What power supply are you guys using

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 wakk0

wakk0

Explorer 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

Hi guys
I just purchased the ETX90 used as my first scope. I was wondering what power supply are you guys using. I was leaning towards Celestron Power Tank but I read bad reviews on Amazon..and the Meade version is overpriced and out of stock. I've been to the great Mike Weasner's site for infos too.

#2 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

Jump start battery pack from one of the box stores.

#3 dogeddie

dogeddie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

I have a Celestron Power Tank 7A that I recently had to change the battery on. They are fussy if you don't keep em charged. Suggest a Battery tender Junior if you go that route.

#4 wakk0

wakk0

Explorer 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Jump start battery pack from one of the box stores.

I have a car jump box at work. I was afraid about the power that it might fry the circuit. Its one of those Instant Power XP400. They are small. Just didnt want to risk it without asking you guys first. Thanks

#5 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Look for a powerpack that has "smart charging" circuitry. One that can be left plugged in indefinitely ... avoiding over-charging problems ... and one that can be re-charged at any point during the discharge cycle ... avoiding the "battery memory effect" problem. Many units don't have this feature and the internal battery can fail prematurely from overcharging or/or charging the battery when it's only partially discharged.

I bought a Duracell 300 Powerpack with "smart-charge" and it runs all my portable scopes (including the ETX-125) ... doing "double duty" around the house and on the road. I've had it for over 3 years and it still charges back up to 100%.

#6 wakk0

wakk0

Explorer 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

I have a Celestron Power Tank 7A that I recently had to change the battery on. They are fussy if you don't keep em charged. Suggest a Battery tender Junior if you go that route.

Thats what people are saying in the reviews.

#7 wakk0

wakk0

Explorer 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Look for a powerpack that has "smart charging" circuitry. One that can be left plugged in indefinitely ... avoiding over-charging problems ... and one that can be re-charged at any point during the discharge cycle ... avoiding the "battery memory effect" problem. Many units don't have this feature and the internal battery can fail prematurely from overcharging or/or charging the battery when it's only partially discharged.

I bought a Duracell 300 Powerpack with "smart-charge" and it runs all my portable scopes (including the ETX-125) ... doing "double duty" around the house and on the road. I've had it for over 3 years and it still charges back up to 100%.

I will look into that. Thanks =]

#8 tomatohead

tomatohead

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

I'm using Li-ion batteries they take up about half the space and weigh about half as much as deep cycle (AGM) batteries.

#9 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

motorcycle lead acid battery and charger.

#10 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

motorcycle lead acid battery and charger.

Close ... I use a 35Ah handicapped mobility scooter battery to power my scopes even in the observatory where I have plenty of electrical outlets..

It is no larger then most Motorcycle batters..most come with a built in carrying handle and most are sealed gel filled ...but the major reason I like them is that they are designed to be fully discharged and then recharged every single day yet last for longer then the energizer bunny can keep on beating his darn drum..

New about $75.00 but you can get these free quite often as handicapped individuals ten to replace their batteries every year or so just cheap insurance for them not to be stranded...

The one in my observatory has been in use (by me) for about 7 years old and it was used for a good year in a powered chair ...It however only holds 33 Ah worth of charge now..."biga" deal

I do keep a battery Tender Plus connected to it 24/7 when not in use ...

Bob G.

#11 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

I use a small jumpstart battery. The name brand is Shop Force and I picked them up for $20 when they were on sale.

#12 DonsDob

DonsDob

Explorer 1

• Loc: CT

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I picked up a Plus-Start battery charger at K-Mart for $40. I saw a couple of these at the Connecticut Star Party being used to power dew controllers and plan also to do that for my dob eventually.

#13 tomatohead

tomatohead

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

I work in the "Power Mobility" industry and what Bob Griffiths is referring to is what's called a U1 battery. He's right it's 33-35 AH' which is about 2-3 times the capacity of what most people call "power tank" supplies. While the added capacity may seem inviting, unless you like to "tinker" you may find the "power tank" more inviting despite it's limited capacity (7-18AH).

#14 wakk0

wakk0

Explorer 1

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Great infos guy. Thank you

#15 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal Texas.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Question for the guys using "home-made" solutions - how are you connecting to the battery? Are you just alligator-clipping to the terminals, or are you using some kind of volt/amp controller?

Reason I ask, I tried to rig up a 12v battery last weekend, using 2x6v "lantern" batteries. It would power the Autostar, but not the motors...

#16 tomatohead

tomatohead

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

As I said earlier, I'm using Li-Ion batteries. The battery pack has a female coaxial DC connector like the one in the 125 base. I have a cord with male coaxial DC on each end which connects the batteries to the scope. The battery pack being Li-Ion @ 12.6 Volts and 13.2 AH is small enough and light enough is attached with VELCRO to a leg on my 886 tripod.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics