14 replies to this topic

#1 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

I have question about the focuser on Vixen ED81S
First I love this scope and actually the focusing mechanism is very smooth no troubles there
but the 2” diagonal holder is on the flimsy side and the locking ring is tightened down by two small finger screws they are tough to tighten fully
and if they are not then the loaded diagonal will have the tendency to tip sideward (rotate)
So my question: Is it possible to replace this part of the focuser only and does there exist an off the shelf replacement?
I would really like something less fiddly and maybe stronger yet still keep the actual focuser
I appreciate your time thx

Attached Files

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

Gert:

The part you are looking for is normally called a "Visual Back." I don't know if an upgrade is available. In my experience with similar focusers, the difficulty is that the screws are too short to adequately tighten and the heads are quite small. A first step might be to replace the existing screws with longer screws with larger heads. I would recommend brass because it is soft.

Jon

#3 a_adam

a_adam

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

I belive one of the Baader ClickLock adapters is made to replace that part:

#2956260 - Baader 2" ClickLock Clamp M60 (Vixen M60x0.75)

Since I haven't tried this combination myself, I suggest you e-mail Baader and ask for a confirmation that it will fit before ordering that part.

Cheers!

-André

#4 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

@ Jon
Thanks for your reply I was thinking new screws myself, but worry that a better grip will tear of the tread
Brass is a very good solution, but seeing now that a fitting click lock exist
I might just go all the way and replace the Visual back ;) altogether.

@ André
Thanks I was hoping for something like this and It does indeed look like that will fit my scope
Coolness

Do you by the way know anything about the quality and feel of the Baarder clamp, is it solid?

Anyway great help guys, this community is the best always a ready answer :bow:

#5 a_adam

a_adam

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hi Gert,

yes, I do have a ClickLock visual back on my Mak, as well as the 2" ClickLock diagonal. You'll love it, they are mechanically finest quality, and by far the smartest system available when it comes to connecting parts. Money well spent.

Cheers!

-André

#6 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

I totally support that; I have the 2" clicklock on my 3 scopes and the 1.25" clicklock eyepiece clamp on all my diagonals.
Just be aware though, that it adds physical length to your system and you need to make sure you have adequate inward focus range available to compensate. Also, check that the locking ring on your focusser does indeed come off, and what the threading is.

#7 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

@ André

Ok it will be on the top of the list for my next shopping spree :)

@ Mark

Well the Vixen focuser has quite a bit of travel actually +3” I got to check on next session where my focus is
I seem to recall seeing quite a bit of tube, but I will have to double check. As far as I can see the clamp ads 31mm/1”.
You are right off course it is not much help if I cannot reach focus.
I can as usual not find much online info on the ED81S, but that’s just the same problem that I was facing when I first got it.
(I wonder why that is btw. it is such a lovely little scope.)
Anyway like much else in this hobby I have to somewhat chance it on this one,
I mean it simply looks too good to pass up really.

Thx again for your help

#8 MIKEG

MIKEG

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

I have a vixen ed100 and was looking for an inexpensive replacement for this part and Scopestuff had a 2" brass compression ring replacement that I ordered . I can't tell you how it compares because it is coming in the mail , but I think it will be a great improvement .

#9 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Very nice Mike
I would love to hear how that one works out when you get it, I mite still get the Baader,
but its good to know that there are other options, should that one not work out.

It’s the “Focuser Adapter for Synta Refractors”.. Right? (Scopestuff is in a bad need for a webmaster)
It's a good deal at $43.50 with the brass screws.
The ring is very discrete much like the original but looks a lot stronger. Nice find :waytogo:

#10 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

I have two Vixen scopes. A VMC 200 L and an ED 103 S. I had the same problem with securing the diagonal until I lubricated the set screws with a small amount of lubricant. I used a lip balm which is basically a light wax. You could also so use paraffin or Vaseline. I worked the screws in and out to spread it evenly. It helps defeat any roughness in the threads that might make you think the screws are tight when they are not.

#11 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

That’s an idea I will try to lube the screws, that’s a simple fix, if that works it will make me feel rather silly posting lol,
but honestly they don’t seem tight at all but rather a bit loose.
And ohh a VMC200L I have been looking at those on and off for a while now, that’s a very interesting scope.
How is that working for you, do you use it for visual or AP?

#12 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

The lube just helps when the threads get under pressure. Mine felt loose too. But when a screw begins to tighten against something the threads press hard against each other. One part is a ramp the other an object moving up the ramp. The lube lessons the resistance as the pressure increases. The VMC 200 is a good scope. I also have a NexStar 8SE. Optically they are about the same but I think the C8 is a bit better on planets because it has less obstruction. The VMC is much better built. I'm strictly visual and use the 103 most of the time. It is very good optically, never moody with cool down or tube currents. Its like a golden retriever always happy and eager to please:)

#13 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Another thing that can cause a diagonal to feel not secure is those bloody safety cuts on the diagonal barrel that goes into the focuser. Some are tapered and some are just a machined recess in the barrel of the diagonal. But both types I have seen return to the full 2" diameter near the body of the diagonal. Sometimes, and this is the case with my Vixens and the 2" Astrotech diagonal I have, the set screws will hit half on the shoulder of the tapered machined recess near the body of the diagonal. The result is a bump to the diagonal and it feels loose. Hope that makes sense. The solution I found is to put a 2" O ring on the barrel against the diagonal body which kicks the diagonal further out and lets the screws tighten into the safety cut.

#14 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

-Nippon

Oh yes the Nexstar has had a bit of my attention too and what's holding me back is I live in the middle of the city on the second floor
of an apartment building (no balcony and very little sky out my window) cooldown time is there for one of my major concerns.
So I end up with rather small refractors. Not that I complain I’m actually quite happy with the crisp views of a nice refractor,
but once in a while one would like a little more power :p

I get you! the machining of my diagonal might play a part I got the Vixen 2”
Also I just found that the whole ring (the Visual back) can rotate, It’s not firm on the tread at all
So it might actually be that the ring does grip the diagonal but it rotates on the tread of the pipe.
Being that this happens in the dark, I’m now not sure at all which joint is the cause of the issue. Probably all of the above.

I will however go through it all and firm it up.. though I still got the hots for the click lock :grin:

#15 Gert K A

Gert K A

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Just to round this one off
I finally got around to get this visual back from Baader and what an improvement
It’s steady as a rock and adds no more than 1/2” to the focus which have no impact for me at all
It is very easy to work with and the swap took less than a minute.
Thank you guys for the feedback :bow: I am very happy with this solution.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics