• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

new atlas about 2 months old. when trying to balance a c9.25 it seems the DEC is very firm or sticky. if the tube is far out of balance it drops to one side as it should, but when its in that fine tune area it just sticks when I know its still a little bit out of balance.
I move it in both directions and can feel the heavy side no problem with my hands. is this something that will loosen up a bit as time goes by. or maybe it could be the heavy black grease they use?
compared to the RA which takes off at a moments notice if I don't pay attention to the balance, even if its just a little off the RA will let me know real fast..

#2 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

The newer models don't use black grease, certainly not the two I owned in the past 3 years. As for the stiffness, the first thing I would do is to loosen the collar on the counterweight shaft to see if that helps.

Faron

#3 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

This is typical of the Atlas/CGEM mounts and is caused by the fit of the ring gear in the housing along with the quantity of grease (i.e., too much) and the quality of the grease (it is no long the black glue it use to be).

#4 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

ok thanks

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics