Jupiter 1.16.13 best yet for me

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tonyb

tonyb

Viking 1

• Loc: WA, USA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

This is Jupiter taken from Bellevue, WA, USA. It's pretty much for me, the best end result I've achieved. A combination of better seeing, higher position of Jupiter and some post-proc changes helped. Captured through Celestron 9.25 + x3 Televue Barlow and Imaging Source DBK 31AU03.AS color camera + IC Capture.AS. Approx 1/30 sec exposure, for 180 seconds, frame rate 30, gain around 90% and histogram about 75% of saturation.
Stacked 2,502 frames in AutoStakkert!2, of which I'm still learning this great program.
Then RGB balance and wavelets in Registax 6.
Cropped 50% in Photoshop CS6 and levels, curves and saturation adjusted.
This image is showing that rind effect which I'm unsure yet how to best process out - maybe PS masks with some edge blurring.

Attached Files

#2 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern UT

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

That is a very nice image, one to be proud of for sure.

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

A big jump and you've created a really good image Tony..! :applause:

Sharpening does increase that effect but there are easy ways to deal with it if you want the sharpened outcome rather than dropping back therein - if you have Photoshop you can use the "Quick Selection" tool to grab the planet* after first magnifying the image for greater accuracy, then "Select>modify>contract" a measured pixel amount will bring the selection just inside said "rind."

Might need to change the pixel contraction a couple of times to get it just right but then "Select>Inverse" and apply just enough Gaussian Blur to remove the rind from the edge - measurable in the preview window image by dragging the image around the edges.....also usefull for removing "colour-fringing" caused by RGB alignment on the planet's surface detail which often leaves those colour-fringes around the peripheries.....for these you apply some de-saturation (quite a deal) after Gaussian Blur and before you "deselect."

But as I said, a really good image and I suspect you're pretty proud of the advances you've made..! :)

*It may be necessary to increase the canvass size of the background black before you can successfully grab the entire planet with this tool.....this prevents the tool just grabbing the entire window and once you increase the canvass and paint bucket it the same colour as the pre-existing background just select a tool diameter about 3/4 the planet's disk - maybe a tad more or less - and click it right on the centre of the disk...it'll "grab" and then "jump/expand" out to neatly encompass the entire planet - good for other applications also! :)

#4 tonyb

tonyb

Viking 1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Many thanks - you provided great guidance! :bow:
Lessons learned for me were:
1. 180 secs minimum for the video capture
2. use AutoStakkert for align, stack
Thanks again! Needless to say we've had fog all day today!

#5 Jay B

Jay B

Vostok 1

• Loc: Richmond, Virginia USA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Good image! I use a dbk also and this is a good image. I am surprised you were able to go at 180 seconds with a 3X. I usually use a 2x and have to keep it under 180 seconds.

#6 AlanL

AlanL

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Very impressive results, especially for a 9" scope!

#7 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

Nice work, Tony. It is sometimes tough to get 30fps and have good results with the D*K31. I couldn't make it work so well when I jumped from 8 inch to 14 inch aperture and greater focal lengths. Your 9.25 is probably just about right paired with DBK31.

#8 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

This is a great image. I have the same camera (to lazy to do RGB) and really struggle to get images this good.

Excellent.

If you would be so kind... Could you do a screen capture of your Camera settings and post it? I know I could learn from it.

Thanks, and again, a nice picture.

#9 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rockledge Fl

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Tony beautiful image, great resolution,color and processing.

#10 tonyb

tonyb

Viking 1

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hi there: Pretty much default settings for the camera other than: Y800 codec, 3 minutes capture, gain at around 90%, exp 1/30 sec, frame rate 30. The histogram is about 75% of saturation. Hope that helps.

#11 tonyb

tonyb

Viking 1

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hi there - yes, 180 secs definitely got me better end results and I was a bit hesitant to go that long, but then I read where others are using non-OSC cams with 60secs each for each channel. I also changed my other 3x Barlow to a 3x Televue and I could tell the difference in terms of sharpness even in the raw video image.

#12 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

The guys who have mono camera try to shoot short because of in the end, they have to line up the R, G and B channels in the final image. If they capture for too long, the limbs of the planet will be off on some of the channels and they have to either fix or hide that in post processing.

WinJupos derotation of video files helps them in that regard, but it isn't a complete fix. On a OSC, you capture all three channels at the same time and it allows you to go a little bit longer. You don't have to worry about limb artifacts. Of course, you can't go too long with the OSC, otherwise you will start seeing smearing of some of the details because of Jupiter's rotation.

#13 tonyb

tonyb

Viking 1

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Hi there. Yep agree on all counts. I've compared my Jupiter osc captures at 2mins and 3mins and seem to get best results at 3mins. I wouldn't go longer than 3mins though to your points about Jupiter's rotation.
Many thanks.

#14 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Yes it does. Maybe I am using the wrong Codec...

Thanks!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics