CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone know if the TV60is has been discontinued?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

I noticed it is no longer listed on the TV website although the TV60 is still there. Did I not get the memo? :confused:

I was very pleased to pick up a new-to-me 60is last year and I've grown very fond of it. It is one of the most versatile little scopes I've ever owned, with truly great optical quality and built like a bomb shelter.

Was it not selling well (as I suspect), a casualty of the economy and a glut of inexpensive Asian sourced 60-ish mm refractors, or is it possibly being updated (seems least likely based on the first 2 possibilities)? :shrug:

#2 Binojunky

Binojunky

Gemini

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Well it may have been dropped like the TV102,the trouble is that TV stuff is getting very pricey,JMPOV,DA.

#3 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

• Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

The "standard" TV60 is £770 in UK.
Great instrument but too expensive.

#4 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

I'm not sure I agree that TV gear is getting much more pricey (although prices have inched up over the years) - rather that the significantly lower cost alternatives are plentiful and TV just can't compete price wise?

Even so, the 60is is a serious tool with some special attributes and I'm sorry to see it gone from the marketplace if that is indeed the case. Thus, I don't think it should be lumped in with the low cost 60-70mm refractors based on perceived bang for the buck "value" alone. I take it some demand from the birding community helps drive sufficient TV60 sales to keep it alive for now..?

#5 John Rhodes

John Rhodes

Vendor (Televue Rep)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Torrance, CA.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Group,
Yes the TV 60"is" has been discontinued (sadly, a favorite of mine) :(
I dont have an official reason, but I know in this market it wasn't selling well.
Just the "is" though... the TV 60 will continue in production.

Here is a great alternative the: TV 76 + TRF 2008 .8 Reducer Flattener !
-More aperture
-Faster at F/5 ( still flat )
-Feather touch: 10:1 Rack & Pinion
:cool:

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Group,
I dont have an official reason, but I know in this market it wasn't selling well.

-More aperture

John:

Can the TRF 2008.8 be used visually with an eyepiece like the 31mm Nagler or is it just for Astro-photography?

Jon

#7 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Oh well, sorry to hear that John - I feel fortunate I managed to get one when I could. I can also confirm the TV76 with TRF2008 is a great performer - for all the reasons you mention (although I have a Focusmate version). But still, the little TV60is really pushed the right buttons for me as a grab-and-go imaging set-up. Not too shabby as a visual birding scope either with an Amici prism. Or a white-light solar rig with a Baader Herschel wedge. Or a super rigid guide scope, or a.... well, you get the idea.

Attached is the only image of my scope that I've got at the moment: TV60is in terrestrial imaging mode mounted on an Arca Swiss D4 geared tripod head (& Gitzo carbon fiber legs). The camera is a Ricoh GXR with A12 Leica mount APC sensor module (without anti-aliasing filter). This is a fantastic portable set-up that yields great results with this sensor. For dark sky it sits on an Astrotrac. Safe to say I'll be keeping this combo.

Attached Files

#8 John Rhodes

John Rhodes

Vendor (Televue Rep)

• Vendors

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

Group,

-More aperture

John:

Can the TRF 2008.8 be used visually with an eyepiece like the 31mm Nagler or is it just for Astro-photography?

Jon

Jon,
Hi, it is purely photographic:
It has a " T " thread on the camera side so you can adapt it to a DSLR quickly
I keep a T ring on it all the time.
480 mm F/6.3 becomes 384 mm F/5 with a flat field easily covering an APS-C chip.

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

Jon,
Hi, it is purely photographic:

I figured... I would like to find a visual focal reducer so that I could operate my 80mm F/7 at F/5 and get a wider field of view. I have done a little research, Telescope Optics by Rutten & van Venrooij, it seems doable but most scopes have a problem with back focus so it is not practical visually. But the WO has a 2 inch extender built into the path so with the right lens in the right place I should be able to get a significantly wider TFoV but it is something I will have ATM for myself.

Jon

#10 John Rhodes

John Rhodes

Vendor (Televue Rep)

• Vendors

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

here's one of my 60is set-ups: guider

Attached Files

#11 teelgul

teelgul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

Sad. it,was,i believe a great visual scope as well with 2 inch capability and a solid build.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics