Celetron Omni xlt 150 refractor and 120 refractor

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hello,

I'm thinking about coming back to learn more of night sky after a year of Binocular off and on observing. My budget was going to be 200ish and buy Celestron 102gt. But i keep telling myself to spend more money and buy a bigger aperatue refractor. That's how i found, omni xlt 150R. I understand, CA is an issue with this telescope, especially if my goal is to observe planets and bright objects. Does anyone have xlt 150r or experienced with this telescope?

My favorite object to observe is Orion Nebula, i understand dob with bigger aperature is better, but I like refractor's high contrast. Something tells me I don't like central obstruction and collimating. Also I feel like I can carry 150r all together without the counter weight. Any advices would be appreciated even a criticism would be appreciated.

#2 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

I have the 102XLT and love it. The CG4 is a great mount. To be truthful though, the 150R is probably a little too heavy for the CG4. The CG4 is rated at 20 lb load. The 150R is 16 lbs (without any eyepieces). This could really strain your mount, especially if you add tracking motors. Fot the 150R, I'd go for a CG5 mount. For a mount, the "norm" is to be at about 50% of the load for best performance. Nice scope though, and the CG4 for the 102XLT is fine.

#3 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Your research is accurate.

If DSO's are your main focus - definitely go for the 150R.
The extra light will be obvious. M42 will be superb with that scope. If, however, your main interest is Moon/planets, then your choice should be the 120. It has MUCH less spurious color than the 150R.

My focus is planets & moon so I have the Omni 120. Actually I have two Celestron tubes and one Orion tube. All perform very similarly. Either would be a good choice.

The CA even on the 6" f/8's bothers me - easily twice that of the 120mm f/8.3. The 150R at f/5 will have more.

So - it depends on which way your observing preferences lean.

#4 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Agree, a fast acro will show a lot of CA on bright objects. It'll be a great DSO hunter, but a poor planetary scope. +1 on the 120XLT, may be more what you are looking for, nice widefield, f8? so it's easier on eyepieces, but will handle high mag as well, and the CA won't be anywhere near as bothersome then at f5. If you want a short refractor, go APO, but they are a LOT more expensive

#5 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

For sheer portability and cost, it is hard to beat a 102 gt. I have one and I love it despite the VERY shaky mounting and the less than great eyepieces (which I don't use). I have much larger scopes, but it is so easy to pull this one out.

You could also get a 102 gt (200$) AND an 8" Dob for the price of the 150R. The 102 gt would be much better [than the xlt] on planets and the 8" dob would be much better on Orion. Something to think about.

But at the end of the day, get what speaks to you. If you love it, you're more likely to use it. If you don't like it (obstructed reflectors) you just won't use it, regardless of it being theoretically superior.

#6 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

I have the XLT 102 as well. I haven't had a first light with it yet tho. I had thought about getting the 120 but settled on the 102. I have mine converted over to alt-az at the moment and just waiting for the dreaded new scope curse to pass before I can test the new scope out.

#7 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Thank you for all your advices. I wonder i will be shooting myself on my foot if I buy 105r. Lol. But I just never tried that big size of refractor. I have seen objects through 127 achromat, but never 150.

#8 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

The 150mm F/5 scopes are great for DSOs. I believe there are a few places where you can get the 150R OTA only. With the new CG5 replacement mounts coming out, the time is ripe to get a great deal on a CG5.

I favor a 2 scope solution to observing. the short 6" refractor will not run out of targets while you save up for an Orion 180mm Mak, A 6" wide field refractor and a 180mm F/15 Mak Cass will cover a lifetime of visual observation.

#9 aa6ww

aa6ww

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:39 AM

Hello,

I'm thinking about coming back to learn more of night sky after a year of Binocular off and on observing. My budget was going to be 200ish and buy Celestron 102gt. But i keep telling myself to spend more money and buy a bigger aperatue refractor. That's how i found, omni xlt 150R. I understand, CA is an issue with this telescope, especially if my goal is to observe planets and bright objects. Does anyone have xlt 150r or experienced with this telescope?

My favorite object to observe is Orion Nebula, i understand dob with bigger aperature is better, but I like refractor's high contrast. Something tells me I don't like central obstruction and collimating. Also I feel like I can carry 150r all together without the counter weight. Any advices would be appreciated even a criticism would be appreciated.

Theres a thread on here titled Celestron OMNI 150R you may wanna look at:

http://www.cloudynig...5586946/page...

Naturally... i had to chime on on this thread, and posted a nice photo of my 150R in that thread also, and a long write up on the advantages that scope has which others do not.

Ive had both the 120 and have the 150R. Both are excellent scopes, especially for the money, both have very sharp crisp optics. The 150R is better for wide field lower power views, because of its light gathering ability, the 120 is better if you plan to observe above 100x or more consistently, where wide field views and the extra light gathering aren't as important.
Having said that, both are fun and can do anything you want, some say the 120 is better on planets and brighter objects, the 150 better on deep space.
If you are a planetary guy, there are better scopes for that than both of these, probably not for the cost though. If your a deep space guys, same answer.

The bottom line is really this:

Replace the focuser on either, get a solid mount and spend your time in the observing section of this site and learn the sky. Then what ever scope you get will give you a lifetime of pleasure, Seriously.
If you stay in these equipment forums, you'll never be completely happy with whatever you have, as long as you have a few dollars to spend on "more."
Learn the sky, and whatever scope you end up with, you'll love.

...Ralph

#10 meade4ever

meade4ever

Viking 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

"Replace the focuser on either, get a solid mount and spend your time in the observing section of this site and learn the sky. Then what ever scope you get will give you a lifetime of pleasure, Seriously.
If you stay in these equipment forums, you'll never be completely happy with whatever you have, as long as you have a few dollars to spend on "more."
Learn the sky, and whatever scope you end up with, you'll love."

Ralph, I completely agree with you
I own the 120f8, 150f8 and 150f5 and I'm still looking for something else because I spend more time reading posts than looking at the sky

#11 Mark Costello

Mark Costello

Gemini

• Loc: Matthews, NC, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

There's one other thing I understand about the C150R. The dust cap for the lens has a stop of about 115mm. It kind of gives you a "twoferone" ....

#12 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

There's one other thing I understand about the C150R. The dust cap for the lens has a stop of about 115mm. It kind of gives you a "twoferone" ....

what do you mean ?? 115mm??

#13 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: Wells, Maine 04090

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Evidently the lens cover has a central hole that's 115mm. Put the lens cover on, take off the smaller central 115mm cap/plug and you end up with a longer focal length scope....called "stopping down" the objective lens. So you now have 150mm f/5 scope and a 115mm f/6.5 scope all in one :jump: I think my calculations are accurate, someone please correct me if I'm wrong :question:

#14 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Evidently the lens cover has a central hole that's 115mm. Put the lens cover on, take off the smaller central 115mm cap/plug and you end up with a longer focal length scope....called "stopping down" the objective lens. So you now have 150mm f/5 scope and a 115mm f/6.5 scope all in one :jump: I think my calculations are accurate, someone please correct me if I'm wrong :question:

that's madness :roflmao:

#15 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

I've always been mad........thus sayeth Pink Floyd.......

#16 punk35

punk35

Mariner 2

• Loc: lower michigan

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

:funny:

#17 dlpville

dlpville

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I have to say that Ralph is spot on, the 150R is a great fun scope for deep sky, and the 120 would be nice for planetary. I have the 150R; a Meade 150 f/8, and an SV 102ED f/7. All are wonderful scopes for their intended uses.

But Ralph has certainly made the best point:  get the scope, and learn the night sky. Watch what goes up on the observing forum, and go out as often as you can. You'll enjoy whatever scope you choose, and going that way will also make the investment pay off in the long run.
davel

#18 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

I have both and like them equally for what they are, RFTs primarily intended for DSOs. I agree that the 150 is to heavy for the CG4. The CG4 is a great mount and I love mine but not for the 150. I love the 150 and 120 for grab and go to a dark site, and there I like to do a lot of casual star sweeping. This lends itself to a sturdy alt-az mount. My 150 is on a Universal Astronomics Unistar deluxe on a heavy duty surveyor tripod. My 120 is on a vintage Professional Jr. 16 mm movie camera tripod and pan head. As such, both work great. I use 2 inch eps with both so you need a good 2 inch dielectric diagonal. I replaced the focuser on the Orion ST120 with a GSO dual speed focuser. So far however, I have been quite happy with the 150's focuser.
As I said, I really like both scopes and plan to keep them. Let me emphasize though that they are not my primary telescopes, and I would not be nearly so happy with them if they were. If you plan on one of these and it will be your principal telescope, I would definitely recommend the ST120. It is smaller, lighter, and yet a fairly capable instrument. You will get more use out of it.

#19 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Lol Terra, I just placed an order for 150R and i just got on here to read your comment><. I hope I made a great choice. Also one of the review I have read said to minimize CA, use w 56 green filter. Is tjat a same filter as #56 green filter? Any recommendation on how I can minimized CA? Other than buying another scope?

#20 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

It's a neat scope you'll like it. It's BIG :)

#21 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Lol Terra, I just placed an order for 150R and i just got on here to read your comment><. I hope I made a great choice. Also one of the review I have read said to minimize CA, use w 56 green filter. Is tjat a same filter as #56 green filter? Any recommendation on how I can minimized CA? Other than buying another scope?

What about picking up a Baader Semi Apo filter?

#22 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

I've read couple of reviews on the omni xlt 150r with semi apo, they said semi apo doesn't do much where as Sirius mv1(not sure where to get that) minimize about 60% of it. But he mentioned w 56 green filter killed the fringing/halo completely but of course planets turn green. I am wondering what do most of you veterans use or have tried on fast achromatic refractor to view bright objects.

Is w 56 green filter samething as #56 green filter?

#23 watcher

watcher

Vanguard

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

Congrats on the new scope! First, and foremost, enjoy using it for what it excels at. PLEASE remember that this is a specialized scope. Many observers get frustrated and become dissatisfied when they try to use a specialized instrument for all around use. If some sort of filter works for you, great. If not, you can always get a second scope specialized for the opposite type of observing later. Like I said above, a 7" Mak would be a perfect match.

#24 SeptemberEquinox

SeptemberEquinox

Ranger 4

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

thank you watcher

guess what y'all, it's been shining in San Diego for about 10 days straight. As soon as I received my telescope, ha! Cloud appeared.

#25 Pat at home

Pat at home

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

I'm a bit late to the party, but I concur with the 2 scope suggestion. I have 6" f/6.5 achromat and it is a very nice rich field and DSO observing instrument on a good mount. Paired to this is also a f/9 4" ED doublet that is just perfect for planetary and lunar, as well as terrestrial daytime.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics