a wider field of view. I have done a little research, Telescope Optics by Rutten & van Venrooij, it seems doable but most scopes have a problem with back focus so it is not practical visually. But the WO has a 2 inch extender built into the path so with the right lens in the right place I should be able to get a significantly wider TFoV but it is something I will have ATM for myself.

Jon

#10 John Rhodes

John Rhodes

Vendor (Televue Rep)

• Vendors

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

here's one of my 60is set-ups: guider

Attached Files

#11 teelgul

teelgul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

Sad. it,was,i believe a great visual scope as well with 2 inch capability and a solid build.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics