• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Quinn

Quinn

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: California, Los Angeles

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

... So why am I so frustrated? Have had winds here over 20 mph since the new year. This coming week we be warned... 25 -30 mph with "nail everything down" gusts.

Time for naked eye astro I guess.
:( Quinn

#2 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Well, there's always that idea of tying your tripod to one of those screw into the ground dog ties and a moving strap.....

#3 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

When the winds picked up in Iceland (and in winter, sustained winds over 40 knots were common), it was time to break out the chains.

You wouldn't have to worry about the mount tipping over with these babies attached! (Now the weather vane effect, that's something else ...) :cool:

-- Chris

#4 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Time for binoculars.

#5 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Ok, you've got the scope hurricaine proofed...what about you???? :lol:

#6 ZeroID

ZeroID

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Ok, you've got the scope hurricaine proofed...what about you???? :lol:

More chains.... and whips .... Ooops !! :grin:

#7 Quinn

Quinn

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Well a cement pier would probably stop the mount from tipping over.

More layers of clothing

Binoculars are a workable

And I'll think about the chains ... and whips...

#8 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Apollo

• Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Set up but only do low magnification rich field observing, the wind shouldn't be too much of a bother in that circumstance...

Jaimo!

#9 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

I am just an hour from you. I am so frustrated by the wind. I am actually considering hitting up home depot for some plastic PVC pipe, connectors and tarps so I can make a complete wind screen 360' around my telescope.

Not only do the winds blow my equipment around but the skies have been horribly unsteady.

... So why am I so frustrated? Have had winds here over 20 mph since the new year. This coming week we be warned... 25 -30 mph with "nail everything down" gusts.

Time for naked eye astro I guess.
:( Quinn

#10 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Apollo

• Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Sound like a great time to buy a some new equipment! :roflmao:

If the weather is going to be bad anyway...

Jaimo!

#11 Quinn

Quinn

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

I hear you on that. Been looking for used C8.

Jaimo!

#12 Quinn

Quinn

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

It is a bit warmer tonight, 'bout 40º. Wind is still in the 20s with gusts. Tonight was a good evening with the 10 meter air pistol. I can shoot down the main hallway indoors, all nice and snug.

#13 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

If the weather is going to be bad anyway...

Jaimo!

Yea, walked into the scope store yesterday and ordered the motor drives for the CG4. Was able to break out the scope for an hour last night, wasn't really dark yet (6pm), the sun had just set. Tried out the RACI from my dob on the XLT, it fit and worked fine. One of those on the way too; while I keep hitting my head on both, that straight thru finder really put me into some real "Twister" positions (you young folk don't remember Twister, but hey, Hasbro convinced our parents it was a game). I raised the scope, those leg extensions don't add a lot of height, I may have to put a small pier on the mount. The scope only had about 20 minutes to cool down. Used the 25mm plossel that came with it to align the finder (which does a hedoublehockeysticks of a lot better job then the straight thru finder). Aligned on the moon as it the most convenient at the time. Swung around to Jupiter, little better seeing position then the moon. Still banging my head of the finder (did this with the old finder too). Just pulled it out to check out some eyepieces I got--I was not impressed with the orthos I bought. It wasn't the narrow FOV; it was hard to bring them into sharp focus, mayb a dual speed focuser (or custom built styrofoam knob extender)might help. At best only saw the two big bands and hints of a third. I'll give them another chance though as it was still very early and the scope had not had much time to cool down (came from indoors 70* to 45*). I did notice with the legs extended, it did take more settle down time (4-5 seconds) then when the are collapsed (1-2seconds). Maybe when the replacement finder comes in, I'll shove it all the way forward in its mount and see if that'll help keep my head from bumping into the finder (and quit wearing ball caps).

#14 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Yea, walked into the scope store yesterday and ordered the motor drives for the CG4. Was able to break out the scope for an hour last night, wasn't really dark yet (6pm), the sun had just set. Tried out the RACI from my dob on the XLT, it fit and worked fine. One of those on the way too; while I keep hitting my head on both, that straight thru finder really put me into some real "Twister" positions (you young folk don't remember Twister, but hey, Hasbro convinced our parents it was a game). I raised the scope, those leg extensions don't add a lot of height, I may have to put a small pier on the mount. The scope only had about 20 minutes to cool down. Used the 25mm plossel that came with it to align the finder (which does a hedoublehockeysticks of a lot better job then the straight thru finder). Aligned on the moon as it the most convenient at the time. Swung around to Jupiter, little better seeing position then the moon. Still banging my head of the finder (did this with the old finder too). Just pulled it out to check out some eyepieces I got--I was not impressed with the orthos I bought. It wasn't the narrow FOV; it was hard to bring them into sharp focus, mayb a dual speed focuser (or custom built styrofoam knob extender)might help. At best only saw the two big bands and hints of a third. I'll give them another chance though as it was still very early and the scope had not had much time to cool down (came from indoors 70* to 45*). I did notice with the legs extended, it did take more settle down time (4-5 seconds) then when the are collapsed (1-2seconds). Maybe when the replacement finder comes in, I'll shove it all the way forward in its mount and see if that'll help keep my head from bumping into the finder (and quit wearing ball caps).

Great report. Will be ordering my RACI this week. Was thinking maybe the 6x30RACI as it has a higher mount than the 9x50.. :question:

#15 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

I got the 9X50 because it gives me greater resolution and FOV, especially in light polluted skies. I imagine the 6X50 will work fine too. Biggest thing was to lose that strait thru finder. For lack of a better place right now, the straight thru finder is resting in the shoe of the dob. Don't know if the post of the 6X30 is higher then the 9X50. Mostly my head hitting the finder was because I was wearing a ball cap, but I still tapped the finder a few times with the hat off....Clear Skies in Denver Tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#16 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Looking at the Orion site and the finders, the 6x30 post is higher like the straight through. Orion finder scopes
I too used to hit the finder with my cap, but now in winter I wear a beabie when viewing.

Partly cloudy tonight, and the rest of the weekend. Cold wind coming from the Bay and Ocean where I am.

#17 uniondrone

uniondrone

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Streetlight Archipelago

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Time for binoculars.

:like:

...or set up the scope behind a serious wind block.

Binoculars make a lot of sense, but if it is windy enough it could be hard to hold them still enough. Perhaps a monopod might be good under these circumstances...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics