AP portable pier or Eagle Pier

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

The Eagle pier is $1600 while the Portable pier (42" height) is around $800.

What benefit will the Eagle give me over the other that is worth $800?

Thanks,

Dave

#2 BWAZ

BWAZ

Apollo

• Loc: CA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Simply put, quicker to set up and much easier to level.

#3 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

The modular tray system is really slick- setup is extremely fast. Steady as can be.

-Rich

#4 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

The Eagle pier is so much sexier... LOL! Just kidding.

The Eagle folds up nicely and is extremely stable. It can be stored and transported in a single storage bag.

The portable pier has a few different parts that have to be transported and assembled on site. As well, it requires a fairly level surface.

You may want to consider the Rob Miller TRI36L Tripod. It's somewhere in between in price, but extremely lightweight and stable. I have one and I love it. I can move my mount and tripod in and out of my garage without taking it apart.

#5 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Neither.
3 words : Rob Miller Tripod

#6 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

The trays are supposed to work with the portable piers too. At least the 6x42 had extra holes if you wanted to mount the AP tray system. The Eagle is the same center column but not pebble finished like the portable piers.

To transport the portable pier you have to take it apart. Then put it back together. Not a huge deal but the Eagle and the Rob Miller just unfold in 10 seconds and you're ready to put the mount on. But you pay for it. But most people say it's worth it.

PS The portable piers seemed to double in price overnight recently?!?

#7 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

4 words: His Website is incomplete....

A search on his website for a tripod called TRI36L turned up no results. I wasted 10 minutes looking around at his bewildering variety of tripods but no TRI 36 could be found.

Can you direct me to a retailer who sells these?

Thanks,

Dave

#8 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

The Rob Miller is cheaper. under $800 with levelers.

#9 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

4 words: His Website is incomplete....

A search on his website for a tripod called TRI36L turned up no results. I wasted 10 minutes looking around at his bewildering variety of tripods but no TRI 36 could be found.

Can you direct me to a retailer who sells these?

Thanks,

Dave

Another member is having difficulty finding him via E-mail, but that is how I first reached him. He has a new E-mail which I'll PM you if you would like.

I didn't know he had a website. I was referred to this ad by Rob Himself.

This review is what I first saw, but others are also available online.

#10 ichdien

ichdien

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Send Rob an email. He may take some time to reply, but when he does, he will be very helpful. Once you order, be prepared for a little waiting, but your patience will be rewarded. I have a Tri36M, and it's a great match for my AP 155.

Jim

#11 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

I made the Eagle Pier choice based on stability, pier height adjustments and the ability to adjust the legs. My driveway isn't level, the fields aren't level, I needed the leg adjustments. A few years back one guy joined our group for an observing session. He had this stunning looking mount (Mach1) and this odd (to me) looking portable pier. I watched him setup and to my surprise, wood was used to level the kit. Whatever works I guess.

I have to setup each session and I remembered that guy with wood when I was making my pier choice. The Eagle is very stable, looks fantastic, folds easily. For you being a 99% visual, it is imperative to add the 8" pier extension or two, especially with your refractor. The $1600.00 now becomes $1950.00. Zenith is impossible with my Toa130..I'll be ordering the extension soon. Since I mainly image, it's no big deal for me.

Faron

#12 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

+1 on the 8" extension Faron mentioned. George at A-P recommended I order it along with my Eagle pier, and I'm really glad I did: it makes getting my imaging rig set up very easy on the back. (I am 6'2" and setting the pier at the high position with the extension puts the top of the mount at shoulder height, with the scope just about at eye level.)

-- Chris

#13 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

They don't recommend two extensions at full pier height (minimum tripod footprint) however, except if using a short scope like the 130GT. I think they would advise against it for a 6" f/8 scope. Che k with george what he would trust putting his scope on.

#14 CJK

CJK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast TN

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

That's the other reason I got the extension: I always keep my tripod legs fully extended for stability.

-- Chris

#15 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

The Eagle pier is a well designed, high quality "system" specifically made to compliment the Mach 1, and you pay for that. But it will pay you back in spades. A complete, modular, portable, rock solid pier mount system. Expensive, yes...anything left to desire? No. If you want to play it cheap, you may later desire something the Eagle provides standard. Buy once, Cry once... ;) The Miller tripods are indeed nice...but different. I don't see it as apples to apples. Some may.

PS (Yep, get the 8" extension)

#16 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

The Eagle pier is a well designed, high quality "system" specifically made to compliment the Mach 1, and you pay for that. But it will pay you back in spades. A complete, modular, portable, rock solid pier mount system. Expensive, yes...anything left to desire? No. If you want to play it cheap, you may later desire something the Eagle provides standard. Buy once, Cry once... ;) The Miller tripods are indeed nice...but different. I don't see it as apples to apples. Some may.

PS (Yep, get the 8" extension)

+1 :waytogo:

I used the Portable Piers for a couple years, but finally broke the piggy bank for the Eagle in 2010. It is solid, stable, sexy, and very easy to manage. It might cost a few pennies more, but it has been worth it for me the past couple of years.

I use the 8 inch extension with my refractors, but do not need it for my Mak.

Cheers,

Ron

#17 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

The Eagle is a complete tripod system for the Mach1. It's incredibly durable, stable, portable and it really completes the Mach1. Over the past few years, I've had a few folks come up and simply admire the elegance of the assembled mount... it still amazes me that the performance surpasses it's beauty ... :grin:

and for me, it's the last mount I'm going to buy ... that's how well made this equipment is...

#18 SeattleStarGazer

SeattleStarGazer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I got the Eagle when I got my Mach1 and it's been great. It's easy to set up on unlevel ground and very stable. I have a Televue NP 127 and I got the 8" extension. At lowest height setting for the legs, It puts eyepieces at a perfect height for visual and is fine for imaging too. I got 4 of the accessory trays (2 for eyepieces and 2 solid) and they are very useful to have.

#19 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

If you have a Mach1 GTO and can afford the Eagle, I think it is a no brainer for all the reasons listed by others in this thread. The relative portability, ease of set-up, stability and easy adjustability/leveling are all good reasons. The only other consideration - and this is not a negative - is that I wouldn't call it optimal for visual use. I have both the Eagle with one extension and the AP/Baader wood tripod in part for this reason. The latter is more suitable when I want more height (especially with a longer OTA like my 140EDF) and aren't planning to image. No one tool typically fits all scenarios and piers/tripods are no exception.

But if you are talking just piers for the Mach 1, I think the Eagle is "it".

#20 ichdien

ichdien

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

Since I'm a visual only person, height was the reason I chose not to go with the Eagle for my 155edfs. I sold my AP/Baader tripod after the lighter and sturdier Rob Miller 36M, with Eagle extension, arrived.

Jim

#21 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Rob Miller doesn't really exist, right? It's a joke, like 'Kilroy' in WW2. He's ignored several emails and three phone messages from me over the past few weeks. (Mr. Miller himself is on the phone message so I know I'm at least getting that far....) The galling thing is the rave reviews of his tripods from folks on CN. How in the wide world of sports did they even get one?

The Eagle pier and an extension, shipped to me in Canada, will run me close to $3000 (sales tax @13% plus shipping...) so I'm sticking with the venerable Losmandy HD for now, as bulky and clunky as it is. It is STURDY!

Dave

#22 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Road trip to Rockford! The border guys will never think you're just moving tripods.

-Rich

#23 ichdien

ichdien

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Exactly, He's like "Mr. Kaplan" in "North by Northwest." (Any Hitchcock fans out there?) Joking aside, yes, he's hard to get ahold of. Maybe I was just lucky when he responded to my email a few weeks ago when I successfully ordered accessory trays for the tripod. Hope he resurfaces soon. I think I'd have been happy with the Losmandy too, but I developed back problems about a year ago and needed to find something lighter.

Jim

#24 Denimsky

Denimsky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: BC, Canada

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

Is Eagle really that expensive?
It seems that you can get around $2500.
Eagle $1650 + extension $350 + shipping & tax.

I was lucky enough to get a Rob's tripod and get the eagle extension from Rob as well. If I remember correctly, the extension wasn't that expensive. It was definitely under $200.
Did the price go up recently?

#25 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Pier $1650, 8" extension $350 = $2000

Shipping to Canada $200-300

Tax on arrival to Canada, 13% = $260

So, certainly $2500 or so

the Miller Tripod is well under half of that.

Dave

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics