Observing Report 16JAN2013

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Very comfortable evening to take the scope out, low to mid 60s(be jealous). Seeing 2.5/5, Transparency 3.5/5, Moon almost halfway illuminated, but hidden behind trees and setting near the beginning of my session. First light for my 20mm ES 68*, so I used it for most observations even when it might not have been the best choice ;) Very nice eyepiece I must add, extremely comfortable to look through and gives great views, I think I'm hooked on ES already. Here are a few of my observations:

NGC2158 Smaller, dimmer, fuzzy patch near M35 with stars almost discernable, one of my favorites due to awesome contrast between it and M35.

NGC2355 Larger than expected, 10-20 stars resolved w/ AV, one “bright” member star has yellow/orange tint, might be more impressive on a better night.

NGC2045 Checked this out because I was curious what it was(classified as a “multiple star”). According to the description there is nebulosity around the star, but none was visible to me. I did however find an interesting sprawling spiral asterism to the NW that I found interesting, reminded me of a bass clef.

NGC2392 Very distinct circular fuzzy possibly oblated towards nearby “bright” star. Responds well to magnification increase up to 167x but appeared best at 100x. Central star easy with averted vision.

NGC2371 Noncircular fuzzy patch at 100x, takes on a dumbbell shape at 167x with one side slightly brighter and larger than the other. No central star visible, yet one suspected in brighter lobe.

IC2165 Out of focus star at 77x and 100x. Small disc at 167x with light blue glow at all magnifications. This would be a good one to go for increased mag on a night of better seeing.

NGC2261 VERY comet like in appearance. Very nice, a new favorite. Responds well to increasing magnification with fan tail becoming larger and wider.

#2 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

On NGC 2392, try kicking the power way up on it and use averted vision with a well dark-adapted eye. You may see the object's 2-shell structure that has given it the name, "The Eskimo Nebula". I have used powers as high as 480x in my 9.25 inch SCT and 800x on the object in my 14 inch, and if seeing is good, there is quite a bit of detail to be seen. Clear skies to you.

#3 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

On NGC 2392, try kicking the power way up on it and use averted vision with a well dark-adapted eye. You may see the object's 2-shell structure that has given it the name, "The Eskimo Nebula". I have used powers as high as 480x in my 9.25 inch SCT and 800x on the object in my 14 inch, and if seeing is good, there is quite a bit of detail to be seen. Clear skies to you.

Will do, thanks for the advice. Seeing was a bit limited though and 167x was starting to push it for the conditions, didn't really go above that on anything last night.

#4 uniondrone

uniondrone

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Streetlight Archipelago

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Nice report! I agree with you on NGC 2261. It's a great object. Although it's fairly well known, I feel that it is still underrated. NGC 2158 is always worth looking for when looking at M35. I have never gone after NGC 2355, however. I will have to check it out based on your recommendation. Since you seem to be looking at a lot of open clusters in Gemini, you should check out NGC 2266. At low power, it is somewhat underwhelming, but at powers in the 60-90x range it really shines. It also has an unusual triangular shape, with a bright string a stars along one edge.

#5 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

I looked at 2266 a few nights ago, also not a great night for observing, but here's what I wrote(was using 77x): Triangle shaped glow of unresolved stars with a small section of occasionally resolved stars(20+ briefly visible with AV).

I do remember it being a very interesting one.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics